Toast The Positive thread: now with 2020 vision

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe about 5 or 6 weeks back, the general feeling was Kennedy and Lang looking like trades that not going to work out as not regular senior players or contributors. All of a sudden they both start looking like they belong out there and really playing their roles in forward half in a way that shows they got the footy nous to play 100 games for this club.
Keep it up fellas as it was two spots on list I was so close to conceding were busts. What a bonus to find Kennedy that most of us had plugged as inside mid only actually is probably more suited up forward and can do it really well.
Funny thing was, when he was in Giants senior team he was mainly a forward so odd how we did not work this out earlier. Better late than never, I guess. Super happy after feeling they would be a list loss a month or so ago.

I just watched the replay. Lang and Plowman were amongst our best players in the first quarter.

If our new coach is successful as our next premiership coach, oh boy, being only 38 years old, this could not be more ideal if it becomes a dynasty of premierships. He could have a long time being the coach if all goes to plan. Love having a younger coach than someone in their late 50's...

I wonder which coach has longest stint as coach in our history and how many premierships they won in that time.
Teague has such a great opportunity here to really carve himself into a special place in football history.

Great day. For all the great positive posters on here sit tight for the next 2-3 months. Going to be fun. Lots will happen.

The wait has been worth it and now the climb begins. The hard times we have endured will make it all the more enjoyable

Enjoy!
Thanks for the encouragement soapy.
What has you most upbeat during the off season?

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Fitness & Strength Development
2. Another pre season into young group
3. Recruits
4. New Coaching staff
5. Depth and competition for spots

This has me upbeat for the off-season!!!

Last edited:
I wonder which coach has longest stint as coach in our history and how many premierships they won in that time.

David Parkin (over 2 stints); 15 years, 3 flags
Percy Bentley; 15 years, 2 flags
Norm Clark (3 stints); 9 seasons, 2 flags
David Teague; 18 years, 6 flags*

*TBC

1. Fitness & Strength Development
2. Another pre season into young group
3. Recruits
4. New Coaching staff
5. Depth and competition for spots

Yep, agree with this list!

Russell knows exactly what each of the current boys need to do to get the most out of themselves next year.

Can't wait to see who we get through the door from a playing and coaching perspective. It really will be a whole new club by the end of this off season...

And just on competition. It's one thing to have "talent" on the list who can shine if given the opportunity in the 22. It's quite another to have "talented competitors" on the list, duking it out for a spot in the 22. I think this is what SOS and co are building. Look at Walsh and Stocker for instance. Or Gibbons and Deluca. They want it so bad, and their competitive nature will lift those around them to greater heights... or, they won't be able to do it, and will therefore fall off the radar. Organic competition between talented teammates who are all invested in the end goal of winning a premiership or 5. Brilliant.

David Parkin (over 2 stints); 15 years, 3 flags
Percy Bentley; 15 years, 2 flags
Norm Clark (3 stints); 9 seasons, 2 flags
David Teague; 18 years, 6 flags*

*TBC

It is surprising the longest is Perc Bentley of 15 years.

Since I been following Carlton, Ian Stewart for about 6 games then some blow up btw captain and coach saw both leave and Jesaulenko eventually captain-coach from about round 7 or 8, 1978 until the premiership in 1979. club politics saw him leave after that.

Percy Jones 1980

David Parkin 1981... I am four years into following my club and we are onto our 4th coach in that time...lol

Parko last 4 years then Roberts Walls and him swapped clubs as coaches
Wallsy lasted 1986 to round 10ish of 1989 so did not even survive 3.5 years

Jezza did about two years then Parko back until he handed keys to Wayne Brittian. That the longest stint in my time...Parko about 8 years ?

Some clubs had same coach for around three decades.....

Some positives I have taken from this year so far:
Teague's appointment

SPS having the most consistent season of his short career

JSOS' improvement to become a best 22 player
Walsh... Rising star

Cripps and Docs leadership throughout the tough parts of the season

Jones and Weitering's defence dominance
Marchbanks improvement before injury

Plowman over the past few weeks. Turning into a defender who can play tall or small.

Gibbons and Deluca's tackling pressure

Ed and Murphy back playing where they belong

Small signs Stocker showed when playing in the seniors

McKay's first half of the year

McGovern's game on the weekend just gone

Winning 5 games and hopefully 1 or 2 more this half of the season

Plenty more I could add!

What is your view on the positives this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hands up if you didn't even know this thread existed until today and the bluemour thread lockdown forced you to look for other things to read and post....

Me neither.... Just asking for a friend...

For a 7-14 season with one game to play we have improved significantly from 2018 (even when including Bolton’s 11 games):
Our percentage is 87% (huge increase from 59%)
We have only had 4 losses above 30 points and only 2 above 42 points
We have had 4 losses under a goal
Another 4 losses in the 13-19 point range

We compare favorably to the Lions who in 2018 had:
5 wins (versus our 7 in 2019)
A percentage of 90%
4 losses under a goal
3 more losses between 7-18 points
Biggest losses were by 93 and 54 points

In 2019 the Lions have:
Increased wins from 5 to 16
Increased percentage from 90 to 121
Been assisted by a favorable draw that a 13-18 team is provided

So there’s a lot of hard work to do but we are tracking nicely heading into 2020 - especially as Teague now has a chance to create his own system and structures (as opposed to having to come up with plans to counter other teams). You would expect our percentage to increase from scoring more and more team wide defense (and fewer turnovers leadings to scores against).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Not the D word thread but fair to say that depth has got us 6 wins and is becoming more than depth.
Yep, we have supposedly not good enoughs out there every week doing the team stuff.
When we get our best team out there a few weeks in a row. Corrrrrrrr blimey.
I am positive about that.
It’s positive that you’re starving the D Word thread one post at a time.

I think this could do with a bump.

Stamos.

While you're frustrating me a bit at the moment, I'd like to ask you if things are okay. Obviously, this is a pretty difficult time to be a Carlton supporter, and if everything's cool then feel free to tell me to pull my head in.

I'm not apologising exactly, but I probably don't do enough to acknowledge that there's another person on the other end of the keyboard sometimes.

I think this could do with a bump.

Stamos.

While you're frustrating me a bit at the moment, I'd like to ask you if things are okay. Obviously, this is a pretty difficult time to be a Carlton supporter, and if everything's cool then feel free to tell me to pull my head in.

I'm not apologising exactly, but I probably don't do enough to acknowledge that there's another person on the other end of the keyboard sometimes.

Thanks for asking, I'm fine, I'm just feeling pretty despondent about our football club at the moment.

I'm a pretty positive, optimistic supporter (probably naively so, quite often). And we've had a lot of down times this century, but I've pretty much held my optimism through it all that things will improve. My faith held in both Malthouse, and Bolton for significantly longer than most supporters. I was happy to just write off our disastrous 2018 as an injury riddled blip.

But this is the first time, since 2015 when the club finally started towards the modern, professional era, with a complete rebuild of both the list and the Club, that I've lost my faith that we won't * this up. Sacking a CEO and a coach didn't matter, because we had the foundation of a gun list manager who knew what he was doing, and was rebuilding the right way. And now we've sacked one of the best List Managers in the competition due to ego and power struggles, and have no replacement lined up. How can you possibly trust that we're going to maintain our direction?

But given that this is the Positive Thread, I'll say that all is not necessarily lost. There are a few real positives still, that I'll finish with:

1. The List. It is overflowing with talent. And they are entrusted to
2. Andrew Russell. The best High Performance Manager in the business.
and then
3. Teague. It's been a small sample size, but I'm bullish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back