Religion The God Question - part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

i tried looking over your posts but its awfully boring, are you claiming or implying there is no g0d?

if so do you have proof? extraordinary proof?

why does it go one way only in your book

I can't speak for others but I feel most non-theists are suggesting that there may well be an omnipotent, being/beings.........but just not the all-seeing, all caring, all loving ones we've been fed a diet of.....or even that the term god itself may not represent a personal type of god that most mainstream religions rely upon.

What's your story?

Yep, but nonetheless it remains a statiscal improbability that, for all other known and unknown planets, this earth is the only place where it has occurred.

Impossibility may be closer to the mark.

~500 billion stars in our galaxy * ~500 billion galaxies..............take it further = * how many universes/multiverses?

We're even still trying to find life in our own solar system. :) Yes, there will be other life scattered across the universe/s

yes those atheist that believe in god/s ...

No one should believe anything without proof. That's silly, isn't it?
Believing, trusting, having faith in......just because your mum and dad told you to, is pretty dumb, isn't it?

Being open to possibilities isn't dumb. It's being critcal minded, but it's hard to be open minded to what man tells you/demands of you.
That doesn't make for a free and open mind. Who'd want to live like that? :)

No one should believe anything without proof. That's silly, isn't it?
Believing, trusting, having faith in......just because your mum and dad told you to, is pretty dumb, isn't it?

Being open to possibilities isn't dumb. It's being critcal minded, but it's hard to be open minded to what man tells you/demands of you.
That doesn't make for a free and open mind. Who'd want to live like that? :)

thatd be agnostic

not cry baby militant atheist like --->
ya derbrain.

thatd be agnostic

what harker said above is correct. The earth was a sea of ice for millions of years and was also too hot to be anything for millions of years. In our short human history of about 100,000 years its almost irrelevant when you compare it to the timeline of earths existence. I have said it before that if a planet has oxygen and water, then life will happen. There is no need to invoke god in it.

Impossibility may be closer to the mark.

~500 billion stars in our galaxy * ~500 billion galaxies..............take it further = * how many universes/multiverses?

We're even still trying to find life in our own solar system. :) Yes, there will be other life scattered across the universe/s

Had to read your response twice mate to make sure I got it right at this late stage of the post Xmas drinks with neighbours night. You know what spins me out? The school of thought that supposes the universe/multiverse is infinite. If that's the case then there exists a world where two organisms identical to ourselves are having the exact same conversation right now. Also the exact same conversation a millisecond later and/or after. And also exactly the same but the biggest hair in my left eyebrow is arranged slightly differently. And so on and so on. Because such things are what an infinite universe demands.

Had to read your response twice mate to make sure I got it right at this late stage of the post Xmas drinks with neighbours night. You know what spins me out? The school of thought that supposes the universe/multiverse is infinite. If that's the case then there exists a world where two organisms identical to ourselves are having the exact same conversation right now. Also the exact same conversation a millisecond later and/or after. And also exactly the same but the biggest hair in my left eyebrow is arranged slightly differently. And so on and so on. Because such things are what an infinite universe demands.
Yep same here, but what spins me out is the expanding universe! whats it expanding into etc etc. There are many questions we need answers to but these primitive con artists still wont let go of their god.

Yep same here, but what spins me out is the expanding universe! whats it expanding into etc etc. There are many questions we need answers to but these primitive con artists still wont let go of their god.

Really enjoy watching documentaries on this subject. Occasionally there's some nerd quantum physicist who knows something we don't but tries his or her best to explain it as best he or she can. In this matter I've seen it explained as an increase in the space between objects. Is that true or is that even a proper way to ask the question or explain anything at all? Don't know.

Truth is always stranger than fiction. To my mind there can be no gods because the idea is such a pissweak cop out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The universe isn't everything that exists, it's just everything that we know that exists, there could be stuff beyond the limits of our universe, and that's what it is expanding into, or towards. It isn't necessarily expanding into nothing. But I suppose the same questions could be raised, what is everything expanding into? Some things are just difficult for us to understand.

You know what spins me out? The school of thought that supposes the universe/multiverse is infinite. If that's the case then there exists a world where two organisms identical to ourselves are having the exact same conversation right now.
It's infinite in terms of having no boundaries and that there is nothing other than 'it'. It is not infinite in terms of scale.

Any thing within the universe/multiverse is finite by definition but the container, so to speak, is infinite (not finite).

thatd be agnostic

Sigh.

So you want so hard for certain historical events to be special,they are not.
You wanted the eye to be special,it is not.
You wanted the earth and it's somewhat extraordinary position in our solar system to be special,the Hubble has told us it's most likely not.

I'm not sure how a reasonable human could not come to this conclusion given what science has discovered over the last 3/400 years.
We aren't special,there wasn't some big ol' special daddy figure cooking up the ingredients for the universe solely for us.
If it looks like a fairytale sounds like a fairytale,then it's a godammed fairytale.
You've bored me enough with your nonsense.
Put up or shut up!

It's infinite in terms of having no boundaries and that there is nothing other than 'it'. It is not infinite in terms of scale.

Any thing within the universe/multiverse is finite by definition but the container, so to speak, is infinite (not finite).
Nice work evo
A funny but decent example is the alien playing marbles with the universes contained in them at the end of the Men in Black movie.
We don't know enough l,but we know some pretty good basics and very little if any contain creator force principles.
Not sure how a leap of faith to god,makes our reality any easier or worthy of how grand our existence is.
Flat universe principle by Lawrence Krauss is good place to start for the basics.

I can't speak for others but I feel most non-theists are suggesting that there may well be an omnipotent, being/beings.........but just not the all-seeing, all caring, all loving ones we've been fed a diet of.....or even that the term god itself may not represent a personal type of god that most mainstream religions rely upon.

What's your story?
Not in my house.
We are of the belief that there is nothing,el zilcho that hides behind the "what's knowable".
My mum considered herself agnostic,my bro never expressed an opinion,my father was fierce in his anti-theist stance.
Obviously the old mans rants rubbed off on me quite dramatically and forced my position,although it lead me into several years of in depth enquiry in to studying religion and cults.

I'm just not too enthusiastic or enthralled by idol worship and find it lacking in personal development and growth.
I find that it hinders both,when an all seeing eye is placed at the forefront of any belief system.
I've met several Muslims in the past few days and their look of astonishment when I've said that I'm an anti theist,but has been met with acceptance.
They seemed to be cool with my choice given what I expressed to them what I said above.
"Well if that's the way your were raised I don't see how you could think anything different"
None saw it as a challenge to their beliefs and found it intriguing considering the lack choice they were given in their upbringing.
They were brief encounters and it was my enquiry that lead the conversation down this path,so it just goes to show that no matter who or where or what your circumstance,we only need to accept the challenge of our beliefs being raised and hopefully in the future,challenged.

Are you claiming or implying there is no g0d?

if so do you have proof? extraordinary proof?

Yes come on ChelseaCarlton, prove there is no GOD.
Because Cannot is holding the reasonable position to believe in stuff until you can prove it wrong.

Of course this means Cannot believes in
Demons
Dragons
Fairies
Vampires
werewolves
gremlins
devils
bigfoot
the noch ness monster
trolls
Unicorns

and the sending money to the Nigerian Royal family

Not in my house.
We are of the belief that there is nothing,el zilcho that hides behind the "what's knowable".
My mum considered herself agnostic,my bro never expressed an opinion,my father was fierce in his anti-theist stance.
Obviously the old mans rants rubbed off on me quite dramatically and forced my position,although it lead me into several years of in depth enquiry in to studying religion and cults.

I'm just not too enthusiastic or enthralled by idol worship and find it lacking in personal development and growth.
I find that it hinders both,when an all seeing eye is placed at the forefront of any belief system.
I've met several Muslims in the past few days and their look of astonishment when I've said that I'm an anti theist,but has been met with acceptance.
They seemed to be cool with my choice given what I expressed to them what I said above.
"Well if that's the way your were raised I don't see how you could think anything different"
None saw it as a challenge to their beliefs and found it intriguing considering the lack choice they were given in their upbringing.
They were brief encounters and it was my enquiry that lead the conversation down this path,so it just goes to show that no matter who or where or what your circumstance,we only need to accept the challenge of our beliefs being raised and hopefully in the future,challenged.

May be the difference and it may be a small difference, is that I don't believe (subscribe) to anything, without it passing through my own filter.
Now that filter may be way of whack, but it's all I have and to date and it has served me very well indeed, for now.

I don't want to simply believe in anything theist or non-theist, just because it somehow subscribes to some formula or worse.........a self-serving belief.
Ego has to be taken out of the equation and only evidence and the best of what we have in logic and science, to come into account....and even with the best of tools, we have to be open to being able to admit, that we may be wrong.

I'm happy to leave myself open to things I can't imagine yet, but I don't care to be beholden to some ancient mans words. I just don't trust man.

May be the difference and it may be a small difference, is that I don't believe (subscribe) to anything, without it passing through my own filter.
Now that filter may be way of whack, but it's all I have and to date and it has served me very well indeed, for now.

I don't want to simply believe in anything theist or non-theist, just because it somehow subscribes to some formula or worse.........a self-serving belief.
Ego has to be taken out of the equation and only evidence and the best of what we have in logic and science, to come into account....and even with the best of tools, we have to be open to being able to admit, that we may be wrong.

I'm happy to leave myself open to things I can't imagine yet, but I don't care to be beholden to some ancient mans words. I just don't trust man.

Well said. I dont believe in anything actually, as universe depends on the observer, QM says. If thats the case there is nothing called objective truth and all these arguments we are having is irrelevant. The possbilities are infinite, god is one of them but not the only possibility. What shits me though is when theists say science is a human construct and then subscribe to meta physics which is another human construct. How on earth will someone have a clue what exists outside of space/time if any such place exists at all? there is no way anyone can find out so i wish these pseudo intellectuals would stop pretending that they have the answers when they are clearly nothing but frauds.

I dont believe in anything actually, as universe depends on the observer, QM says. If thats the case there is nothing called objective truth and all these arguments we are having is irrelevant. The possbilities are infinite, god is one of them but not the only possibility. What shits me though is when theists say science is a human construct and then subscribe to meta physics which is another human construct. How on earth will someone have a clue what exists outside of space/time if any such place exists at all? there is no way anyone can find out so i wish these pseudo intellectuals would stop pretending that they have the answers when they are clearly nothing but frauds.

Amen

End of thread, thank you very much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back