Remove this Banner Ad

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
Polkinghorne: he has been reborn in the last few games. He did some great stuff today and I remember very late in the game, a Lion got the ball and had to clear it. And I remember thinking, before I could identify the player, I hope he doesn't panic.

I realized it was Polks, and not only didn't he panic, he put us back on the attack! Maybe our biggest improver from last year...so impressed.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
And Patfull: he looked like such a calm reliable defender today, seemed to be everywhere he was needed.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Only Brisbane Lions player not to have a tackle was Ryan Lester.

What's this then?:

925235-168979444.jpg

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MAY 18: Ryan Lester of the Lions tackles Mark Baguley of the Bombers during the round eight AFL match between the Essendon Bombers and the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium on May 18, 2013 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images) Source:

Not sure what the stats man was watching then...

What's this then?:

925235-168979444.jpg

Oh boy, wowee - how did he miss that?

In other news, the stats man has last been sighted a bit red faced.

Can I say Polkinghorne again?? I really am pleased with his massive turnaround since he was dropped.

The timing on dropping him was perfect, he had been under pressure, went the sub, and then sent back just so he wasn't so comfortable with his place in the team. Can't fault the way he has gone about it since coming back into the team. It's why he was so frustrating before being dropped, we all knew he could do better.

What's this then?:

925235-168979444.jpg

A tackle is only a tackle if it negatively impacts or prevents the disposal of the ball. Looking at that picture Baguley has his arms free, so may have dished off the ball alright. If so, that's not a tackle as far as the stats go, it's a "pressure act".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything about yesterday :thumbsu:

Great flights, arrived early even. Nice lunch at pub with friends, then that wonderful game. Good sports Dons supporters around us. The atmosphere in the Victory Room after the game was amazing and we got to see Simon speak before having to run for the sky bus.

And how good will Tuesday night be now!! Woohoo!

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
No idea where to stick this...but it is a positive (link):

THE Lions have intensified the pressure factor as they aim to prove their NAB Cup form was no mirage. Beaten in almost every key statistic in their stunning upset of Essendon last Saturday, the side smashed the Bombers in an area guaranteed to get a smile from coach Michael Voss - tackling.
Brisbane overcame lopsided contested possession (147 to 120) and clearance (49 to 28) counts by laying 72 tackles to the Bombers' 49.

Brisbane are ranked fourth in the competition for tackling, behind only Sydney, West Coast and Fremantle and plan to heap pressure on Carlton at the Gabba on Saturday night. "It's probably the most telling (statistic)," Voss said. The glamour players and teams of the AFL are judged by their possession-gathering ability but attitude without the ball is equally important.

Lions Jack Redden and Brent Moloney are among the best in the code, and will need to be against the Blues who are also in the top 10 tackling teams.

Top tackling teams after round 8:
1. Sydney 575
2. West Coast 563
3. Fremantle 551
4. Brisbane 513
5. Port Adelaide 511
6. Carlton 510
7. Essendon 509
8. Western Bulldogs 497
9. Gold Coast 487
10. Hawthorn 479

Top five tacklers (average per game)
1. Scott Selwood (West Coast) 8.3
2. Jack Redden (Brisbane) 7.5
3. Kieren Jack (Sydney) 7.3
4. Andrew Swallow (North) 6.5
5. Luke Parker (Sydney) 6.3
Source: Champion Data

No idea where to stick this...but it is a positive (link):
That is some quality company to be apart of for Jacky.

I am a little taken back by the fact that the Doggies are 8th but maybe a case of being second to the ball far to often?

That is some quality company to be apart of for Jacky.

I am a little taken back by the fact that the Doggies are 8th but maybe a case of being second to the ball far to often?

The Doggies problem certainly isn't with their pressure acts I don't think. They have a bloody tough midfield growing down there. Was a lot more surprised with GC at 9th tbh!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back