Opinion The PB's - a celebration of 150 years. This year or later?

Should we wear the Bars this year or wait until we play in front of a home crowd?

• I want the bars now! Crowd doesn't matter.

Votes: 58 85.3%
  • We should wait. The bars need to be celebrated properly.

Votes: 10 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You want the goodwill of the members/supporters?
Then wear the damn guernsey as planned and worry about the next time when you have to.

My hunch is that you would get a flurry of pledges of memberships as soon as you announce that the club is wearing them as planned.

"Our members have spoken and we're wearing the guernsey as originally planned. We will talk about plans for the future once this season is over."

Bang. Done.

Focus on the footy.
Get the season done.
Remove Ken.
Say goodbye to KT.

Roll into 2021 with a submission to the AFL to wear them in the home Showdown again.

This is the only strategy there is.

Not wearing it "because it wouldn't feel right" makes it seem to me that they see the PB as nothing more than a nice gimmick. A marketing opportunity.

People in charge clearly don't care for the guernsey that much or maybe they don't understand it.
They seem content with just bringing it back every new and then, like KFC's Hot n Spicy, and making some dollars.

Gross

Wear it whenever we can, wherever we can.

Part of me thinks that if we don’t wear it for the game that we had planned for then we may not get another chance given the vagaries of the AFL and our current management.

I’m particularly disappointed Richardson is the one asking the question as he seemed to be the one guy who could see what the members want.

I’ve said all along that crowd or no crowd this is our 150 and we wear it.

Sure we can push to wear it again next year but “Back in the Bars for our 151st” isn’t quite the same!!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did we ever get the real story wrt that PB run out top we were supposedly going to wear pregame against Collingwood at the G? The ones that ended up at the Port Store a couple of years back (2017?).

I was told that they “weren’t delivered in time” for that game but that doesn’t explain why we didn’t wear them in other games or try again the following year if we were hell bent on throwing them in Collingwood’s face.

Feels like someone tried to be brave on this and then either blinked or got reigned in.

The real story will probably come out at the same time as the real story about Dan Houston, the iron on numbers and his suspicious non appearance in the 2017 Shanghai game.

Not wearing it "because it wouldn't feel right" makes it seem to me that they see the PB as nothing more than a nice gimmick. A marketing opportunity.

People in charge clearly don't care for the guernsey that much or maybe they don't understand it.
They seem content with just bringing it back every new and then, like KFC's Hot n Spicy, and making some dollars.

Gross

I think it's more that they would gain sales on merch if it was worn for a game that had a large attendance.
Which then leads you to the conclusion that they know it's only ever going to be a one off.

I hope I'm wrong on that last point though.

Gross

>doesn't feel right to wear Prison Bars
>gets miffed at saying "reserves" team

One of these things is important to Port Adelaide culture. The other is basically irrelevent.

You want the goodwill of the members/supporters?
Then wear the damn guernsey as planned and worry about the next time when you have to.

My hunch is that you would get a flurry of pledges of memberships as soon as you announce that the club is wearing them as planned.

"Our members have spoken and we're wearing the guernsey as originally planned. We will talk about plans for the future once this season is over."

Bang. Done.

Focus on the footy.
Get the season done.
Remove Ken.
Say goodbye to KT.

Roll into 2021 with a submission to the AFL to wear them in the home Showdown again.

This is the only strategy there is.
Change once this season is over to once this game is over.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit of a no brainer really. Wear it in the 150th year against the crows as intended. No fans will be there but we will all be sitting at home watching it on TV and it will be nice to see after this s**t show last couple of months.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

>doesn't feel right to wear Prison Bars
>gets miffed at saying "reserves" team

One of these things is important to Port Adelaide culture. The other is basically irrelevent.

The regime has been deluded about this for years. I get the impression Richardson as the CEO of a quickly haemorrhaging PAMFC (which IIRC he didn't help correct much before jumping ship to the Power, but happy to be corrected on that) clings to the scraps of the past and is incapable admitting that he, along with the rest of the executives and board at the club, converted our SANFL team into a reserves outfit. It's not a bad thing, they just seem incapable of actually owning the decision, which is baffling.

118 years, 33 premierships

E1PARi14JE59612.jpg

10 years, 0 finals wins

port-loss.png

That's just it. If the people running our club right now believed that we have the right to wear them, even if it's just for 'special occasions', then they'd just go ahead and submit it for approval without all the hooplah. It's the one point that I agree with Eddie Mc on; I'm sick of the whining about it.

The truth is though, the main people in charge, don't believe that the guernsey is our right, nor do they believe it is part of our future.

It would be so simple to designate this guernsey, within our official uniform, as a 'special use' or 'legacy' option for wearing when we want to celebrate something about our club.
Send it through every year to the AFL, force them to knock it back every year.
Send out a PR release every year explaining why.
Be relentless. Be ruthless.

Sell the guernsey each year from the club store, with a design element that denotes the times it's been knocked back.
Build a mythology around the fight for the right to wear the guernsey.
Get the supporter base to galvanise behind the fight.

We will never, ever, give up the bars.
Ever.

Narrator: They did.

The bolded is all I ask.

If we can't wear them, make the AFL publicly rebuff us, and then make a public statement about the fact that we requested them and were denied. Again and again. If you can't do that, then you're not the right person to do your job as a leader at this club. Simple.

Instead we've got Matthew Richardson umming and erring about whether we want to wear them or not, despite overwhelming, undeniable support for the bars. Richo is smart, has his ear to the ground, and ultimately knows better than that. Why is he willfully ignoring the supporter base?

converted our SANFL team into a reserves outfit.
I really don't get that stance from Richo. The side that plays in the SANFL is not our first team. Its a team made up of the guys who weren't selected for the first/senior team. That makes it the Reserves side.

The Reserves just play in the SANFL. He might have a point about AFL and SANFL sides, if the SANFL side was selected from a squad independent of the AFL squad. And when people call the SANFL side the "Power Reserves" we should be saying, no its the Port Adelaide Football Club Reserves, and when we beat them we should be rubbing in their face that they can't even beat our reserves side.

And if anyone at the club ever thinks that wearing the PBs "doesn't feel right", then their next action should be writing a letter of resignation.

Pretty straight forward.

I'm firmly in the 'wait until we play in front of our home crowd' camp.

Crowds may not happen this year and next year Eddie will have withdrawn his permission so we won't be able to wear it anyway. If we knew when the home crowd was going to eventuate I would probably agree with you but we don't so we have to wear it now or possibly never.

Having said that David Koch has been all over SEVEN News floating the idea of restricted crowds. Given we can't even get permission for players to FIFO I cannot see crowds even on a restricted basis anytime soon. The NRL is also pushing for crowds and that may have influenced Koch who lives in Sydney. The problem with crowds is not just the seating arrangement but getting into the ground and exiting while observing some semblence of social distancing. If they had crowds it would have to be on a booking system with specified arrival times, entry points and exiting by seat numbers to enforce social distancing. I doubt there would be any bars open and drinks would probably have to be served in the seats. Even if we get crowds at AFL games in 2020 they are not likely to be crowds as we have known them. Then of course there is the small matter of the SMA to deal with. Not much good putting 10,000 bums on seats if it is going to cost us money.

A pity that there would be no crowds, but the rest of Australia, plus overseas viewers, will be able to see the PB's in action on the small screen, and marvel at the greatest guernsey in Australian sport.

So looks like we are allowed to wear it ONCE and that is it. Club is trying to work out which ONE time would be best.

It’s a absolute joke and embarrassingly weak. Acting as a ‘little club that knows it’s place at the bottom of the pecking order’ just as our very own Chairman would expect. It’s his mantra, Koch’s Creed.

Stop being snivelling wimps and start bargaining high.

Tell Gill we play in the PB's in EVERY HOME GAME from next year onwards - and eventually end up agreeing on twice a year every year until hell freezes over!
We originally asked for a strong statement from the club, they still refuse to make one!

I will dust off my pb jumper that was offered in our last anniversary. The one you could buy to have your name on it, If I CBF’d. Rather be there with it on... Still might wear it on the day.. take a photo at home and post it here... again if I CBF’d...

Back