Rumour The North Ultimatum

Reckon if the Roos were playing Freo yesterday in Manuka it'd be packed out. Upgrade Manuka to 20k and the Roos would get better crowds in Canberra than they would in Melbourne. Or about the same but at least Manuka wouldn't be a loss maker like Marvel is.

And their supporters who go on about the TV rights would still watch them play from their Melbourne homes so it wouldn't kill the clubs future.
Would Canberra accept the Roos, they were paid a fortune to play in Canberra for 3 years, then ran off chasing Gold Coast money and when that fell through - they tried to go back to Canberra and were told to f off as untrustworthy

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would Canberra accept the Roos, they were paid a fortune to play in Canberra for 3 years, then ran off chasing Gold Coast money and when that fell through - they tried to go back to Canberra and were told to f off as untrustworthy

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pretty much, although the wiki says that the AFL talked them into chasing Gold Coast money. Had they have been left to their own devices, they may have moved to Canberra. I do think it's too late, though, as much as I think it'd be good for the balance of the league.

"North Melbourne's matches against the Swans in Canberra in 2004 and 2006 became the territory's record crowds for the sport peaking at 14,922 in 2006. However in 2006 the Kangaroos, encouraged by the AFL, received a more lucrative offer to move its interstate home games to the Gold Coast. The ACT Government set a deadline for the club to choose between Canberra and the Gold Coast, to which North Melbourne executive Geoff Walsh announced that it would be turning its back on the ACT and signed a three-year deal to play ten home games at Carrara Stadium between 2007 and 2009 at AUD$400,000 per game. After the AFL's AUD$100 million push to relocate the club to the Gold Coast failed, North Melbourne in 2009 attempted to re-negotiate with the ACT government, however the club was told that it had suffered irrepairable reputation damage in Canberra."

WA3 will probably be the 20th team, with ACT remaining as a secondary market for the Giants.

20 teams with 23 rounds gives 3 byes to each team over the season and each team playing each other both home and away…that’s probably a perfect setup.
Don't know why people keep saying this. Each team playing 23 games per season is going nowhere, especially if there's a third team in WA. They'll want 2x western derbies and broadcasters will want those 30 extra games more than what you're proposing. Also, how many games in Hobart would Tassie play? 5? 6? A billion dollar stadium just for that? Terrible idea.

Just wind them up, very few people would actually care would be news for a few weeks and then we would all move on.. Wayne Carey gave them relevance in the 90s and probably saved them 30 years of life, but they are completely irrelevant now and have been for a long time, haven’t had a player worth watching since Boomer Harvey, enough is enough..

Just wind them up, very few people would actually care would be news for a few weeks and then we would all move on.. Wayne Carey gave them relevance in the 90s and probably saved them 30 years of life, but they are completely irrelevant now and have been for a long time, haven’t had a player worth watching since Boomer Harvey, enough is enough..
Make them an offer: relocate to ACT or fold. With access to Riverina talent and a unique home ground advantage at an upgraded Manuka, and actual crowds that will turn up to games, they could actually become relevant again.

If they move, then WA3 as team 20.

If we had relegation and we dropped on merit sure. But its a mickey mouse provincial sport where even your club got away with being rubbish for a very long time. Your flag drought is longer than ours as well.

These ARE the good times and not the dark times for North. They survived Covid. The Brayshaw mandate of named a club North Melbourne, based at Arden Street is still true. The win/loss is almost irrelevant because they're still part of the big show on their terms. They are dying on their feet rather than living on their knees and their fanbase is as insufferable and self-righteous as ever. The only thing that is different between the early 2000s and now is they don't win much on the weekend. The AFL has built a system where it's almost impossible to get that wrong forever.

North Melbourne have a great opportunity now to re-emerge as a new brand.

Moving to the ACT and replacing the GIANTS sounds easy ... until you see the work the GIANTS have done in Canberra and will continue to do. They actually have a strong base there and it's arguably very important given their situation in Sydney. Losing access to the Riverina won't help, either.

What North should be doing is targeting both multicultural communities and country Victoria. Go out to the regions, be a presence and people start to take note. Immigrants to Australia have learnt and loved the game before - it's not impossible and a huge myth they only like soccer. Heaps of people follow both soccer and footy.

If they're really stuck, they could find an international area like America to compliment other zones. USAFL is emerging and Cox can't be the only American capable of playing in the 2020s.

Tassie is now out of the conversation - they have the Devils brand and they're sticking with it. They don't need more road kill anyway.

North Melbourne have a great opportunity now to re-emerge as a new brand.

Moving to the ACT and replacing the GIANTS sounds easy ... until you see the work the GIANTS have done in Canberra and will continue to do. They actually have a strong base there and it's arguably very important given their situation in Sydney. Losing access to the Riverina won't help, either.

What North should be doing is targeting both multicultural communities and country Victoria. Go out to the regions, be a presence and people start to take note. Immigrants to Australia have learnt and loved the game before - it's not impossible and a huge myth they only like soccer. Heaps of people follow both soccer and footy.

If they're really stuck, they could find an international area like America to compliment other zones. USAFL is emerging and Cox can't be the only American capable of playing in the 2020s.

Tassie is now out of the conversation - they have the Devils brand and they're sticking with it. They don't need more road kill anyway.
While I do think the Giants eventually need to move on from Canberra and the Riverina and stop blocking the ACT from actually having their own team one day, you are most likely correct about the Giants having done enough work there to cement them as the second favourite of the place, and when I say second, I mean second only to ACT actually having their own team.

Canberra is probably much more likely to embrace their own team or a relocated GWS than anyone else, and we know the Giants will never leave Western Sydney, and understandably so.

If North could reinvent themselves anywhere, I think North Sydney has the potential, but they are looking at Bendigo as a secondary market and have no intention of ever leaving Victoria.

North Sydney would be a good market for them if North Sydney oval gets redeveloped. 8 games in Sydney, 2 in Newcastle, 1 in Gosford. A massive population in Sydney plus tapping into the big Hunter and Central Coast regions. A huge risk but huge reward if it worked. North Sydney Kangaroos means they get to keep their North name and they can keep their colours and song, too, just with a slight lyrics change. I reckon a lot of the Roos supporters in Melbourne would keep watching them on the tele and live when they travel to Melbourne to play. But the Roos are the ones who'd have to be convinced of such a move.

No thanks we dont want the "Kangaroos" they already tried stealing the Sydney market in 2000-2001.

While I do think the Giants eventually need to move on from Canberra and the Riverina and stop blocking the ACT from actually having their own team one day, you are most likely correct about the Giants having done enough work there to cement them as the second favourite of the place, and when I say second, I mean second only to ACT actually having their own team.

Canberra is probably much more likely to embrace their own team or a relocated GWS than anyone else, and we know the Giants will never leave Western Sydney, and understandably so.

If North could reinvent themselves anywhere, I think North Sydney has the potential, but they are looking at Bendigo as a secondary market and have no intention of ever leaving Victoria.
I understand what you mean about the GIANTS. Where they’re successful is southern NSW and I don’t know how it would go if the AFL ripped them out of the region.

The ACT gets a team eventually but the partnership is strong and the GIANTS have a base there, which is important when their Sydney one isn’t as strong as it could be.

Northern Sydney could be scope for the Roos and then it could tie into South Melbourne with Sydney. However, that would likely kill off the long-term supporters. Bendigo has potential but nowhere near big enough area. The AFL know there will be huge backlash so wouldn’t.

Tennant Creek CrocoRoos

LSz3qQyA9p.png

Back