The next team to challenge Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints and Doggies are still right in the hunt. I think the Doggies are really sneaking under the radar right now. But Collingwood is definitely a chance this year.

Ssshhh.

We haven't been great thus far, but are sitting just one game behind the pace-setters. We will need to pick up our game in the last 1/3 of the season (which will co-incide with getting our best team on the park), but it would be pretty silly to discount any of the top 5 or 6 teams at present as each team is just one or two injuries away from having the arse fall out of their quest for the premiership.

WTF, you lost to Eagles 2 weeks ago. We beat them. You haven't beaten Geelong since 2008 and we beat them last year. But still you have a better chance of winning. I don't see the logic.
For the last 25 years Hawthorn have given Geelong fits. Even recently when Geelong's won most of them they have been given a horribly hard, tough, miserable time by the Hawks in very close games in the process. It would be the side Geelong likes to face least.

Some very embarrassing posts from some of my fellow Geelong supporters in this thread.

The Cats v Freo game was great, watching Pav and Gaz getting clearances and kicking goals from 60 was orgasmic. I thought Geelong played well, but Freo finished off the game better. To the cat supporters throwing out the "oh but we were missing player X and playing Y"...who cares? Why feel the need to make excuses? Quite clearly this Geelong team is one of the best that has existed so there is really no need to make excuses after one loss. It was a great game to watch and I turned off the TV happy to have watched a fantastic, contested yet skillful game of footy between two attractive and competitive sides.

I can't see any team other than the Hawks, should they get up and running, or the Saints knocking off Geelong for the flag.

Still think Collingwood are the only team that has the ability to beat them his year come finals. St. Kilda can do it but not this year due to Riewoldt's injury.

Still think Collingwood are the only team that has the ability to beat them his year come finals. St. Kilda can do it but not this year due to Riewoldt's injury.

Newsflash...he will be back well before finals

Newsflash...he will be back well before finals

Well aware of that. He's not going to be nearly as damaging though because he simply won't be that fit after missing so much training and game time. And his fitness is his primary strength.

Anyway by seasons end The Knife will be kicking 10 a week

Biggest threat: Bulldogs

Possible threat (if everything works for them): Carlton, Freo, St Kilda (with Reiwoldt)

Dark horse: Melbourne (although they are tanking this week resting their 2 best youngsters)

I don't care if the Hawks are near the bottom and we are at the top. Every time we play them I get the chills. They match up on us very well but it's almost like they have some kind of psychological hold on us. The last two games against them they were leading most the game and probably should have won!

The last team I would want Geelong to meet in the finals is Hawthorn!

I don't care if the Hawks are near the bottom and we are at the top. Every time we play them I get the chills. They match up on us very well but it's almost like they have some kind psychological hold on us. The last two games against them they were leading most the game and probably should have won!

The last team I would want Geelong to meet in the finals in Hawthorn!
Bingo.....we have a winner....well played sir...:thumbsu:

I don't care if the Hawks are near the bottom and we are at the top. Every time we play them I get the chills. They match up on us very well but it's almost like they have some kind psychological hold on us. The last two games against them they were leading most the game and probably should have won!

The last team I would want Geelong to meet in the finals in Hawthorn![/quote]

Well....weak as mate!:thumbsdown:

The one team I want to play in the GF is Hawthorn.

Much rather play them than the Bullies or St Kilda ( with a fit and firing Riewoldt ).

But it wont happen because the Hawks wont be there. Good for Hawk supporters tho because they can keep harking back to 2008 to remind people what a great side they are.....anything more recent sort of spoils the story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was only until after the 2007 Grand Final was finished that Geelong had overcome its 'losing' culture. Currently Freo reminds me of Geelong, a team with a history of poor culture that could be on their way to making amends. If they were named West Coast then people would believe they were a genuine threat. I still believe they are the real deal.

Bulldogs, St Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn are teams capable of beating us on their day. I still have doubts when it comes to Carlton, I think they have been lucky to catch us on two really bad days.

Currently we might be on top but there is still a long way to go this season. All in all I still say Bulldogs are our biggest threat. They should have won against us twice last year and they are more then capable of destroying our midfield when it matters.

No . Only Hawthorn , Cats are scared of us . Theres no argument its a fact. We frighten them.

This Hawthorn talk is rubbish.
- Hawthorn have won 3 games.
- One of them was by 2 or 3 points against Richmond.
- The weekend was Hawthorns first good performance since round 1.
- Hawthorn are 13th on the ladder.
- Its not 2008

The last team I would want Geelong to meet in the finals in Hawthorn![/quote]

Well....weak as mate!:thumbsdown:

The one team I want to play in the GF is Hawthorn.

Much rather play them than the Bullies or St Kilda ( with a fit and firing Riewoldt ).

But it wont happen because the Hawks wont be there. Good for Hawk supporters tho because they can keep harking back to 2008 to remind people what a great side they are.....anything more recent sort of spoils the story.

You want us play Hawthorn in the GF? Are you crazy?

Firstly, for Hawthorn to make the grand final history tells us they will have to finish in the top 4. To finish in the top 4 from their current position (Which looks highly highly unlikely) they will have to be in blistering form, pretty much beating everything in their path until the end of the season.

If this happened to eventuate that would mean they were a pretty fair team would you say? So why the hell would you want Geelong to meet their bogey side in this kind of form in a GF?

I don't buy into this whole revenge thing of how sweet it would be to beat Hawthorn in a GF after they robbed us in '08. At the end of the day a premiership is a premiership no matter who you beat and I'd be much happier seeing Geelong play the Bulldogs, Magpies, or even Saints than a top 4 Hawthorn side!

Bit early to declare The Cats in round 9......
Plenty can go wrong...... Its their 4th year on top whos to say they don't
start getting the wobbles come round 18......

When it happens it happens quickly.....Just ask Bombers fans regards 2001 when they looked unbeatable for 3/4 of the year.

Im not interested in beating Cats in H/A.

Id be happy to play them in the 2010 GF WITH fit Riewoldt.

Wont be so dominant and kick that woeful 2 GF's in a row.........as Geelong proved...

Take away your best forward, ruck and backman and come play us at Skilled. If you only lost by 7 you'd have to be congratulated.

We saw Fremantles best that night, and it was just enough to get over the line.

Pavlich, Sandilands & Tarrant (who wasnt playing anyway) are 3 massive reason the Dockers are were they are and without them if we got within 70 points we should be congratulated.

Also it seems you rate Mooney as much as Pav, Ottens as much as Sandi & Scarlett as much as Tarrant. Im sorry but in 2010 not one of these players are better than their Dockers counterparts. Its like if Geelong take out Abblet, Chapman and Bartell, as you named our best three & your three best players are your three best no matter what positions they play in.

Freo will be a threat should that day come that they need to challange Geelong.

Collingwood is a joke.

If they can't kick more than 4 goals against us it still makes us the contender especially with St Nick back for finals.

What's a joke is St kildas game plan and the fact that they are nothing without 1 person. If we had of kicked straight, we would have beaten you and by quite a big margin.

I still think we were and are definate contenders to beat geelong, perhaps not for the flag but during the home and away season sure. Both teams had outstanding defence friday night but i just feel we were shaky in going forward and didn't really back ourselves.

As much of a die hard of a fan as i am, i still can't see collingwood getting to the big one this year. In regards to anyone else challenging them, at this point in time i can't see anyone doing it.

You want us play Hawthorn in the GF? Are you crazy?

Firstly, for Hawthorn to make the grand final history tells us they will have to finish in the top 4. To finish in the top 4 from their current position (Which looks highly highly unlikely) they will have to be in blistering form, pretty much beating everything in their path until the end of the season.

If this happened to eventuate that would mean they were a pretty fair team would you say? So why the hell would you want Geelong to meet their bogey side in this kind of form in a GF?

I don't buy into this whole revenge thing of how sweet it would be to beat Hawthorn in a GF after they robbed us in '08. At the end of the day a premiership is a premiership no matter who you beat and I'd be much happier seeing Geelong play the Bulldogs, Magpies, or even Saints than a top 4 Hawthorn side!

The reason I WANT to play Hawthorn is so when we beat them, it will wake up a few Hawk flogs that contnually rely on 2008 while ignoring the short-comings that have appeared in their structure. It will do em a power of good! But I only want to play them.... if the Hawks are good enough.

Mate...what you wrote adds up to one thing...you want to wimp it in. If Hawthorn manage what you have outlined ( which they won't...they are not that good!) they will deserve the bloody Premiership...IF they can do it on the big day..

I want Geelong to win the GF against the best team they can meet ( just like 2009)...you on the other hand dont want to win it against decent opposition....gee..if Hawthorn make it they might be good enough to beat us...s**t we don't want that!

Weak as....

BTW....I dont buy into revenge either. there is no revenge for losing a GF...its perrenial. Beating Hawthorn in a GF wont change previous results.

I also dont buy into this bogey club bu**sh*t thats got you reaching for the nappy pack....on the day the best of the two teams that make the GF deserve the premiership. Thats how it is....

Bring on the best side I say...and lets get it on. If the Cats get done, then so be it. And if we win...the rest can suck it up.

I want to play the Hawks because unlike you, I believe in this Cats team, and am not afraid of any other side...respect yes...afraid...no.

Your cringing at the possibility of playing a particular team is embarrasing.

Also it seems you rate Mooney as much as Pav, Ottens as much as Sandi & Scarlett as much as Tarrant. Im sorry but in 2010 not one of these players are better than their Dockers counterparts

did you just say chris tarrant is better than matthew scarlett?:eek:

not even in the same league

the difference between scarlett and tarrant is greater than the difference between ottens/sandilands and mooney/pavlich, kid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back