"The Great Resignation"

Remove this Banner Ad

Best way to keep your career progressing and increase your salary is to regularly change jobs. Anyone who stays in the same position for longer than 2-3 years is doing themselves a disservice.

I traded in my perfectly okay job about 18 months ago because I was over the repetitive work and old-school management. Landed a more interesting position with better pay and more flexibility. I've already been promoted once, I work from wherever I like, and I essentially get to pick and choose my own projects.

If you're unhappy you have nothing to lose by making a change - especially given the opportunities the pandemic has thrown up. If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

Yes and no. Stay in the same place too long you risk going nowhere. Move too often and you risk being seen as the guy who can't stick anything out and has no loyalty. I probably wouldn't take on someone for a career position that had 5 jobs in 2 years by choice.

I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to take time off in their 20s. I worked full time from 22/23 -27/28 and took off 6-7 months in that time above and beyond the standard 4 weeks annual leave per year. Don't regret it at all, and if I didn't do it then even without COVID I doubt I would do it now. I do have a couple friends doing the caravan around Australia thing now/soon in their mid 30s. I say go for it for that too while they are financially able and it isn't going to disrupt their kids schooling.

You reap what you sow will always apply, though. If you choose to quit your job (or jobs) because it's not everything you hoped and dreamed then don't cry to me when people with more/better experience find career progression easier or enter the housing market etc.

Did she start hating her job overnight?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Dunno.

I've worked with people that hate their jobs a seriously unhealthy amount. To me a job is a job, and if your job has such a negative impact on the rest of your life you really need to do something else. People over here get sucked into FIFO for the cash money then can't get out either because they over commit financially and can't go back to a lesser wage or don't have transferable skills. Or both.

A friend of mine works up north and makes the blackboard from Mr Squiggle look cheerful. All to make $150-200k a year which doesn't really go towards anything. Each to their own I guess.

Dunno.

I've worked with people that hate their jobs a seriously unhealthy amount. To me a job is a job, and if your job has such a negative impact on the rest of your life you really need to do something else. People over here get sucked into FIFO for the cash money then can't get out either because they over commit financially and can't go back to a lesser wage or don't have transferable skills. Or both.

A friend of mine works up north and makes the blackboard from Mr Squiggle look cheerful. All to make $150-200k a year which doesn't really go towards anything. Each to their own I guess.
One of my best mates got a local mine job that's more than double his previous wage and like a third the time at work, and all he does is complain about it, because he drives trucks and it's quiet and boring.

Well he can go back to being a tyre fitter on 24/7 call if he wants, which he complained about less, but... that I suggested he could get his old job back, but it doesn't appeal to him, for no specific reason given. The finances aren't a big deal as he could afford his lifestyle fine before too.

Dunno.

It always makes me laugh when people carry on about other people doing it like it's somehow 'easy' money.

One of my best mates got a local mine job that's more than double his previous wage and like a third the time at work, and all he does is complain about it, because he drives trucks and it's quiet and boring.

Well he can go back to being a tyre fitter on 24/7 call if he wants, which he complained about less, but... that I suggested he could get his old job back, but it doesn't appeal to him, for no specific reason given. The finances aren't a big deal as he could afford his lifestyle fine before too.

Some people are never happy.

I'm pretty glad I spent a couple of years working with a bloke with a bit of a left field approach to life. Mid 40s no kids, worked part time and wife did likewise, house paid off (a bit easier being old enough to get into the market before the mid 2000s boom), just in no way motivated by working full time to earn as much as he could because that got in the way of doing cool s**t. Work is just something he did to fund life, which is how it should be.

I'm pretty glad I spent a couple of years working with a bloke with a bit of a left field approach to life. Mid 40s no kids, worked part time and wife did likewise, house paid off (a bit easier being old enough to get into the market before the mid 2000s boom), just in no way motivated by working full time to earn as much as he could because that got in the way of doing cool sh*t. Work is just something he did to fund life, which is how it should be.
Agree.

I just think people do value earning money more than they put on, which is fine. But if their job causes so much negatively and they can afford to earn less, then it's hard to sympathise. Really hard. It's hard to even care.

I know how much his mortgage is. A third of ours. He earns 50% more than missus and I together. At some point you don't care to hear it when they have no reason to keep doing it with such viable alternatives available.

It always makes me laugh when people carry on about other people doing it like it's somehow 'easy' money.

It always makes me laugh when people carry on about how hard done by they are doing it like they are spending 18 hours a day down a coal mine. If you are going to site 4 days a week where 99% of the time you are in an air conditioned office and then spending every weekend at home don't pretend you are working on an oil rig in the North Sea for months on end.

I figure if you want to do it, do it. If you don't, don't. Like any job it's something you need to keep on top of. Even in the city doing shift work has different challenges compared to something like teaching which has clearly defined (contact) hours. The money is there if you want it, but sacrifice is there too.

5 jobs in 2 years
That’s like a job every 5 months, not really what we’re talking about

I generally use the rule of thumb of a year to learn a job, a year to make changes and a year to consolidate. After 2 years I’ve generally got the bulk of the resume value out of the position, and after 3 I kind of want to be on to the next thing (be it promotion, transfer or change of company). I’ve left a couple of jobs in shorter periods when it became apparent that the department had big problems and there was no managerial appetite to fix them.

I’m not sure if that makes me look like I lack loyalty. I’m hopeful it makes me look like someone who gets in and get the job done. At least when I am hiring, I am more interested in a record of achievement than tenure.

I don’t know if I’ll take the same approach my whole career. As Syd says, as I get older I’ll probably find it harder to get jobs, and if I rise further up the tree I’ll probably find it takes a lot longer to implement change. But it works well at the moment.

Last edited:

I'm pretty glad I spent a couple of years working with a bloke with a bit of a left field approach to life. Mid 40s no kids, worked part time and wife did likewise, house paid off (a bit easier being old enough to get into the market before the mid 2000s boom), just in no way motivated by working full time to earn as much as he could because that got in the way of doing cool sh*t. Work is just something he did to fund life, which is how it should be.

That sounds fun.. hah

How many people do we think think they hate their job just because they think they're supposed to or something?

As someone said before - there's I hate my job and I hate my job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But I digress.

I don't think simply having events on constitutes a culture.

Melbourne's culture is apparently sport mad yet games in Melbourne can often be the lowest drawing in the round, lower attendance than SA and WA games.

sorry, picked your post to jump in to the thread during a discussion which may have finished up by now (only just started reading this thread), so might not apply

there's very much a vicious circle when it comes to cultural attractions in regional centres. they require funding that the local populace can't provide, and many aren't interested because they assume the offerings are all there is to enjoy of it ever. when presented with a choice many regional populations are typically very reluctant to embrace anything that gives the impression it may financially intrude into their favoured activities or even just if it means the footpaths don't get fixed - they're aware that the money pie is not as big. and this is before we even touch on the subjective opinions of the offerings.

i agree that regional centres have quite important cultural institutions but they are very much reliant on bringing both visitors and practitioners from urban centres. they're not quite as self-sustaining and depending what they offer it may be a labor of love.

Some people just like to complain too.

My ex-wife used to bitch daily about hating her job. Hating the people. Hating the politics.

Over 10 years later and she's still in the same place. Only difference is I don't have to hear about it.

I've taken jobs that paid less but were fun.

These days I'm looking for roles that pay in the top bracket because I want to retire far sooner than 65.

I too am aware of the Syd clause, so hoping my next job is one I can settle in for most of the distance, but I tend to change every 3-4 years. I'm about done at my current place. Bored. But the professional service model makes it challenging to move internally.

Lot at that, I'm complaining too! :tearsofjoy:

That sounds fun.. hah

How many people do we think think they hate their job just because they think they're supposed to or something?

There's a bit of a false binary in play too. You don't have to love or hate your job, you can fall in the middle. IMO only a tiny percentage of people genuinely love their job. I don't think it's unhealthy do not love your job. I do think it's unhealthy to be so invested in your job you have nothing else going on in life.

Me and my close work mates rant about stuff all the time but we all still turn up each day and maintain a decent work life balance.

Do it yourself then.

And then complain about it ;)

"It's so easy being a teacher"
- people who have never been teachers, every day

I reckon there are a plenty of jobs I could handle doing. With the requisite skills and experience I could be a sparky or a cabinet maker (not necessarily a good one). By the same token there are jobs I wouldn't go near. I've met a few people over the years that do risk management stuff for a living. It's a low overheads business and they charge $200-300 an hour so there is money in it, but * that sideways. Sitting in meetings for days at a time talking about safety systems. Nope nope nope.

That sounds fun.. hah

Realistically work is work, that’s why they pay us to do it, and if someone actually loves what they do I’m inclined to view them with a bit of suspicion

That said, you spend a long time doing it and it makes a hell of a lot of difference if you don’t dread getting up in the morning

I definitely need some mental stimulation in my job, when I’m bored I’m a really shitty employee

Sometimes it's just one or two things that make or break a job. It's unrealistic to expect that the work you do is going to be exactly what you want to do every single day.

A few years ago I worked with a group of people in our 20s and 30s. The vibe was great and there were heaps of after work drinks etc. so if you had a deadshit client or had to do boring data entry or whatever you didn't dread coming to work. People came and went and over the course of a year or two the dynamic changed and work was just work for most of us. On the flip side I used to work for a micromanaging ******* who was a complete road block to the career development of anyone under him. For the period I had to work with him I was completely disengaged but overall the company wasn't that bad.

I'm 36 but I feel like I'm 66 for posting this...

But what a bunch of juvenile idiots. Clearly, I'm in the "They don't understand work ethic" crowd - but here we are, seeing the side of a story from a young person with most likely bugger all life experience and we aren't hearing the side of the employer.

I feel like the younger generation coming up with things like 'participation awards' instead of winning in sports are just coming to expect that everything in life will come easily.

GOD DAMN IT MAKES ME ANGRY.

I reckon I'd understand more if the article was a Tik Tok of 30-50yo full timers that were leaving.

Particularly, the one who complains about a start time being tough because the bus schedule changed. For a split second, I see her point but I feel like when I was coming up through teenage jobs and the like, this sort of issue rested with me, not the employer. But now it's seen as the employer needs to be the one to adjust.. it's a real shift in the power and I'm personally not sure that's right

+1

It's the need for an audience that's the kicker.

What qualifies as a 'toxic' job? I remember when I was at school a guy I knew quit his part time dishpig job because "I don't like people telling me what to do". My thoughts at the time (15/16 years old) were that he was a massive flog.

There's nothing more intriguing than hearing someone bitch about a workplace to you that you're no part of.

Up there with people telling you stories of how they got cut off in traffic.

Another little gem here.

To quote some nuggets:

article said:
The email stated permanent team members with no personal or carer leave available “will need to take annual leave, long service leave or unpaid leave”.

For casual staff who “do not accrue personal/carer leave”, “we encourage team members to check what government support may be available”.

“I’m sick of being abused and used by corporations,” wrote Reddit user BoxerDuckling, who posted the image to the site’s popular “antiwork” forum on Saturday.

I'm not sure I quite follow this. Is this person suggesting it's not OK for a business to not pay leave that has not been accrued (generally because their pay rate should be higher) if they come down with COVID?

article said:
“Tomorrow I’m being forced back to work, five days a week,” user Ramen_Juice wrote, saying they were “lost for words” given skyrocketing Covid-19 case numbers.

“I enjoyed the balance of working from home – I get to save money and time on transport, I get to do chores and other household stuff while I’m waiting for email replies, better work setup, I get to prep meals before the girlfriend gets back, etc.”

One person replied: “Mate, stop asking and start telling. Don’t say, ‘Is it all right?’ They will always say no. You say, ‘Just letting you know that I will continue to work from home.’ The time of letting bosses dictate our lives is over.”

What a pearler!

Another little gem here.

To quote some nuggets:

I'm not sure I quite follow this. Is this person suggesting it's not OK for a business to not pay leave that has not been accrued (generally because their pay rate should be higher) if they come down with COVID?

What a pearler!
Its news.com.au stop rotting your brain

Remove this Banner Ad

Back