Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best chance of winning enough games to make finals is to somehow fool our players with where we are on the ladder…

in reality we move up the ladder but somehow our players need to think we are still well away from top 8…that we can’t make finals. If they get Any hint that we make finals it will completely blow our chances.
Maybe if we don’t turn up to games they’ll think the seasons over ergo nothing on the line no fear they cut loose … lol

Think I’m in the minority not calling for Dow to be elevated into the 22, personally think he’s the perfect sub. I’d only bring him into the side if one of the mids who played on the weekend are injured. The sub role plays to Dow’s strengths and they are further enhanced by others around him being fatigue so his burst and explosiveness look more pronounced. I’m not a Fog fan at all, but we are a much more balanced side with him in the team as he does all the little team things well, is a smart footballer and also can play forward pocket, flank and also pinch hit in the guts whereas Dow is largely a liability anywhere other than the guts.

Having a good look at the replay finally.
Nothing wrong with the 1st quarter.
Played the exact same way without the results that came later.
Running hard and the overlap.

Not sure what the criticism is other than nervous supporters basing it on the scoreboard.
We attacked and ran hard and should have been well in front by 1/4 time.
Gold Coast had some luck for sure.

Ok onto 2nd quarter.

No it was realistic to think we could miss. I thought we would keep going. That was my hope.

There are many different factors in football that can make you play worse. Not too many that can make you play better.
All I know is we went 8-2 then 4-8 last year so there is no reason why we can’t do it again this year except the other way around.

I estimate we need a minimum of 48 points to play finals; so I believe 7 wins out of the final 9 should do it.

Besides the 4 games we are expected to win; we need 3 wins out of 5 games against Freo (away), Port (home), Pies, Saints, Dees. Unlikely but not impossible; Caaarn Caaarlton.

48 points is highly unlikely to be the target - that would not have been enough most of the last ten years including last year when we missed out with 48- and this year everyone has an extra game plus the bottom two clubs have only won three games combined so far which means it’s likely even 52 points may not be enough. In any case we can get 50 or 54 and not 48 or 52. Only 54 would be enough for finals for us which means we would have to win 8 out of 9 including against the top 3 teams.

No point even speculating about it unless we win our next 3 against Hawks, Freo away and Port at home which would then mean we would need to go 5-1 from there which is possible but not impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

48 points is highly unlikely to be the target - that would not have been enough most of the last ten years including last year when we missed out with 48- and this year everyone has an extra game plus the bottom two clubs have only won three games combined so far which means it’s likely even 52 points may not be enough. In any case we can get 50 or 54 and not 48 or 52. Only 54 would be enough for finals for us which means we would have to win 8 out of 9 including against the top 3 teams.

No point even speculating about it unless we win our next 3 against Hawks, Freo away and Port at home which would then mean we would need to go 5-1 from there which is possible but not impossible.

I did say a minimum, but will double down on 48 points because of the remaining fixture. Hawks a must win and I would say one of two against Freo and Port keeping a good percentage against both. IMO

I did say a minimum, but will double down on 48 points because of the remaining fixture. Hawks a must win and I would say one of two against Freo and Port keeping a good percentage against both. IMO
Theirs is an extra game this year would suggest 13 wins would get in ?

What the heck happend? - How did our happless blues kick their average score in a quarter, and what, if anything does it mean for us post bye?

A series of questions emerge from this strange set of circumstances. We all know how much we have sucked and what the dingus chorus of talking heads think of our last 8 weeks. But what the hell was that game against the Suns? How in the world did such a shining statistical outlier occur when it seemed fate would have us kick 58 and lose by 20 on a sunday afternoon?

Questions:
Were the suns spuds?
Did our forwards simply, ‘catch the ball and kick the goal?’
Is it the emergence of boyd chinc and kemp as decent run and disposal off half back?
The revenant martin and cunningham being clean and gaining space and time?
Disposal? - you all know what i mean
Players on the moving forward at stoppage?
Are we just downhill skiing bullies?
All the things?

And if anything, what are we to expect when we line up against the Hawks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theirs is an extra game this year would suggest 13 wins would get in ?

Carlton 22 need 7 wins = 28 50 points
Wins: Hawks, Freo, Eagles, Saints, Suns, Giants, Dees
Losses: Coll, Port

Adel: Wins 5=20 point 28point =48 points
Wins: North, Giants, suns, swans, eagles
Losses: Coll, Ess, Mel, Lions, Port

Ess: 5 = 20 point + 32 points = 52
Wins: Crows, swans, eagles, North, Giants
Losses Freo (A), port, Cats, dogs, pies

Richmond 4=16 points + 26 point = 42
Wins: Swans, eagles, Hawks, North
Losses: Lions, Dees, Dogs, Saints, Port

Geelong :5=24points +24 = 48
Wins: Mel, North, Ess, Freo, Dogs
Losses: Swans, Lions, Port, Coll, Saints

If this occurs then there is one spot left at 48 points+

No resistance from GC and a better selected team from us.
Tackled better because we had more mature bodies forward of the ball.
Played smarter footy because we had smarter players forward of the ball.
Had kicks from better places because of the above.
...jury is out until we win a game where it matters.

It’s exactly what you said… an outlier. We were pretty much the same team in the other 3 quarters. I don’t believe it means anything big picture wise. We still made basic skill errors throughout the game. I just don’t see anything special with our game style and mindset. It’s still very much a work in progress and we need to find better experienced players to sit alongside our stars.

Last year when they beat us, the big reason they did was because they played 1on1 at the stoppages and wrestled with us. Teams figured out this was something our midfield didn't like and other sides beat us this way as well.

We've been standing and wrestling at stoppages all season. After 1/4 time we decided we would avoid this and get our feet moving. Made all the difference having our inside players on the move around stoppages.

That and having the half backs running through from behind the contest.

Hawthorn in our next game, it's another big opportunity to build this running game we seem to be trying to create.

It’s exactly what you said… an outlier. We were pretty much the same team in the other 3 quarters. I don’t believe it means anything big picture wise. We still made basic skill errors throughout the game. I just don’t see anything special with our game style and mindset. It’s still very much a work in progress and we need to find better experienced players to sit alongside our stars.

Disagree strongly.

Even in Q1 it was evident we were taking the game on a lot more.....

TDK/Pitto negated Witts and our mids were well over due to put in a 'good one'....

GC simply couldn't get their hands on the pill enough (our boys have been there plenty in recent months)_and our tackling/general pressure was above AFL average....

We still won Q3 and Q4 and arguably should have won Q1 too.

Tackles were 69 to 51 (we more than doubled our tackle count from the previous week). So they weren't that bad!

Plus we found some efficiency I50 - and kicked straight!

Last edited:
No resistance from GC and a better selected team from us.
Tackled better because we had more mature bodies forward of the ball.
Played smarter footy because we had smarter players forward of the ball.
Had kicks from better places because of the above.
...jury is out until we win a game where it matters.

Agree - once we got the run on in the 2nd quarter Gold Coast offered seemingly zero resistance.

I can't imagine Ross Lyons St.Kilda letting us kick 9 goals straight so easily ??

funny how we're s**t because we're s**t but when we're not s**t it's not really because we're not s**t but more because they were............s**t I mean.....

Last edited:
I think we went with more of a chaos system around the stoppages, just get on the move, if it doesn't fall to us use pace to get to it and it worked. It's what the better teams are doing.

I think in the past we have been trying to be too organised and systematic at stoppages. Go to player X where this to me looked a little more random.

I really liked having Walsh playing with more momentum at the contests and looking to get the ball on the outside and run forward with it. This is why I want Dow in the team because he does this as well.

Cerra isn't slow but Walsh and Dow are probably our only onballers who have genuine speed. I think we are making a mistake not playing him and not using him.

Back