"The Great Resignation"

Remove this Banner Ad

If so many will be working from home it will kill off the inner city (Melbourne I mean).

There's already reports of regional property prices going down again as tree-changers start missing city things they took for granted before moving.

I lived on Phillip Island for six months last year but couldn't do it permanently.

I think people are getting confused between regional and rural. I'm not talking about the country. I'm talking about regional centres like Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton and Toowoomba for Queensland. I'm sure other states have their equivalents.

None of those cities even have Musica Viva

I don't know about the other places but Rocky has a great theatre with national and international artists.

The last opera I listened to was Carmen in the Seville Bullring flew there from rural Qld ...best of both worlds

I don't know about the other places but Rocky has a great theatre with national and international artists.

I’m not trying to knock the arts scene in regional areas, which is way better than it used to be, but any place with such a small population is always going to be incredibly limited for anyone who has even slightly niche interests

The last opera I listened to was Carmen in the Seville Bullring flew there from rural Qld ...best of both worlds
That’s lovely, but if you have a real passion for opera (or chamber music, or Brechtian theatre, or central Asian cinema) it is nice to be able to see good quality productions on a regular basis without having to travel huge distances

Same goes for footy, cricket, popular bands, Broadway shows, whatever you’re into

It’s not important to everyone but to say it’s not an advantage of living in the city is crazy

Last edited:
I’m not trying to knock the arts scene in regional areas, which is way better than it used to be, but it’s incredibly limited for anyone who has even slightly niche interests

That’s lovely, but if you have a real passion for opera (or chamber music, or Brechtian theatre, or central Asian cinema) it is nice to be able to see good quality productions on a regular basis without having to travel huge distances

Same goes for footy, cricket, popular bands, Broadway shows, whatever you’re into

It’s not important to everyone but to say it’s not an advantage of living in the city is crazy
If you live in regional city with an airport ,those things are just a short plane ride away with a weekend stay over.
When I lived in Melbourne I would go to gallery openings,the theatre regularly see bands and orchestras and Broadway shows,footy a bit of cricket tennis and the races
Eat out 2 or 3 times a week

But most of that doesnt interest me any more.
Im happy to live a simple life in the bush and get a massive culture injection when I travel OS.
I want to see the great galleries and the great architecture and see some history and taste local food.....Australian cities are good but the bush is better and OS travel is the only way to scratch that itch

That’s fine if it’s where your priorities are

Personally I have lived a fair whack of my life in both regional and metro areas, and have enjoyed different aspects of both. But when I am outside the major cities, I really feel the cultural isolation.

And it’s not just about lack of access to performances and events, which to an extent can be rectified with money and time to travel. It’s also about lack of any sort of local community to engage with around whatever niche thing you are passionate about.

Lol at Coles, we're worried people might decide to live their lives or take better paying jobs

you pricks have been done for wage theft in the past maybe stop being cheap

Coles CEO

His other pressure point is staff shortages which he is bracing for now that hospitality and tourism are being revived thanks to easing lockdowns and border closures.

Supermarkets compete with tourism and hospitality for that casual part of the workforce.
He also fears that students who fill in the gaps in this casual workforce may take the money they socked away during COVID and go travelling rather than look for summer jobs at supermarkets.

or did you mean the wage theft part

Lol at Coles, we're worried people might decide to live their lives or take better paying jobs

you pricks have been done for wage theft in the past maybe stop being cheap
He needs OS students now or he will have to pay more

Seems to be becoming a conversation that is growing and I think as the rest of this year goes it will keep becoming a bigger conversation.

I had a brief discussion with my sales team about a couple of ideas I had whereby they could be offered some flexibility but would still be held to the same KPIs as well as still needing to ensure that the business is manned in the same required time slots and they're all basically on board with anything given it means some extra personal time for themselves..

I think most trials of the 4 day working work overseas have showed peoples productivity stays the same and in some cases more work was getting done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was literally a German opera focused from the time between WW1 and WW2 performing in town before the pandemic.

My neighbour is the manager of the philarmonic club who perform classic music and symphonies regularly.

But no, country areas don't have music and culture and niche interests catered to.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

But I digress.

I don't think simply having events on constitutes a culture.

Melbourne's culture is apparently sport mad yet games in Melbourne can often be the lowest drawing in the round, lower attendance than SA and WA games.

There was literally a German opera focused from the time between WW1 and WW2 performing in town before the pandemic.

My neighbour is the manager of the philarmonic club who perform classic music and symphonies regularly.

But no, country areas don't have music and culture and niche interests catered to.

We have barefoot bowls, beer and a burger followed by quiz night at the local bowls club.....more fun than most big city "cultural" events

I think most trials of the 4 day working work overseas have showed peoples productivity stays the same and in some cases more work was getting done.

Yep.. it would just be about getting Australians to adapt, because the older fuddy duddys don't like change

I’m not trying to knock the arts scene in regional areas, which is way better than it used to be, but any place with such a small population is always going to be incredibly limited for anyone who has even slightly niche interests

1% of the population go to the opera regularly. For most of the population it's not even a consideration.

1% of the population go to the opera regularly. For most of the population it's not even a consideration.
Opera is an illustrative example only

Talking real Toff elitism with the whole but arts and culture only exist in the city where I can see a European Opera or Symphony
If you have a problem with the example, substitute death metal or baseball or something

There are a million niche interests and communities out there - plenty of which have nothing to do with the fine arts - that effectively don’t exist in regional areas

Actually that reminds me I gotta get back to trying to write this regional town art heist movie.

After finding out the value of the works in the local art gallery I think it would definitely be a profitable venture for any willing thieves.

Ceaser must be thinking a regional town is something with like, 490 people.

There's a baseball league here and some of Australia's finest metal musicians have from from here, leaving a good metal scene with talented musicians.

Actually that reminds me I gotta get back to trying to write this regional town art heist movie.

After finding out the value of the works in the local art gallery I think it would definitely be a profitable venture for any willing thieves.

Do they still have the fake Rembrandt ?

Ceaser must be thinking a regional town is something with like, 490 people.

There's a baseball league here and some of Australia's finest metal musicians have from from here, leaving a good metal scene with talented musicians.
If you're happy with the quality of the baseball and metal scenes in your local town, that's awesome - there are a lot of people who are perfectly happy with the modest cultural offerings of rural and regional areas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back