Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Remove this Banner Ad

If you had to pick a defender you would pick Docherty.

No you wouldn't.

Otherwise agree with your general premise, that we have a terrific core in place now. Will look even better after the draft and trade periods too.

If you had to build a new team from scratch and could pick any AFL player you’d pick Cripps. If you had to pick a forward you would pick Curnow. If you had to pick a defender you would pick Docherty.

We truly have an elite core to build a team around. That hasn’t been true in over 20 years and few current teams have as elite and young a core as we do. We have the base and we may already have another ten players who will form our next premiership team. SOS will fill in the gaps.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cripps = Best long-term midfielder? Probably, although some would prefer Kelly.

Curnow = Best long-term forward? He's in the mix but I think most would prefer a true KPF like Hogan or Ben Brown.

Docherty = Best long-term defender? He plays in an absolutely stacked position, so you'd probably take someone like Andrews or even McGovern (Doch isn't that young so you'd have to look at everyone).

Cripps = Best long-term midfielder? Probably, although some would prefer Kelly.

Curnow = Best long-term forward? He's in the mix but I think most would prefer a true KPF like Hogan or Ben Brown.

Docherty = Best long-term defender? He plays in an absolutely stacked position, so you'd probably take someone like Andrews or even McGovern (Doch isn't that young so you'd have to look at everyone).

True Kelly is arguably better than Cripps but Cripps adds a leadership dimension and wins the contested football. Hogan is also a gun but Curnow will be a tougher match up in the future. Docherty was the youngest All Australian defender at just 23 but Andrews is younger and getting better. So yes you could argue each are perhaps top but definitely Top 3 and you’d get ten more years out of each of them and we haven’t seen their best yet. So it’s pretty exciting we have each of them.

Yep Im keen to fast forward life by 7 months to next March!
With the occasional 'play' to check what's happened after FA/trade period and the draft before resuming normal viewing just as the preseason comp is starting up (always hanging out to see the new blue baggers run out for the first time, even in a mickey mouse format)

If you had to build a new team from scratch and could pick any AFL player you’d pick Cripps. If you had to pick a forward you would pick Curnow. If you had to pick a defender you would pick Docherty.

We truly have an elite core to build a team around. That hasn’t been true in over 20 years and few current teams have as elite and young a core as we do. We have the base and we may already have another ten players who will form our next premiership team. SOS will fill in the gaps.

100% agree with what you said and undoubtedly we have a very elite core in those 3 but there are others i'd pick in front of doc and cripps such as kelly and andrews

Despite this season being very ordingary as far as results go the last month or so has made me even more confident about the direction we are heading.

The big positives to come out of this year for me are;
1) Charlie Curnow looks like being the highest goal kicker for the blues since Jeff Garlett in 2013
2) Harry McKay looks to be having a mini-breakout (not dis-similar to Charlie's second half of 2017)
3) Zac Fisher has demonstrated he will be a serious footballer
4) SPS has averaged roughly 20 possessions and 3 tackles in the last 5 weeks
5) Paddy Dow has shown twice in the last two weeks just how good he can be with a loose ball gather, burst and finish inside 50

Those 5 players alone are a great core to build before you get to adding the likes of Cripps and Docherty and getting anything out of the other recent draft picks.

2018 positives

Cripps !!
C.Curnow / McKay combination shows promise
Simpson - the veteran still keeps putting in , probably 2nd in the B&F
Dow was pretty good for a 1st year player

About it !!

Last edited:
We have reached the low point. Limped through the end of the season with barely a fit player at the club, we will get much better from here.

New CEO will review the medical and coaching teams post season, should be some changes to both in terms of processes and perhaps personnel.

Plenty pointing to improvement next season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives:

Think our spine is set for the next 10 years...

Two outstanding leaders for the future in Cripps and Doc.
Due to injuries, forced to play kids early!

Now to load up on another 4 Mids, two small forwards who pressure and score and a lock down back pocket....
Replace medical, high performance and midfield coach.

Go Blues, don't think we are too far away...(i hope)

Cameron Polson's last month.

Sammo picking Gibbs pocket last night.

Cripps taking on 18 player at once, and winning more often than not.

H McKay and Charlie Curnow forming part of the best 1-2 punch forward lines in the comp.

That being the last game we play in this shitshow of a season.

I tend to feel positive until I see this thread return to the top of the forum and have to read fake positivity into an absolutely disastrous season.

What a clusterphuk of a season.

On a positive note, I haven’t died yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back