Society/Culture The KKK Victorian Police

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest issue of Victorian Police uniform:
kkk.jpg

(according to the Indian press) :p

Now I can understand the Dehli Mail rag wanting to sell papers and the Indian population being upset, but is this just a little silly? It's certainly been felt in Australia though!http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/01/08/2788273.htm

Probably. I remember the Mohammed cartoons which saw the cartoonist issued with a fatwa and more recently a home invasion.

I can see some humour in a way in this Indian cartoon but don't think it will do much to help the Indian cause. If anything it will just annoy those who have been victims of crime in India as expats or tourists with the police showing little interest there. Who knows, the robber / murderer could well be Pakistani / Indian / British or Vietnamese. We don't have a suspect yet remember!

Every media outlet loves playing the racist card, one of the best ways to sell their papers/boost the ratings. We just happen to be one of the easiest targets since we have a large amount of people from different backgrounds and we aren't as anally PC as most of the world, resulting in something that's a non issue or somewhat distasteful here getting hyped up somewhere else eg. the KFC ad for the cricket and the blackface skit becoming issues in the US.

Maybe if we threw some uranium at them the Indians would stop behaving like twits about this.

Indian media is OTT. Theyre so far removed from reality they have NFI.

They have no perspective from the figures I heard this week. Apparently there are over 30,000 murders in India annualy (Victoria Police statement) compared to less than 400 murders annualy in Australia.

So which country is safer to live in, again??

Good grief.

Very sad that this kid's death is being exploited by numbnuts in the media.

There;s an unhealthy tendency amongst certain asian societies with colonial history to see everything in terms of race- Cricket umpire duds you? Racism. Street crime? Racism. Concerned about terrorism? Definitely racism.

Gets very hard to take the indians seriously at times like this. Grow the **** up already, and get over your country's past.

The Indian media seems to be lacking perspective. I would be curious to know what the 'per capita' numbers are in terms of the Indian population in Melbourne and the number of attacks carried out against them. It's also something to note the number of Indians who would be working more dangerous jobs, like taxi driving and working late night shifts in petrol stations and the like. That has to have far more impact than race.

The cartoon is provocative and pretty stupid, but that is often the nature of cartoons, so I have a hard time getting up in arms about it. But the Indians also have to take into account other factors and not just assume that every time an Indian is bashed that race is the primary factor. I find that very unlikely given the multicultural nature of Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent point. However when their nation cries foul about the number of murders in Australia I'm sure they dont factor in our "per capita" either.

I bet they don't either.

Because if they did, one would expect the per capita istance of "random assaults" are far higher, than the specific population incurring such crime. Equivalent to late night worker, walking streets alone.

I have never felt threatened walking streets alone. I do not think these are overt cases of Klansmen looking for a coloured victim. But I think it is a confluence of many factors, some structural racism, some xenophobia, some opportunity crime seeing the weaker and other as easy prey. The confection is the assaults. So, the overriding motivation is not lynching in the south in the 60's, but there is definite underlying racism.

There is no way there should be a spike in the occurance of assaults on Indian students, even given their propensity to be night shift workers in taxis, convenience stores, and fast-food outlets. That suggests something far more pernicious than "random assaults". But far be it for the police nor poli's to own up.

Come on CamSmith, me's a'waitin'.

Sunshine and Footscray is a s**t hole. Walking through a park at night is rather stupid.

I dont think the cops questioning Indians is insensitive, more likely they are looking more closer to home.

Indians = Whingers

Seriously, I have never known an Indian who didn't think the whole world was against them.

Mmmmm cannot be sure of the motives for the original attacks just yet but seriously is anyone surprised by the cartoon or reaction.

The media in both countries are probably licking their lips, OTT response in an Indian paper allows for OTT counter responses here. It is a lack of awareness that allows people to buy into either.

That said students and the public in India are right to feel concerned, whether the actual stats show a proportionally high incidence of Indian students being attacked or the fact that motives may not be race related at all, how can people begrudge this concern.

As for the political grandstanding I would suggest Indian politicians are using it as a political weapon, whether in the hope that it will bring student numbers back to India or as a form of diplomatic pressure.

Lastly the Australian media are not innocent, indeed I would suggest they are actively fanning the flames. Exploiting the racism card gets people reading papers and leads to more exploitable fallout. Don't tune into the shock jocks or click links/buy tabloids like the HUN is all I could suggest.

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2010/s2788740.htm

The editor of Mail Today newspaper Bharat Bhushan says Australians have over reacted.

Mr Bhushan has defended the cartoonist R. Prasad who created the piece.

BHARAT BHUSHAN: I think the reaction is hysterical. A couple of days ago we had Australian political leaders saying that India was getting hysterical but when your children die in racist attacks hysteria can be understood. It's natural.

SALLY SARA: Hysteria has become the buzzword of the debate. Some Indian media outlets and commentators reacted angrily to reports earlier in the week that Acting Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Crean had labelled the Indian response to the student attacks as hysteria.

But Mr Crean never used that word. He was paraphrased by several Australian newspapers and by the time the story reached India it had somehow become a quote.

Amid all the heat and emotion the Indian media had reacted to a quote that had never been spoken.

Wow. They make our media look ****ing brilliant. No wonder there is so much hysteria over there when morons like this guy are editors.

Somehow I don't think nuking them is the answer.
No you misinterpreted what I said, [tinfoilhat]somehow I feel the Indians are still shitty at us for deciding to stop giving them uranium.[/tinfoilhat] Why would I say nuke them when we have a grand total of 0 nukes vs their 100 or so nukes?

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2010/s2788740.htm

Wow. They make our media look ****ing brilliant. No wonder there is so much hysteria over there when morons like this guy are editors.
"They" do not make our media look like anything.

Media outlets in both countries make citizens of either look like fools.

Paraphrased Creans statement like that? Gee I wonder why...

"They" do not make our media look like anything.

Media outlets in both countries make citizens of either look like fools.

Paraphrased Creans statement like that? Gee I wonder why...
This garbage has basically summarised the knee jerk, hysteric responses from most Indian media outlets, and makes something like the HUN look by comparison like it's full of hard hitting journalists, but by no means was I actually claiming our media is decent.

I'm in Kerala (South India) at the moment, and the media reaction here is just absolutely remarkable.

In the first place, when i'm walking on the streets with friends and family, I get locals asking me (after finding that i'm from Australia), why Indian students are being attacked. That was the first day.

The remarkable thing was watching the news last night (CNN-IBN). They had a debate going - and some of the things being said were just absolutely hysterical - the Australian police are the 'KKK' and that India should start boycotting all things Australian.

I think something that both sides need to recognize is that it's a small minority doing the OTT antics.

In Australia, it's a disgusting few who are responsible for these acts (whether they're racism or urban crime, I don't know). In India, there are people in the media who are certainly telling others that it's OTT to start suggesting that Australia is a racist nation - the fact is that this kind of story just sells beautifully.

If my memory serves me correctly, a record number of papers were sold in Sydney during the Cronulla riots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back