Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing ill say is you can have all the power forwards you like but if you have a non existent midfield it's a pointless operation.

One thing I definitely agree on ... weirdest recruiting at any club for a while ... who the fck did they think was going to actually get the ball to that squad of key forwards???

There are only a couple of jobs available any given year...you look at Melbourne and don't see an opportunity it would be a poor reflection on your character

Mark Neeld.
Neil(d) Craig.

If my calculations are correct the next coach will be named either Craig Mark or Mark Craig. My gut tells me the former.

One thing I definitely agree on ... weirdest recruiting at any club for a while ... who the fck did they think was going to actually get the ball to that squad of key forwards???

It just doesn't make sense does it, how come all of us can see it but yet the club cannot

Let me ask...is the Melbourne coaching gig any worse or more stressful or more difficult than what the Tigers were when Hardwick took it on? I can't be bothered going into the specifics on what a basket case we were and the pressure that came with the job.

The point is however that everyone is talking about how they need an experienced coach. What Melbourne need is the right coach. I do think there are some obvious experienced coach choices...Williams and Eade. However if it was me running the club, I would not be chasing them. The only coaches I would actively chase would be coaches like Roos and Clarkson (both unlikely or just plain unavailable). Anyone else needs to apply to show me they have the hunger and will to take on a long term assignment. Someone like Eade may have the right skills but he may not have the real hunger required for it. I'm not saying he doesn't have the hunger...just that he needs to show he has it rather than having a heap of cash thrown at him. Hence if Willams or Eade want the job, they need to apply.

It's too easy to get sucked into taking a role for the wrong reason...money. Whoever the new coach is should show they want the job more than anything else.

I posted this elsewhere. Sadly it is all fact

Melbourne's last 4 senior coaches

Neil Balme

1993 - 1997 - left after round 9 - interim coach Greg Hutchinson - never coached again - winning %41.84 % - Priority pick No 1 - Travis Johnstone (1997)

Neale Daniher

1998 - 2007 - left after round 13 - interim coach Mark Riley - never coached again - winning % 48.65% - Priority pick No 3 - Colin Sylvia (2003)

Dean Bailey

2008 - 2011 - left after round 17 - interim coach Todd Viney - never coached again - winning % 27.71% -Priority pick No 17 - Sam Blease (2008), Priority pick No 1 - Tom Scully (2009)

Mark Neeld

2012-2013 - left after round 12 - interim coach Neil Craig - winning %15.5%

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just doesn't make sense does it, how come all of us can see it but yet the club cannot
they are still in denial, they should be ensuring they leave no stone un turned and this includes having a talk to kennett. they need to get the best people possible on the board, as president, head coach, assistant coaches.................... orange boy. they need to cull all those that have gotten the club to where it is now or nothing will change.

How come whenever any coach is sacked, no matter how bad, has a large group of people feeling sorry for him and thinks he's hard done by?

Neeld took a poor to mediocre side and turned them into a complete disaster below anything we have seen in the AFL since Fitzroy and Sydney in the 90s. This has been at an admittedly dysfunctional club, but the same dysfunctional club had people talking them up as a potential super power in 2010/11.

If Neeld shouldn't get sacked you may as well say no coach should ever get sacked. Maybe it could be like the monarchy, have the job for life then your first born son takes over.

It maybe not all his fault, but a hell of a lot of it is.

Honestly think Gary Ayers could be the man. He may speak a bit... "how yer goin'" but he's a good football operator and tough as old boots.

Nope, the players won't like Ayres, not one bit. He'll demand that they play tough, the Melbourne players have been proven to shirk at such demands.

And after all, the players are the ones in charge here.

Is it fair to say that rather than sacking Bailey, Melbourne would have been better off showing Schwab and Connolly the door at the time which was being rumoured?

they are still in denial, they should be ensuring they leave no stone un turned and this includes having a talk to kennett. they need to get the best people possible on the board, as president, head coach, assistant coaches.................... orange boy. they need to cull all those that have gotten the club to where it is now or nothing will change.

100% but the board are too stubborn to even consider the kennett idea, for god sakes if my club was in the state melb are I would want them to clean every little bit of crap up and it starts at the top. They have a perfect model in port adelaide they were there this time last year. No excuses just get it done!

Honestly think Gary Ayers could be the man. He may speak a bit... "how yer goin'" but he's a good football operator and tough as old boots.

umm how? he was a horrible coach at AFL level and won a VFL premiership because Port Melbourne (wealthiest VFL club) had the funds to buy/keep all the best VFL players in 2011. (ie Valenti, Sam Dwyer, Galea, Malcolm Lynch, Wade Skipper, Patrick Rose, Pinwill).

100% but the board are too stubborn to even consider the kennett idea, for god sakes if my club was in the state melb are I would want them to clean every little bit of crap up and it starts at the top. They have a perfect model in port adelaide they were there this time last year. No excuses just get it done!

The same Jeff Kennett that wanted Clarkson sacked after Round 1?

I really don't think he is the answer - he's all bluff and bluster and the resulting circus he inevitably brings is more likely to do more harm than good.

Not sure how Melbourne fans view Peter Jackson, but he seems to being doing a pretty effective cull at the moment without making it all about him in the way Kennet would.

The same Jeff Kennett that wanted Clarkson sacked after Round 1?

I really don't think he is the answer - he's all bluff and bluster and the resulting circus he inevitably brings is more likely to do more harm than good.

Not sure how Melbourne fans view Peter Jackson, but he seems to being doing a pretty effective cull at the moment without making it all about him in the way Kennet would.

I guess I'm just using kennett as an example because as far as I know he's the only one saying he will do the job, it could be whoever, I really don't care and neither should the Melbourne people and it board, as long as they get the foundation club of the league off its knees on and off field it could be joe blow or Mickey Mouse in charge for all I care lol.

But seriously, Melbourne pride themselves on being first and forever, they need to act now to ensure that forever part is correct

Reported on SEN

Brent Moloney just posted a picture of 'Karma is a bitch' on his instragram.

Just a subtle dig ha

Says a fair bit (and not in a good way) about Moloney tbh

Whatever Neelds faults as a coach were I don't think anyone could accuse him of not trying or caring - I don't think the same could be said of some of the players (ex or current)

Pic from nine news

zhns.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back