Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobbe ranks second in AFL for average hitouts behind Gawn. With 4 games to go I’d like him to play the rest of the year.
Lobbe two games, two weeks we have looked better in the middle..coincidence?
Kreuzer is Kreuzer and we are better when he plays in ways that are more than the ruck
Phillips may produce and has looked ok once or twice
Lobbe...well he is the limited kind of handy ruckman other teams have won flags with

Still believe he only fits for us a defender long term.
I think (hope) he will play either end like his dad...and in the middle like his grandad..the young man has that most valuable asset in the game ..a football brain..it cant be learned or trained...and it wins matches when its tight..he also takes a knock ...will knock a few around...got some mongrel..he has concentration...and work ethic.but heck it takes time..more time than we care to have to wait

Agreed. Love Samo, he is one of my favourites. Despite no pre-seasons yet they still managed to get around 40 games development into him in his first two seasons, Samo and Fisher last year. Dow and O'Brien this year. Getting genuine players with our early picks has been a godsend. So easy for clubs to only get 50% strike rate with early picks but in last 3 seasons we going well above that. Been tough going on scoreboard and injuries but we been playing the kids that not injured and the pay off in long run really excites.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry. Thought he was absolutely terrific today.

Kicked 3 and probably should have had at least one more. Four contested marks too - easily the best game of his career to date, against a pretty formidable opponent.

A huge positive in what was otherwise a pretty ordinary day for the footy club.

Well done young man.

Harry. Thought he was absolutely terrific today.

Kicked 3 and probably should have had at least one more. Four contested marks too - easily the best game of his career to date, against a pretty formidable opponent.

A huge positive in what was otherwise a pretty ordinary day for the footy club.

Well done young man.

Yep, should have kicked 5 but will work on that and we got a real talent here. Exciting times to think how good he and Charlie will be together after 2 more years of playing with each other.

Paddy Dow has that wow factor too.

McKay very impressive yesterday. This was the first game where he put it all together.

STAGE 1 (Magical Potential) - Early on he had games where he would kick his 2 goals but go missing for large patches, wouldn't apply defensive pressure and would fail to create a contest.

These were good mercurial signs but he was a very deficient player and for the times he didn't contest, it would result in an easy intercept mark and ball being blasted the other way.

STAGE 2 (Growing Pains and Discipline) - This was the hard-work phase where we as supporters got frustrated that he wasn't playing seniors, and he wasn't pulling the finger out at VFL level. It seems like the coaching group were working on the other aspects of his game. This is when a lot of the doubts came in because we only get to see a snapshot of what's going on. Player development is like an iceberg - most of it is happening under the surface.

STAGE 3 (Consistent Effort) - This is McKay the last month or so, both at VFL and AFL level when he has started competing much more consistently, applying better defensive pressure and creating contests even when he can't take the mark. This is so important for our crumbers. He wasn't getting the goals, however I think the club was still very happy with his consistency as it's better for the team, even when he doesn't kick them himself.

STAGE 4 (Starting to see the Fruits) - This is where I hope he is now! Yesterday was the first time we've seen him compete for most of the game and get reward for effort with a few goals. He's not there yet, but the signs are great. Continue to have this great attitude, continue to build your tank and go running with Charlie. He has great skills, he's a walking mismatch and he has that mercurial nature to just go for a magical sprint when no other big can keep up with him.

This is what we need. Him and Charlie could form a formidable duo for years to come, regardless of whether we take big Lukousius or not.

Loved McKay. Better than Lynch ;)

Even on a tough day I saw positive signs in Pickett Polson Charlie Dow SPS & LOB. The future is bright!
I'm just hanging out for round 1 when we hopefully get to see Docherty, Plowman, Fisher, Williamson, Cuningham & Macreadie named alongside them...

I'm just hanging out for round 1 when we hopefully get to see Docherty, Plowman, Fisher, Williamson, Cuningham & Macreadie named alongside them...

Yep! :thumbsu: I really am looking forward to seeing something close to our best side on the park. Even better with what we will add this year and our young players getting another pre season. Exciting times ahead

For all the issues this year the biggest positive for me is the games we have been able to get into our Under 21 group. It will help players come on a bit quicker and given a better injury run should help us really improve in 2019. I expect these players to be regulars next year because of it

Charlie
Weitering
Dow
O'Brien
Pickett
Silvagni
SPS
Kennedy
Fisher
McKay

If you had to build a new team from scratch and could pick any AFL player you’d pick Cripps. If you had to pick a forward you would pick Curnow. If you had to pick a defender you would pick Docherty.

We truly have an elite core to build a team around. That hasn’t been true in over 20 years and few current teams have as elite and young a core as we do. We have the base and we may already have another ten players who will form our next premiership team. SOS will fill in the gaps.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back