The premiership race is not wide open

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't the Doggies exist anymore? They set up the ground as good as anyone and have the best attitude in the comp just about, They can beat anyone on their day, Don't count em out in the finals.
They don't play finals at Etihad though.

They won't face you in a GF, how can you say with such confidence only Geelong and GWS are contenders and you'll win it by 20 goals?

Your club isn't that far ahead of everyone else. You're simply not. Geelong in 07 had Ablett, Johnson, Bartel, Corey, Ottens, Chapman, Enright, Ling, Scarlett, Mackie, Mooney, and Hunt. The Geelong 2016 is NOTHING like the 2007 outfit. The game is also so different to that of 9 years ago.

I don't doubt you're a big chance, but calls like yours are ridiculous.

Again, not disagreeing with the overall sentiment of your post - I sure as s**t don't think we've got it in the bag. I'd be happy to make a prelim for the time being. But why do people keep saying 'your team in 2007 had this player and this player and this player?"

Only Scarlett and Ottens - who did it at Richmond - had ever been All Australian before that season (aside from King, who was only a bit-player in the flag win). Those guys WEREN'T STARS before 2007. Nine of them from memory made the AA side that year (Corey, Scarlett, Enright, Harley, Ling, Ablett, Bartel, Mooney and Johnson I think) for the precise reason that right there and then, it clicked, and they became stars. Personally I don't think we have quite as good a potential group as what we did, but geez players like Guthrie, Blicavs, Motlop and Caddy are starting to look like they belong in high company.

This phrase keeps being thrown about. It's simply false. The premiership contenders this year are becoming very obvious and to be honest it became obvious two weeks ago. As long as these teams have a reasonable run with injury, and they don't need hawthorn like luck with injuries at finals time but just the normal luck of grand final participants, then this years grand final will most likely be:

GWS vs Geelong

The only team that can upset this result without amazing Carlton 99 like luck is Nth Melbourne. But it's unlikely.

Both the GWS and Cats can go a level above everyone else in terms of ball movement and defence and are simply more talented then everyone else. This premiership race is the least open since 2011 as we haven't had two teams clearly above the rest of the competition since then.

Hawks have lost three key players and replaced them with no one and their ageing players are starting to fall away, albeit very gradually. Roughead back will help but he ain't the difference. They may make the prelims but will need one hell of a magic rabbit to pull off a win barring a spate of injuries to their opponents. The Swans simply aren't good enough in defence and are a bit slow. Other then Nth, the Bulldogs have a very slim chance but their defence is also probably too weak to seriously challenge.

Ridicule this thread as always happen. -But it will be bumped on grand final week and during the season as you all eventually come to the same realisation of how it will play out.

Yeah, I have a feeling that might happen too.

Still their gsmeplan translates well to the G anyone who says otherwise is an idiot IMO.
A lot of running on a smaller ground such as Etihad or SCG is fine, but they will burn out quickly on the bigger grounds such as the MCG

If Dangerfield gets injured, Geelong's season will go down the drain.

He is literally the reason they are 7-1, nothing else.

The Cats are nowhere near a genuine premiership threat, they won't even make it past the Semi Finals imho.

GWS on the other hand... they're a very dangerous outfit.

Somehow your post is worse than the OPs.

1 player makes no difference, that's what we've been told all off-season.

Plus apparently Dangerfield was terrible on Friday night, and Geelong beat supposed contenders Adelaide on their deck.

Up by 7 goals and took the foot of the gas.
Giants bet you everywhere.

+ 48 disposals
+ 7 tackles
+ 13 clearances
+ 22 contested possessions
+ 8 inside 50s
+ 13 hitouts
+ 6 marks
- 5 contested marks
- 7 clangers

Yep, Geelong were shithouse, they tend to be a bit down after beating Hawthorn.

That was Rd 2, in Canberra - the result will be reversed at Kardinia in a few weeks.

Up by 7 goals and took the foot of the gas.
Giants bet you everywhere.

**stats**
Thanks Professor. Basically what happened was that Mumford took control of the ruck, ironed out Duncan (who admittedly was having a dog of a day) and just dominated clearances. Hopefully one of Stanley or Smith will be able to break even with him next time, but I wouldn't read too much into a Round 2 interstate trip on a six-day break the week after Hawthorn.

To address the original assertion: the Premiership Race *is* wide open, because I there that there are four sides in this with a genuinely strong shot at winning it. Obviously Geelong is one contender, and so are Sydney, Hawthorn, and possibly the Dogs IMO.

Regarding GWS, I'd like to see them beat good sides away from NSW/ACT first. In 2016 they read as losing to Melbourne, beating St.Kilda and beating Fremantle - not an imposing record. Adelaide then Geelong away in succession should shed more light on their standing.

Sydney's defence is a bit suspect, but their midfield is probably the best going around since ours in 2007. They haven't gone brilliantly in the last three weeks, admittedly, and probably need a top-two spot to secure the home final in order to threaten.

Hawthorn will be a different side with Hodge, Roughead and Schoenmakers in, Roughead in particular. Sicily and Gunston are both good players, but neither are the size required to really haul in the big marks or straighten a side up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cocaine.jpg

had to laugh at dogs defence too weak, ah pretty sure we're the number 1 defensive side in the comp. Getting it done back there at the moment without 3 of our first choice defenders in Murphy, Johannisen and Suckling. Missing Adams today too.
Write us off though - we love being the underdog.

Again, not disagreeing with the overall sentiment of your post - I sure as s**t don't think we've got it in the bag. I'd be happy to make a prelim for the time being. But why do people keep saying 'your team in 2007 had this player and this player and this player?"

Only Scarlett and Ottens - who did it at Richmond - had ever been All Australian before that season (aside from King, who was only a bit-player in the flag win). Those guys WEREN'T STARS before 2007. Nine of them from memory made the AA side that year (Corey, Scarlett, Enright, Harley, Ling, Ablett, Bartel, Mooney and Johnson I think) for the precise reason that right there and then, it clicked, and they became stars. Personally I don't think we have quite as good a potential group as what we did, but geez players like Guthrie, Blicavs, Motlop and Caddy are starting to look like they belong in high company.
You make a good point. But that Geelong side built a dynasty of success. Finals every year from 07-14. 3 flags, one GF, 2 Prelims, 1 semi and 1 elimination final. If the current Geelong side cab give you another 7 years like the last, you'd be happy. My point is it is big shoes to fill, and whilst this group is good, it's yet to be seen how good.

had to laugh at dogs defence too weak, ah pretty sure we're the number 1 defensive side in the comp. Getting it done back there at the moment without 3 of our first choice defenders in Murphy, Johannisen and Suckling. Missing Adams today too.
2nd. We are first, that's why we're the best team in the comp.

When you came up against half decent teams you completely s**t the bed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back