Mega Thread The Mark Neeld Mega-Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights is not tarnished but has been smeared by a sycophantic media cheer squad, the Board led spin merchants and the smitten Fans of the Golden Child. Started while Knights was still in the chair and continued ever since as the myth of Hird the Saviour is carefully bulit. When the history of this era is written Knights reputation will be burnised and that of others will be in shards.
Now that the decks have been cleared at MFC, we can turn our sights back on the real scandal in the AFL.

I'd like to keep Knights as our VFL coach. Doing a pretty good job.

Oh if only that was the case you see there are these wonderful things called finals and if you play good enough over the season you get to play in them melbourne far exceeded the 3 times you have made it in 30 years but good troll none the less

Have Essendon been in one in the last 30 years that was not a result of some form of major cheating/manipulation?

Yeah, I know. I've been busy the last 28 years.

It was a big weekend - Can't wait for the sequel. No, dont tell me dont tell me!!!

Wait for hoverboards to hit the market first, otherwise you're in for an agonizing wait with the rest of us.

XRXXUZo.jpg

He has some good ideas, hence why he was a very good assistant coach. Unfortunately his man management skills are deplorable, hence why he isn't a good head coach

That club has been held ransom to the wants and needs of selfish and lazy footballers for too long.

The Demons should just die. Change St Kilda to the "Melbourne Saints" with a very dark blue replacing the black on the current St Kilda jumper. Melbourne fans can either support the new team, bandwagon another team or stay neutral. St Kilda fans can cope with this by the AFL providing a "Cost of shitness allowance" COSA for 10 years only to hopefully allow saints fans to witness more devastating Grand Final defeats. Tasmania can forge their own identity when they enter the competition.

I'm guessing you posted this for laughs, but oh no...no likes. :(

Oh i heard the have lights at the ground in geelong now congrats

Yes we waited a while but it is nice to finally be able to play home games at night at our home ground in our home town unlike some clubs who cannot even train in their home suburb anymore :oops:.

A Tasmanian founded Melbourne itself. Perhaps it's time for Tasmania to get something back? A tired club with a loser mentality will be rejuvenated down there for sure. The famous North Hobart Demons FC is currently getting its marching orders from the TSL, so I'm sure a Tas Demons team would be more than welcome.

Regarding Neeld's payout, my understanding is that he only gets it if he doesn't go to another team during the length of the contract (this is how it works in the States anyway). Assuming it's the same here, does anyone know if it only counts if he's a head coach (not likely), or does he lose it even if he becomes an assisstant?

I'm guessing but maybe the payout reduces based on whatever income he gets as an assistant coach - Melbourne pay the difference between his salary at Melbourne and whatever he earns in any new role elsewhere

He was doomed the moment they gave him 'carte blanche' to shake up the joint. I would have thought the first job of a senior coach is to win the trust and respect of the playing group. Instead, he probably felt compelled to go the heavy handed approach.

I'm guessing but maybe the payout reduces based on whatever income he gets as an assistant coach - Melbourne pay the difference between his salary at Melbourne and whatever he earns in any new role elsewhere
If he accepted that scenario after being summarily sacked he should get a new financial adviser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also feel for ST Kilda who will now undoubtedly become a victim of the "sacked coach" syndrome. No doubt they had put this weeks points in the bank.

Bit of a myth, but an uncomfortable feeling nonetheless.

Year|Round|Club|Coach|Opp|R|Mgn
\2012|20|PA|Hocking, Garry|Ha|L|72
\2011|22|WB|Williams, Paul|PA|W|60
\2011|20|Me|Viney, Todd|Ca|L|76
\2011|19|Ad|Bickley, Mark|PA|W|32
\2010|16|PA|Primus, Matthew|WB|L|36
\2009|13|NM|Crocker, Darren|WB|L|22
\2009|12|Ri|Rawlings, Jade|WC|W|15
\2007|17|Ca|Ratten, Brett|St|L|10
\2007|16|Fr|Harvey, Mark|Ad|W|25
\2007|14|Me|Riley, Mark|Ca|W|23
\2004|18|Ha|McDonald, Donald|Me|L|44
\2004|14|Ad|Craig, Neil|Me|W|72
\2002|22|WB|Rohde, Peter|Co|W|41
\2002|13|Sy|Roos, Paul|Fr|W|77
\2001|16|St|Thomas, Grant|WB|L|34
\2001|10|Fr|Allan, Ben|Ri|L|38
\1998|12|Br|Merrett, Roger|PA|D|0
\1997|18|Ri|Gieschen, Jeff|WB|W|15
\1997|10|Me|Hutchison, Greg|Ri|W|25
\1996|15|Fi|McConnell, Alan|WC|L|68
\1996|13|WB|Wallace, Terry|WC|L|12
\1995|20|Fi|McConnell, Alan|Ge|L|41
\1994|3|WB|Joyce, Alan|Co|L|1
\1993|5|Sy|Scott, Brett|Fi|L|93

Whoever they get as coach must have previous experience and a nothing to lose approach to it. Neeld will be tarnished by his tenure at Melbourne, he might get an assistants role, but it will be harder for him now.

The Demons need a bloke like Mark Williams who has done it all before as a long term senior coach and assistant, he won't give a stuff if he fails, but he will give it his all trying!

I am not convinced Paul Roos will have his heart in it and he will come at a huge price for giving perhaps just 90%?

Williams
Knights
Ratten
Harvey
Worsfold
Ayres

These blokes should all be considered whether you like them or not, they all have credentials and are worth another go. Could they go for Sheedy on a limited 3 year term? Melbourne need development badly.
I know he turns 66 at the end of the year, but give him the resources and development team to work with and he might just get something out of this list?

A Tasmanian founded Melbourne itself. Perhaps it's time for Tasmania to get something back? A tired club with a loser mentality will be rejuvenated down there for sure. The famous North Hobart Demons FC is currently getting its marching orders from the TSL, so I'm sure a Tas Demons team would be more than welcome.

That would be the Tas Van Diemens

Sacking Bailey was a huge mistake, his record wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either, he still recorded 16 wins and 2 draws in 2 seasons (8 wins and 1 draw in 2010 and 2011). He was still able to record thumping wins against travelling wins at the G i.e. Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Freo and now they get thumped by them. They simply overreacted after the Geelong match and should've stuck with him for 2012 to see how they would've fared. Neeld is a solid assistant coach but he is no good as a head coach. Clean out the rot, Jackson was a good appointment, get Kennett in and someone like Paul Roos as coach. Not only is he a terrific coach, it gets him out of the commentary box which is a win for everyone.

Absolutely. I don't think this is talked about enough. Bailey was getting some results and it wasn't the time to panic.

They really must make a strong selection now. Wilson is pushing hard for her friend Williams but I think that would be a bad option. He's too up and down for the pressures that will be put on that position

They need some safe hands now, even if it is just for 1 or 2 years to stabilise. Someone who has seen it all before like Matthews or Walls

Roos or Clarkson would be inspired signings.

Oh, and they need to divert all Gary Lyon's calls to message bank.

That club has been held ransom to the wants and needs of selfish and lazy footballers for too long.
Maybe, but the players he brought in like Brynes, Pederson & Rodan haven't exactly helped his cause either

The problem is not the coach.

Melbourne's problem is the players. This has been brought on by terrible list management, poor drafting, impatience with youth, inability to develop youth, inability to retain players, moving on the wrong players, failing to retain senior expierenced players to act as leaders at training, on the field and to take pressure off younger players, hindering the development of their youth.

Neeld never had a chance to have any influence on their list, had an atrocious list to work with that had injuries to best 22 players on top of this.

After Melbourne's sack the coach culture, the way the media and the way their fans have behaved towards the coach, I struggle to see any coach with half a brain putting their hands up to coach Melbourne, knowing that there is no way of achieving immediate success with that list and because of that, know what will come their way because of this. Guaranteed to be the scapegoat and likely sacked.

Will be interesting to see who Melbourne get. I would thing they need to offer plenty of money and a 3+ Year contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back