Opinion The PB's - a celebration of 150 years. This year or later?

Should we wear the Bars this year or wait until we play in front of a home crowd?

• I want the bars now! Crowd doesn't matter.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • We should wait. The bars need to be celebrated properly.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Pretty straight forward.

I'm firmly in the 'wait until we play in front of our home crowd' camp.

My post from the Gold Coast thread:

What if the bars is something we don't get to wear again for several years?

Would you be happy to look back as the last time being when we wore them on the Gold Coast in front of no crowd?

To me that's not a celebration. Its something that will be forgotten about.

Part of what made the 2014 EF special is not just wearing them, but the spectacular scenes when interacting with the crowd. I don't want them being worn when there is no atmosphere.

Every year.

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume this is our one opportunity. Wearing them is due to 150 year celebrations.

For the purpose of this thread, let's assume this is our one opportunity. Wearing them is due to 150 year celebrations.
I’d rather NEVER wear it again than just get one last token one!

Annual show of gtfo!

I’d rather NEVER wear it again than just get one last token one!

Annual show of gtfo!

Even if we wear them this year that still has no affect on how much we wear them in the future! It's really irrelevant to the premise of the thread.

Even if we wear them this year that still has no affect on how much we wear them in the future! It's really irrelevant to the premise of the thread.
Not true and hasn’t been true of every other time we’ve worn it. We have been told nearly every time will be the last.

Your thread also has the premise that they should be celebrated properly so it is very relevant.

So, to bring it back to your narrowed idea if the thread.
No to this year as it could be the last.

also wondering why you’d start a thread if you don’t want discussion.

Not true and hasn’t been true of every other time we’ve worn it. We have been told nearly every time will be the last.

Your thread also has the premise that they should be celebrated properly so it is very relevant.

So, to bring it back to your narrowed idea if the thread.
No to this year as it could be the last.

also wondering why you’d start a thread if you don’t want discussion.

Far out.

Because we've had a million discussions over our use of the guernsey going forward.

The majority of people want it back on a regular basis. That is already known.

I started this because we were going to wear it this year as a celebration. That hasn't happened. Football is about to start up again and we don't know what that will look like in terms of our 150th celebration.

Saying "I want it all the time!" doesn't really answer anything. We don't know the future looks like, we do know the AFL has granted permission for this celebration.

I personally would rather hold off until we can do it justice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far out.

Because we've had a million discussions over our use of the guernsey going forward.

The majority of people want it back on a regular basis. That is already known.

I started this because we were going to wear it this year as a celebration. That hasn't happened. Football is about to start up again and we don't know what that will look like in terms of our 150th celebration.

Saying "I want it all the time!" doesn't really answer anything. We don't know the future looks like, we do know the AFL has granted permission for this celebration.

I personally would rather hold off until we can do it justice.
It is very relevant to what people answer.
If it’s this time Only, whether it’s this year or next people will obviously go with next.

If it’s this year and next, a lot will say yes to this year, but some will say not without a crowd.

It is very relevant to what people answer.
If it’s this time Only, whether it’s this year or next people will obviously go with next.

If it’s this year and next, a lot will say yes to this year, but some will say not without a crowd.

That's what I'm wondering - are people happy to see us run out in this in front of no one.

That's what I'm wondering - are people happy to see us run out in this in front of no one.
Absolutely yes if we are wearing it next year as well.
Hell no if we aren’t.

Quite frankly we should stop asking and start to be assertive. Tell the AFL we have gone far to long not wearing the guernsey we had been wearing for over 100 years when they invited us to join the AFL and we are wearing it every week as our new Primary Jumper and if Eddie don't like it that isn't our problem, if they don't like it then that isn't our problem.

Invite them to take us to court if they want us to stop.

Quite frankly we should stop asking and start to be assertive. Tell the AFL we have gone far to long not wearing the guernsey we had been wearing for over 100 years when they invited us to join the AFL and we are wearing it every week as our new Primary Jumper and if Eddie don't like it that isn't our problem, if they don't like it then that isn't our problem.

Invite them to take us to court if they want us to stop.

The AFL as an organisation has never been stronger.
All clubs rely on them now.

I think we should be pushing to wear the Prison Bars as often as possible this year.
2 reasons for me:
This year is our 150th regardless of the circumstances.
Although the crowds won’t be there I think the TV audience will be huge due to people being starved of sport to watch.

I think getting the jumper in front of people as often as possible can only help the cause as far as wearing it more often.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
So it looks like the PBs have sold out on the Port Store's website... again. At least they'll have at least 10 months to make sure they're back in stock before we wear them again

Back