Rumour The North Ultimatum

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah .. they are wanted by their nailed on fans .... but no one wants them relocated in place of getting their own team. Tassie wants their own tems, any 20th team in wa, sa, nsw or elsewhere would want a clean start as well
I think Canberra would be open to a relocation but only because they've been used to being ignored for so long and probably don't expect a seat at the table at this point. They might see relocation as their best shot, especially if WA3 gets team 20, but North don't want to budge, even if Canberra opened them with welcome arms. If ever a relocation was going to work, it'd be the Canberra Kangaroos, but that's probably about it. As you said, everyone will want their own team, especially WA, SA, and NT. Tassie definitely deserved their own.

I think Canberra would be open to a relocation but only because they've been used to being ignored for so long and probably don't expect a seat at the table at this point. They might see relocation as their best shot, especially if WA3 gets team 20, but North don't want to budge, even if Canberra opened them with welcome arms. If ever a relocation was going to work, it'd be the Canberra Kangaroos, but that's probably about it. As you said, everyone will want their own team, especially WA, SA, and NT. Tassie definitely deserved their own.
I'm not even sure about Canberra ... lots of Canberra based gws fans wouldn't want them

That's true. From here on end I think there'll be no more relocations or mergers, which means we're probably going to have to go to some conference system eventually because I doubt expansion will end at 20 teams.

20-22 teams will be perfect as a comp mainly because it allows eveyone to play each other once and strips out all the bullshit of the unequal fixturing.

20-22 teams will be perfect as a comp mainly because it allows eveyone to play each other once and strips out all the bullshit of the unequal fixturing.
There's no way they're going to ever play less than 23 games per season ever again. 23 games with 20-22 teams means more games means more broadcaster revenue.

And if one of those teams is a third in WA, it defeats one of the main reasons for bringing them in during the first place, which is to reduce the travel burden of the WA clubs.

If the WA teams can't play each other twice then the travel burden isn't reduced.

Also, if we go down to 19-21 games per year, that means the Tassie side is only what, gonna play 5-6 games per year in Hobart? A billion dollar stadium just for that? I don't think so.

22 teams playing each other once + two rivals = 23 games per year would certainly make things closer to a fairer draw.

But it's honestly silly for the AFL to just shut the door on expansion permanently because we can't have more than X number of teams. Why? Says who? Because St Kilda will never win another premiership? Well, they should've won another one when they had the chance for 100 years when there were only 12 teams, but they didn't.

I'd definitely be looking at 22 teams at least as WA3 and ACT I think need to happen. Beyond that it's hard to say so soon but we don't know what the AFL landscape might look like in the future. It could grow more than we think in NSW, QLD, and maybe even NZ. If that happens, no way is 22 gonna be the max.

Love it …. But to be fair it’s about 6000 atm
It was too good an opportunity to pass up.

On a serious note - would Canberra have the corporate support?
A lot of revenue is generated from selling premium seats, functions, Corporate suites and coterie groups. I'm sure the government would not be able to justify it.

How do the Raiders do? Is it a big part of Ruby League? They play out of some pretty shitty stadiums, so it doesn't seem that they have that corporate game day thing that the AFL clubs have.

It was too good an opportunity to pass up.

On a serious note - would Canberra have the corporate support?
A lot of revenue is generated from selling premium seats, functions, Corporate suites and coterie groups. I'm sure the government would not be able to justify it.

How do the Raiders do? Is it a big part of Ruby League? They play out of some pretty shitty stadiums, so it doesn't seem that they have that corporate game day thing that the AFL clubs have.
Mate I can’t give you those details n Canberra …. I don’t live in oz and don’t know Canberra at all well

Says the GWS fan....

Can't even get anyone in Sydney to care about your side even when you're winning games.

More interest in croquet than AFL in the western suburbs of Sydney.
Unless they’re using the mallet to crack skulls, I can guarantee you this is not true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once they knocked back a bazillion dollars and great draft choices to go to gold coast, it was curtains for them.
And now the AFL has engineered a triple premiership coach to GC its definitely door closed turn off the lights.

Sorry North fans.

North absolutely flying off field and about to be on field.

Flags imminent with this list. 60k members by 2030. Best inner city facilities in the league. Year after year bringing in quality recruits.

Powerhouse.

Flags imminent with this list. 60k members by 2030. Best inner city facilities in the league. Year after year bringing in quality recruits.

Powerhouse.

I love the enthusiasm, or whatever you're on, if it's the latter, I'd be faking an injury on game day.

Once they knocked back a bazillion dollars and great draft choices to go to gold coast, it was curtains for them.
And now the AFL has engineered a triple premiership coach to GC its definitely door closed turn off the lights.

Sorry North fans.
Gold Coast being successful doesn't mean anything for north....

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Powerhouse.
Right in everything except membership base.

The 96 season saw 14,500 members - with Carey. Adelaide had 26k.

Regrettably they are a minnow club and will remain that way financially.

As for the best ‘home base’…every viable venue has been filched by the Dogs, Hawks and the new Tassie drive.

Unless they can convince the AFL to use Arden street…they’ll remain homeless.

The drive to remain a viable Melbourne club has cost them many opportunities to grow.

Last edited:
North Sydney would be a good market for them if North Sydney oval gets redeveloped. 8 games in Sydney, 2 in Newcastle, 1 in Gosford. A massive population in Sydney plus tapping into the big Hunter and Central Coast regions. A huge risk but huge reward if it worked. North Sydney Kangaroos means they get to keep their North name and they can keep their colours and song, too, just with a slight lyrics change. I reckon a lot of the Roos supporters in Melbourne would keep watching them on the tele and live when they travel to Melbourne to play. But the Roos are the ones who'd have to be convinced of such a move.

North Sydney would be a good market for them if North Sydney oval gets redeveloped. 8 games in Sydney, 2 in Newcastle, 1 in Gosford. A massive population in Sydney plus tapping into the big Hunter and Central Coast regions. A huge risk but huge reward if it worked. North Sydney Kangaroos means they get to keep their North name and they can keep their colours and song, too, just with a slight lyrics change. I reckon a lot of the Roos supporters in Melbourne would keep watching them on the tele and live when they travel to Melbourne to play. But the Roos are the ones who'd have to be convinced of such a move.
Pass. North Sydney Oval is used for Shute Shield rugby and grade cricket.

The government isn’t going to reinvest in a stadium there while Penrith and Wests need their new 20k seat NRL stadiums.

Canberra will never work for a club, it hurts GWS too much & unless something happens around the Sydney show, then GWS still needs a home for the weeks around it. If you relocate or create a team in Canberra, then you really can’t saturate the market by sending GWS there for that time period. GWS is playing in Canberra as they lose their home ground for a significant period of time. So you’d have to find another home in Sydney (SCG games?) to replace the Canberra games if someone relocated to Canberra

Remove this Banner Ad

Back