Tasmania The Pros And Cons Of A Tasmanian AFL Team

Remove this Banner Ad

A thought I had about a Tas team...

Currently most of the funding for Hawthorn/North is from the government (in various forms), and they supposedly do that to attract tourism and generate economic activity.

If there was a Tas team, why would the government still pay such a sponsorship/subsidy(etc)? because the tourism and economic activity would be happening regardless.

If Tasmania entered they would have one of the most fanatical supporter bases in the league imo.

Bought this the other day. Interesting to see how far Tasmania's standing in Australian football has fallen. They deserve a team.
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 1.53.31 pm.png

If Tasmania entered they would have one of the most fanatical supporter bases in the league imo.

Bought this the other day. Interesting to see how far Tasmania's standing in Australian football has fallen. They deserve a team.

Why?

Preferably not but if a Victorian club were to become a liability then yes.

I think Tasmania has a large enough population (inc expats).

As an expansion, I agree.

Sorry about the initial question...I'm getting too used to people around here who claim to want a Tas team, but seem a lot more interested in having an excuse to kill off a Vic club (or two, or...)

Sorry about the initial question...I'm getting too used to people around here who claim to want a Tas team, but seem a lot more interested in having an excuse to kill off a Vic club (or two, or...)
I don't want to kill off vic clubs except when they are minnows that are preventing regions/clubs that historically deserve a team or new markets that the AFL should be investing in. London has 20 million people and has 6 EPL clubs. Melbourne has 4.5 and has 10.

I don't want to kill off vic clubs except when they are minnows that are preventing regions/clubs that historically deserve a team or new markets that the AFL should be investing in.

I find it hard to justify using sentiment to give a club to a state/region while simultaneously ignoring sentiment to kill off a club.

It's also practically impossible for the Commission to kill off a club.

Yeh, I guess I know what you mean.:rolleyes:

I get sick of people who say they support having a Tasmanian team & then make up any old excuse against it happening. Even ignoring the blatantly obvious structural imbalances in the competition.

Also ignoring the decades of failures & poor performances of some clubs, despite the salary cap, player draft & AFL handouts. How can some clubs be so pathetic for so long???

This is true. Madmug might diss the choice to create GWS & GC ahead of a Tas team, but he only ever wants Vic clubs to be killed off (seemingly he wants that a lot more than he wants a Tas team, but to each their own).

Do I?

Ive never said to kill off a club. I also dont like transplanting clubs, nor FIFO bludgers either. Clubs go from Amateur A to B each year, why not AFL to VFL? Williamstown, Port, Werribee are doing ok in that league. Playing more games locally would be an attraction I would think.

I've said for years that in an 18 team AFL, their is no excuse nor reason not to have a Tasmanian team in it. The economics adds up. Unfortunately people with tin foil hats have ignored the facts & applied their own ignorant biased view so wont see the reasoned argument, nor the common sense for a national competition.

How can Perth with 45% of the population of Melbourne have only 2 clubs? That is an obvious structural imbalance. But the tin foil brigade will refuse to see the reality.

The AFL behaves in a manner that is too insular, too parochial & too provincial to be viewed as a proper national sports organisation. However Cricket Australia, for instance, is far more advanced in their thinking as a national sports organisation

Yeh, I guess I know what you mean.:rolleyes:

I get sick of people who say they support having a Tasmanian team & then make up any old excuse against it happening. Even ignoring the blatantly obvious structural imbalances in the competition.

Also ignoring the decades of failures & poor performances of some clubs, despite the salary cap, player draft & AFL handouts. How can some clubs be so pathetic for so long???

Love how you quoted a post where I started what I said with "As an expansion club, I agree".

So clearly you're not talking about me, right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do I?

Ive never said to kill off a club. I also dont like transplanting clubs, nor FIFO bludgers either. Clubs go from Amateur A to B each year, why not AFL to VFL? Williamstown, Port, Werribee are doing ok in that league. Playing more games locally would be an attraction I would think.

Well, if that doesn't matter, then surely a Tasmanian team could play in the VFL and it'd all be fine and they could be promoted when they were a raging success, right?

I've said for years that in an 18 team AFL, their is no excuse nor reason not to have a Tasmanian team in it. The economics adds up.

Really? You have independent source for that? Last word from the AFL was that it didn't...

Unfortunately people with tin foil hats have ignored the facts & applied their own ignorant biased view so wont see the reasoned argument, nor the common sense for a national competition.

Or they're just waiting for facts...(really, if you ever presented ANY facts, I'd be shocked).

How can Perth with 45% of the population of Melbourne have only 2 clubs? That is an obvious structural imbalance. But the tin foil brigade will refuse to see the reality.

and yet when people talk about Tasmania's population you say it's not relevant....Just another double standard you apply...like how you use a whole state for Tas, but only individual cities for other states.

The AFL behaves in a manner that is too insular, too parochial & too provincial to be viewed as a proper national sports organisation. However Cricket Australia, for instance, is far more advanced in their thinking as a national sports organisation

Really? In 30 Years, the state based VFL went from 12 clubs in 1 state to 18 clubs across 5, including having 2 fewer in the original state. What has Cricket Australia done that even comes close to comparing to that, even though it was national from the start?

edited because I missed a /

Last edited:
Well, if that doesn't matter, then surely a Tasmanian team could play in the VFL and it'd all be fine and they could be promoted when they were a raging success, right?

Really? You have independent source for that? Last word from the AFL was that it didn't...

Or they're just waiting for facts...(really, if you ever presented ANY facts, I'd be shocked).

and yet when people talk about Tasmania's population you say it's not relevant....Just another double standard you apply...like how you use a whole state for Tas, but only individual cities for other states.

Really? In 30 Years, the state based VFL went from 12 clubs in 1 state to 18 clubs across 5, including having 2 fewer in the original state. What has Cricket Australia done that even comes close to comparing to that, even though it was national from the start?

edited because I missed a /

Selective quotation is a particular strength of yours. It works when you have nothing to add.

I would still ask how the AFL justify having 2 in Perth as against the messy mass of the beggar bowl clubs in Melbourne.

(PS the actual answer clearly is not 'economics' it's 'politics' ):rolleyes:

(I think you actually know this, but the pangs of the old VFL must still run very strong. )

Selective quotation is a particular strength of yours. It works when you have nothing to add.

I would still ask how the AFL justify having 2 in Perth as against the messy mass of the beggar bowl clubs in Melbourne.

(PS the actual answer clearly is not 'economics' it's 'politics' ):rolleyes:

(I think you actually know this, but the pangs of the old VFL must still run very strong. )

What did I selectively quote? Unlike you, I answering most of the post...

I do note however that you've given up on a Tas team, and you're back to your main agenda of killing off Vic teams. (unless you want to explain how you can kill off these 'beggar bowl' clubs and add a new bowl down in Tas).

Remember...My solution to this imbalance, as stated many times, is to use Tas as a baseline and add clubs there and elsewhere accordingly...

So WA is about 5 times Tas, so WA should, in time, have 5 teams. (Vic is actually 11 or 12 times Tas, but I'll settled for 10).

Your solution is to remove the clubs at the bottom, raising the base level for having a club higher than Tas can reach....and yet you claim that you're in favor of a Tas team while I'm against one :rolleyes:

What did I selectively quote? Unlike you, I answering most of the post...

I do note however that you've given up on a Tas team, and you're back to your main agenda of killing off Vic teams. (unless you want to explain how you can kill off these 'beggar bowl' clubs and add a new bowl down in Tas).

Remember...My solution to this imbalance, as stated many times, is to use Tas as a baseline and add clubs there and elsewhere accordingly...

So WA is about 5 times Tas, so WA should, in time, have 5 teams. (Vic is actually 11 or 12 times Tas, but I'll settled for 10).

Your solution is to remove the clubs at the bottom, raising the base level for having a club higher than Tas can reach....and yet you claim that you're in favor of a Tas team while I'm against one :rolleyes:

'Should', 'In time'

That gives one confidence, not.

Politics determines the AFL direction, not economics.

'Should', 'In time'

That gives one confidence, not.

Should, because that's my opinion on what SHOULD happen...I can hardly say 'will' about something I have no control over, and in time because adding another 5 teams isn't something that can be done overnight. ( Kwality would have a heart attack about the effect on the talent pool for one).

Politics determines the AFL direction, not economics.

You must be the only person who thinks the AFL doesn't care about money.

Well, if that doesn't matter, then surely a Tasmanian team could play in the VFL and it'd all be fine and they could be promoted when they were a raging success./

Its called VFL. Lets just keep it that way. Somehow it makes sense to play Victorian suburban teams in it

Your solution is to remove the clubs at the bottom, raising the base level for having a club higher than Tas can reach....and yet you claim that you're in favor of a Tas team while I'm against one :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Again. Your biased self serving opinion.

And what l've said is bloody obvious. The same old clubs fail despite the draft, salary cap & AFL handouts. How do they manage to fail for decades? 10 clubs in one place is stupid. Brainless & uneconomic. But thats footy politics for you.

But aren't the reasons they fail going to be the exact same challenges that a Tassie team would face?

New Zealand next in line for a team according to Gil today.

And what l've said is bloody obvious. The same old clubs fail despite the draft, salary cap & AFL handouts. How do they manage to fail for decades? 10 clubs in one place is stupid. Brainless & uneconomic. But thats footy politics for you.

and why would a Tasmanian team do any better?

Oh yeah, I know the answer there 'just because', right? and you'll point to a report that says what the politicians who commissioned it wanted it to say, while dismissing the comments from such uninformed sources at the AFL CEO as ill informed and 'politics'.

Right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back