Los Angeles Lakers Thread - The Inagural IST World Champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep.

I love Russell but don't mind this move. Clearing the massive Mozgov contract is a huge win - opens the door for George next year (and possibly LeBron).

Lopez is a good player. I wonder what our play is with the pick - we've got three first rounders now, we could bundle something up for a player (George?) or potentially move up the order for someone we like.
Should also add, this almost guarantees we will pick Lonzo at #2.

I like Lopez, and apparently it says in the latest Woj article that we're getting Caris LeVert too, who I rate

But I really hope DLo doesn't turn into a star, which I feel he will
I think he will be a good player but probably not what's expected of him as a #2 pick. We simply couldn't carry a back court of Lonzo & Russell - teams would score 150 on us

Oh, and the Celtics also own the Nets’ unprotected pick in 2018 as part of the same trade.

Okay, so what does this mean? And what is an "unprotected" pick?
The pick has no restrictions - for example: the Lakers pick this year was top 3 protected. IE if the pick was 4 or lower it would've gone to the 76ers, as part of the Steve Nash trade a few years ago.

If that same pick was unprotected, the 76ers would be picking at 1 AND 2 (our pick) in this year's draft

The pick has no restrictions - for example: the Lakers pick this year was top 3 protected. IE if the pick was 4 or lower it would've gone to the 76ers, as part of the Steve Nash trade a few years ago.

If that same pick was unprotected, the 76ers would be picking at 1 AND 2 (our pick) in this year's draft

I'm going to stop asking questions about this topic because the answers I get only adds to my confusion :)

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is like when we traded for Steve Nash. Hopefully the offer is more like 27 + 28 - take it or leave it.

I don't know why you're comparing the two.

Nash was nearing 40 when we traded for him, PG is what...27?

He's a FA next year but as long as it doesn't cost us the world I see no issue in trading for him now to get it over the line. Late first round picks + Clarkson for George would be a no-brainer for us, and I'm a fan of JC.

I don't know why you're comparing the two.

Nash was nearing 40 when we traded for him, PG is what...27?

He's a FA next year but as long as it doesn't cost us the world I see no issue in trading for him now to get it over the line. Late first round picks + Clarkson for George would be a no-brainer for us, and I'm a fan of JC.
The comparison was more so the situation rather than the players. With Nash we traded for a free agent (I think we panicked because he was looking at NY amongst other options?). And we ended up investing way too many assets.

I don't see why we would do 27, 28 & Randle/Clarkson when we can get PG for nothing next year...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Aldridge - Lakers, per sources, engaged Sacramento in talks that would have sent the 2nd pick to the Kings for Sac’s two 1st-rounders (5 and 10). Lakers would have then packaged one of the Kings’ picks w/27 & 28 along w/player in offer to Indy for Paul George. But Kings said no

That is the dumbest thing I have read. Trade DLO followed by pass up Ball o_O

I'm going to stop asking questions about this topic because the answers I get only adds to my confusion :)

Thanks anyway.

I remember having an argument with you over small market teams and now the fact that you've revealed you don't even know what pick protections are says all I need to know...

I actually wrote on twitter yesterday that I would have traded #2 for #5 and #10 and on-trade #10 with #28 and Randle/Clarkson for PG13. I'm not convinced Ball is the 'star' that many claim him to be. Players 2-5 on the big board this year are all pretty even, I'd be happy with any of those.

Getting rid of Russell was necessary for the team to move forward. Assuming they're going to draft Ball, trying to fit him and DLo in the same lineup is near impossible. Can't have two defensive liabilities at the guard spots. Getting rid of the Mozgov contract is one headache gone, and Lopez will be a significant upgrade over Moz anyway. I'm interested to see how this affects Zubac, because I was really, really impressed with the kid when he got minutes late in the year.

Still think that we end up with PG13 in the next 48 hours, but the NBA is such a fluctuating league right now that anything could happen.

I actually wrote on twitter yesterday that I would have traded #2 for #5 and #10 and on-trade #10 with #28 and Randle/Clarkson for PG13. I'm not convinced Ball is the 'star' that many claim him to be. Players 2-5 on the big board this year are all pretty even, I'd be happy with any of those.

Getting rid of Russell was necessary for the team to move forward. Assuming they're going to draft Ball, trying to fit him and DLo in the same lineup is near impossible. Can't have two defensive liabilities at the guard spots. Getting rid of the Mozgov contract is one headache gone, and Lopez will be a significant upgrade over Moz anyway. I'm interested to see how this affects Zubac, because I was really, really impressed with the kid when he got minutes late in the year.

Still think that we end up with PG13 in the next 48 hours, but the NBA is such a fluctuating league right now that anything could happen.
I think the Lopez acquisition isn't about the player, more so the impending salary relief. Off-loading Moz was huge, but what has been lost a bit in this trade is the fact Lopez's contract only has 1 year left. So in 2018 free agency we (should) have enough space for two max contracts...

Why do teams continute to take on horribly unnecessary contracts and then less than 12 months later have to give up prized assets just to dump the contract?

If any other business in the real world failed to do their diligence like some NBA teams do, they would be in liquidation right now

SMDH

There will be a few other decent point guards available at 5

I think the Lopez acquisition isn't about the player, more so the impending salary relief. Off-loading Moz was huge, but what has been lost a bit in this trade is the fact Lopez's contract only has 1 year left. So in 2018 free agency we (should) have enough space for two max contracts...

I would not be surprised at all to see Lopez get traded.

I like GSW's blueprint for centres - just pay any huge dopey scumbag peanuts as a rental. The game has passed the traditional centre by IMO.

There will be a few other decent point guards available at 5

I am not convinced by Ball at all. The Lakers need scorers and I am not sure Ball will ever be a scorer. Maybe they do have something else in mind.

DLo is a shame. I liked him - especially his passing. But I can accept he screwed up massively with the phone thing and if the rumours about work ethic and locker room stuff are true then maybe he had to go. Reading between the lines it sounds like he did not have the discipline to implement or even learn what he was supposed to be doing.

I hope the Lakers know what they are doing. The only positive so far is getting rid of Mozgov's contract. Is that really worth losing DLo?

I like GSW's blueprint for centres - just pay any huge dopey scumbag peanuts as a rental. The game has passed the traditional centre by IMO.

Yeah mobility is paramount

Draymond, DmC, KAT

Or at least a big that can stretch the floor, which Lopez is. I maintain Brook will only be here for a year but he could be pretty handy next season, particularly after adding a three-point shot from nowhere last year (averaged 34% from 3). With another off-season under his belt you could only expect that number to improve

Or at least a big that can stretch the floor, which Lopez is. I maintain Brook will only be here for a year but he could be pretty handy next season, particularly after adding a three-point shot from nowhere last year (averaged 34% from 3). With another off-season under his belt you could only expect that number to improve

Already has Kobe covered :oops:

I remember having an argument with you over small market teams and now the fact that you've revealed you don't even know what pick protections are says all I need to know...

Sorry for asking questions but I don't pretend to know everything like you do. Welcome to my ignore list because, quite frankly, I find you flatulent and I'm not really interested in what you think. See you later "genius", and I use that term to show I have a sense of humour.

And as I said before .... that's not "all you need to know". Try acting like a decent human being for a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back