Prediction The future of Fasolo

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a shame. We won’t get anything for him now. Should have been sent last year
People need to stop jumping to conclusions, he could have gone last year but doesn't want to leave the pies, he had no pre-season and was getting his fitness back in the VFL, he still looked a bit overweight. On channel 7 news tonight he reported that it wasn't as sore as yesterday and should only be 4 weeks out, just chill people, he won't be leaving the Pies he's 26 ffs, if Crocker got a 2 year extension last year then Faz will also be resigned

People need to stop jumping to conclusions, he could have gone last year but doesn't want to leave the pies, he had no pre-season and was getting his fitness back in the VFL, he still looked a bit overweight. On channel 7 news tonight he reported that it wasn't as sore as yesterday and should only be 4 weeks out, just chill people, he won't be leaving the Pies he's 26 ffs, if Crocker got a 2 year extension last year then Faz will also be resigned
I guess it’s not so much a conclusion, but an opinion of mine that from a list management perspective we’re better off without Fasolo than with.

The cynic in me thinks that's the last time we'll see Fasolo in Collingwood colours.

I think we if sign De Goey and Moore, then we'll have to make room, so guys like Fasolo and Reid will likely be moved on.

I'm of the opposite view. I think we'll try to retain guys like Faz and Reid because at worst they'll be cheaper and still provide quality depth.

Despite the number of players we have OOC at seasons end, I don't actually think we'll be big players this year in terms of the number of changes, 5-6 tops, and quite a few of those OOC players will get at least 1 year extensions. Of course, can't predict potential retirements (Dunn, Varcoe, Goldsack maybe) or who'll request a shift.

Didn’t Varcoe sign a one year extension at the beginning of the year?

Yep, signed on at the same time as Crocker and Phillips. Doesn't mean he can't contemplate retirement at seasons end.

I'm of the opposite view. I think we'll try to retain guys like Faz and Reid because at worst they'll be cheaper and still provide quality depth.

Despite the number of players we have OOC at seasons end, I don't actually think we'll be big players this year in terms of the number of changes, 5-6 tops, and quite a few of those OOC players will get at least 1 year extensions. Of course, can't predict potential retirements (Dunn, Varcoe, Goldsack maybe) or who'll request a shift.

How many changes do we HAVE to make?

I'm of the opposite view. I think we'll try to retain guys like Faz and Reid because at worst they'll be cheaper and still provide quality.

I think signing the young talented guys is the number one priority - or at least seeing where they are at. You need to know how much cap space they will be taking up, or what positions you need to fill. (Say if Darcy, or Shaz, decide to leave - thats some pretty big holes in list planning).
Guys who are on the fringes of the 22, or worse, or who only have a year or two left, come after thats all done. Only caveat is if you are confident they will be useful for the following year, and can get them to sign for cheap. You would hate to be pushed up by 50-100k/yr each on 4 or 5 fringe guys, and then miss out on keeping Darcy, or on signing Lynch, if we are short 100k in cap room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is probably the last we see of Fasolo. Out for 2 months... then needs a month of VFL.

Can't see why he would stay at Collingwood. Will get more better money and a longer contract going to a club that has chased his services.... and therefore are likely to play him every week.

So: Blair, Broomhead (to the rookie), maybe Smith (though he seems a Bucks favourite), and Fasolo or another traded out maybe. Maybe a retirement too (Varcoe, Reid, Dunn, Goldsack?)

I'd start with:

GONE: Smith, Blair, Oxley, Mayne (take the hit on his final years), and Greenwood. That gives you 4 senior list spots and 1 rookie list spot.

All very handy depth but they're the less important to retain than some of the kids.

Then maybe look at the (potential) retirees and those requesting trades.

Then might have to make some hard calls.

If we go into trade - draft period with a minimum 5 senior spots and a rookie spot it would allow us to grab a FA, a 1st round kid (hopefully before the F/S-NGA bids come), and then focus on the F/S and NGA types. Having a rookie spot gives us more flexibility if 1 of the F/S - NGA types slide.

I think signing the young talented guys is the number one priority - or at least seeing where they are at. You need to know how much cap space they will be taking up, or what positions you need to fill. (Say if Darcy, or Shaz, decide to leave - thats some pretty big holes in list planning).
Guys who are on the fringes of the 22, or worse, or who only have a year or two left, come after thats all done. Only caveat is if you are confident they will be useful for the following year, and can get them to sign for cheap. You would hate to be pushed up by 50-100k/yr each on 4 or 5 fringe guys, and then miss out on keeping Darcy, or on signing Lynch, if we are short 100k in cap room.

Without any actual evidence to support my conclusions I've consistently thought we were closer to 95% minimum TPP must spend which means we've banked $600k this year that we can also use next. That's $1.2M if we then have a splurge and go to the 105% maximum in 2019, and that's without offloading any players. And lets not forget that that 2018 95% also includes what players like JDG and Moore are currently earning so you only need to find the increases, not the total of what their new contracts are.

And then you start to look at who departs. Off course they'll be a few fringe players who don't get signed until the last minute but realistically to gain any real TPP wriggle room you need to lose mid-range or better earners (which is why I suggested Greenwood elsewhere) because the guys you bring in via the draft could end up costing as much as the cheap fringe players you off-load (Blair, Smith, Oxley types) once you factor in minimum salary + match payments (VFL or senior). They hopefully improve your playing group but there aren't huge savings.

I'd start with:

GONE: Smith, Blair, Oxley, Mayne (take the hit on his final years), and Greenwood. That gives you 4 senior list spots and 1 rookie list spot.

All very handy depth but they're the less important to retain than some of the kids.

Then maybe look at the (potential) retirees and those requesting trades.

Then might have to make some hard calls.

If we go into trade - draft period with a minimum 5 senior spots and a rookie spot it would allow us to grab a FA, a 1st round kid (hopefully before the F/S-NGA bids come), and then focus on the F/S and NGA types. Having a rookie spot gives us more flexibility if 1 of the F/S - NGA types slide.

Oxley is a rookie. But agree except Greenwood I'd keep (this probably belongs on another thread though). Can't see them getting rid of Mayne, especially since he's playing seniors. Probably he'd get paid out at the end of next year.

Oxley is a rookie. But agree except Greenwood I'd keep (this probably belongs on another thread though). Can't see them getting rid of Mayne, especially since he's playing seniors. Probably he'd get paid out at the end of next year.

Yep, which is why I said 4 and 1.

Someone among the uncontracted has to go. Should it be C Brown and K Kirby (assuming he's cleared to play) instead of Greenwood and Mayne? Or Broomy and Faz? Which pair potentially offers the least going forward?

Mayne's salary will need to be charged against TPP for every year of his contract irrespective of whether we pay him out at the end of this year or next.

If they're willing to take pay cuts then yes.

But if someone like Sydney comes along and offers Reid 2 years at decent quid, then he's gone. We need to shave some salary cap to retain De Goey and Moore. Similar with Fas. If West Coast offers him a decent 1 or 2 year deal, he probably takes it, and we'll let him walk to again free up some cap.

Lots of eulogising on here for someone whose career isn’t dead
I thought l was reading the funeral notices at one stage.
Hopefully there is still time for him to play for us.

i think we missed the boat on trading for Fasolo. 2 years ago we possibly could have gotten an early 2nd rounder. last year a late 2nd rounder. now with basically only form in the VFL we would be lucky to get a 3rd rounder. based on that a 3rd rounder ( unless you get a father son ) is usually a roughie i'd now actually stick with Fasolo and Hope that he has a change of fortune and can one day play on his potential consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back