• Thilthorpe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Brown

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I 100% agree with that and we should not be keeping players in the side when they are not performing. But they still should be aiming to finish top 8, which is the comment I was replying to. No coach in the league would be deliberately leaving players out to try and miss finals and get a better draft pick.
Fair enough..we are probably coming from the same angle

CTID never said we arent playing enough younger players - he said he wants to see more rewarded

Is Crouch a part of our future? I say no - so why continue to play him? And I dont need to hear ' to develop his value' - his value is well known - it wont change by us playing him

Is Milera in enough good form where we cant reward someone else?
Agree on all those especially Crouch

'Match fitness for thee but not for me' - AFC senior players.

Senior players - 8,9,10 preseasons. Battle hardened bodies Generally uninterrupted this year
Worrell - missed 8-9 weeks with soft tissue injury, 3 preseasons. History of injury in first 12 months on list.

Couldn’t be any more different

Feel for Borlase though. If not now - when

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Because you want to rebuild fully, not finish it 3/4 of the way through.

How do you do that though? Supporters won’t wait as we see on this board. Already with the second youngest and second least experienced list we have people on here calling for most of the coaches and executives of the clubs heads. Even though with a bit of better execution - and I would argue if round 1 wasn’t freakishly humid - we would be 6-2, 7-1.

So if we are not winning now then list management, most of the coaches should lose their jobs for incompetence

If we win then we are just trying to scrap into the 8, finish rebuild early and will put a ceiling on how high we can go

Are they the options? Because to get another high draft we will need to lose majority of games for the rest of the year?

How does Nicks “win” with his current squad

On to Worrell and only fitness holding him back.

We know Murray will be straight back in.

Forget who you would drop for Worrell, think who Nicks will actually drop and you’ll realise Worrell could be out for awhile. Unless Sholl is replaced by Hinge.
We have enough flexible players to bring Worell in when match fit.

We have to get games into him asap.

No.
His continued selection is a mystery to me.
There must be something that the Coaches/Selectors see that keeps him in the side. Maybe they're hoping he will "come good", and justify both his contract and unearned retention.
(I'd love it if he played out of his skin on Sunday in a breakout game and kept going from there, but on current form I can't see it)

No, but the "part of our future" measuring stick applies also to Tex, Laird, Smith and Sloane.
It's more about impact and value to the team that affects his (and their) selection.
Crouch's impact/value was there for all to see last week.
He's a possession-getter, but does next to nothing with them.

Why continue to play him? F'ed if I k.

One thing he did do last week - which hadn’t happened the previous 2 subs, was he got the ball. Against Collingwood we couldn’t get our hands on it around the middle of the ground.
So Crouch wasn’t there for metres gained or high impact possessions - he was picked to get the ball and give it to others to do that. The coaches obviously have more faith in him getting the ball than Hateley at this level - which is fair because one thing he does well is get possessions

However once again it didn’t work.

How do you do that though? Supporters won’t wait as we see on this board. Already with the second youngest and second least experienced list we have people on here calling for most of the coaches and executives of the clubs heads. Even though with a bit of better execution - and I would argue if round 1 wasn’t freakishly humid - we would be 6-2, 7-1.

So if we are not winning now then list management, most of the coaches should lose their jobs for incompetence

If we win then we are just trying to scrap into the 8, finish rebuild early and will put a ceiling on how high we can go

Are they the options? Because to get another high draft we will need to lose majority of games for the rest of the year?

How does Nicks “win” with his current squad

I think last week goes to show nicks mindset, it was the perfect week to rest Tex and or sloane, he even brought it up during the week but said it was tempting to have a crack at one of the top teams on their home deck.
They’ve spent all this time and effort to rebuild yet as soon as they see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel it seems like the plans go out the window.

I think last week goes to show nicks mindset, it was the perfect week to rest Tex and or sloane, he even brought it up during the week but said it was tempting to have a crack at one of the top teams on their home deck.
They’ve spent all this time and effort to rebuild yet as soon as they see a bit of light at the end of the tunnel it seems like the plans go out the window.

Fair point but it doesn’t answer the question - we all agree we should be probably 6-2 bar poor goal kicking. Does that mean we are now good enough to challenge and therefore need to do what we can to win; or do we rest players/trial some of the SANFL boys to try and lose to get a much better draft pick?

False dichotomy.

You can win while still resting players. Tex should have rested against Geelong, we'd have been better.

Someone else mentioned about Nicks not trusting the squad, vs other coaches who trust 30 players throughout the year. It rings true.

You use Crouch as a sub because it's better to let our younger players develop with a full game in the SANFL.
Or you use a sub that helps you win a game of afl. Besides, we aren’t keeping the same younger player as sub every week, they get plenty of development time.

But good to see you come out with an opinion, however you should have just kept it to “I agree with what Nicks said”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

False dichotomy.

You can win while still resting players. Tex should have rested against Geelong, we'd have been better.

Someone else mentioned about Nicks not trusting the squad, vs other coaches who trust 30 players throughout the year. It rings true.
Nicks is coaching with one hand behind his back by not utilising and trusting the full squad.

Obviously it would be very rare to be dropped after one bad game, with good form prior. Players that I think could potentially be dropped if they don't perform vs Stkilda would be:

Milera
Sholl
Butts
Rachelle
Smith
Keays
Thilthorpe

I would not drop Rachelle or Thilthorpe personally.

Just about everyone else could be carried again unless they played absolutely shockingly.

Could also rest Walker or Fogarty.

S
Obviously it would be very rare to be dropped after one bad game, with good form prior. Players that I think could potentially be dropped if they don't perform vs Stkilda would be:

Milera
Sholl
Butts
Rachelle
Smith
Keays
Thilthorpe

I would not drop Rachelle or Thilthorpe personally.

Just about everyone else could be carried again unless they played absolutely shockingly.

Could also rest Walker or Fogarty.
Sholl stands out as a player that isn't good enough defensively. That goal where he allowed the player to waltz through him in the goal square reminded me of that effort last year where he jumped out of the way of the opposition player in the back half. Coincidentally Nick's didn't play him again after that until this year. He isn't physically strong enough in the upper body to tackle strongly. Just play Hinge on the wing and show some trust in Worrell who is a good player.

Fair point but it doesn’t answer the question - we all agree we should be probably 6-2 bar poor goal kicking. Does that mean we are now good enough to challenge and therefore need to do what we can to win; or do we rest players/trial some of the SANFL boys to try and lose to get a much better draft pick?

I certainly think selection could be different, we still seem to want to rely on Tex and he will not be around in 2 years.

Senior players - 8,9,10 preseasons. Battle hardened bodies Generally uninterrupted this year
Worrell - missed 8-9 weeks with soft tissue injury, 3 preseasons. History of injury in first 12 months on list.

Couldn’t be any more different

Feel for Borlase though. If not now - when

Underdone is underdone and battle hardened is another way of saying worn out.

North melb are a rabble. They need to go to a lottery system for pick 1.

Underdone is underdone and battle hardened is another way of saying worn out.

Battle hardened as in a larger residual tank due to years of pre seasons. Compared to a relatively new player that missed a couple of months.
It’s not hard to understand why they would be treated differently

You use Crouch as a sub because it's better to let our younger players develop with a full game in the SANFL.
All for having the sub as an established player with little upside. It’s a s**t role for a developing player.

That said Crouch is a horrible option. The sub needs to be able to come on and make an impact.

Back