Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

IQ apparently has had a minor procedure on his hip. Read also that Moore injured a finger in a drill with Cox.
the hip operation was prior to christmas I believe. (playing in VFL game tomorrow) as for Moore, I did see him have a discussion with a trainer pointing to his hand, but otherwise seemed fine.

Friday March 6th. Estimated start of training: 9:30AM.

Players not in attendance: Greenwood, Dunn (was seen a bit later), Langdon.

* Appleby got a round of applauds when it was announced he was now free to join the boys in full training.
*Varcoe and Broomhead did lots of running. About two hours worth, pretty intensive. They won't be too far off main training themselves, I'd say a couple more weeks. But good signs.

Initially I thought they were going to be doing the beep test today, as I saw the way the cones were set up, and I saw this speaker near a box that looked like the device they use for it. But nothing happened, so I was wrong.

After the warm up, they did some match sim, split into blacks and whites. The blacks definitely were the more stronger side.
Will Kelly playing forward. Did some nice things, and there was this passage of play where you could see the ball was going straight to Moore, but then here comes Kelly and intercepts it from nowhere.

Just 5 days after his injury, Adam Treloar comes out on the ground and starts running. Definitely a good sign. He did have his leg strapped though, but not unusual.

After the match sim, All the ones in white except a couple (Wills, T.Brown) went inside, and here I thought -- this must be the group playing on sunday. Bucks later told my friend they were rounding the team to 24 players for this weekend's game -- makes sense, slowly rounding it for 22 for round 1.

Bucks also said Reid was fine. Will be playing next week in the intraclub match.

* A real interesting scene was seeing Will Kelly take on Mark Keane. A bit of pushing and shoving. My friend was like... "You don't want to take on an Irish." lol

The remaining players did rotational stuff. Centre clearance work, goal kicking and the defenders did their own thing at the other end of the ground.

The vibe was very good. Getting a lot more vocal now we're this close to the season.

Thanks Jen (or should I say Gem!)

Just on Broomy, could you gauge how he moved? As in will he be mobile enough at the top level after his broken leg? Thoughts?

The Enemy here, forgive the intrusion. Have just started working at the Holden Centre, won't go into too many creepy details about the coffee orders of the players but did get a chance to watch the end part of the Pies training and figured could share a bit.

Saw the second last drill, focused on entering the forward 50, sometimes from a stoppage and sometimes from a bomb out of defence seemingly chosen at random by the coaches.

Cox the massive focus in this, coaches seem to be pointing at him a lot and he was easily the most prominent figure in the drill. Watching training it's really evident how built around him the forward line has become. Works very very hard not just to lead but to transition the leads into blocks for smaller forwards. His running patterns even to an untrained eye seem remarkably obvious, which honestly seems like a good thing - he doesn't have the unpredictability of a Jack Riewoldt or Buddy but his teammates know exactly what he'll do each time and it's not like figuring those patterns out would make him that much easier to stop as a defender. You'd love him as a mid or small forward.

Only token pressure being put on by defensive team. That being said, an assistant coach switches onto Cox and absolutely hammers him after he takes a mark - prepping for defenders scragging him?

Skills look super clean. Ball only hit the deck once I saw - Cox was perfectly positioned to go for it but backtracked and lead into the goalsquare, seems instructed not to go for ground balls. *Sorry for the Cox focus only he was very noticeable in the drill*

Last drill was fairly casual centre clearance work. Jamie Elliot the go-to mid for most taps and it starts to seem like they're trialling the plan B mid team in leading roles, Cox as lead ruck instead of Grundy who is out there not doing much. Lots and lots of discussion between each throwup and seems like players are doing more of the talking than coaches.

Stephenson moving well but starts joining the group curling bananas from the boundary - Sidebottom and a few other key mids doing this as well whilst midfield drill is going on.

Hoskin Elliot leaves training early, rest of the players wind down and kick around a bit before heading in.

Not sure how much any of that gives you guys but happy to try and answer questions, only saw a bit of training and don't know the players outside your best 22 that well.
Thanks for that!

Thanks Jen (or should I say Gem!)

Just on Broomy, could you gauge how he moved? As in will he be mobile enough at the top level after his broken leg? Thoughts?
Lets just say, he is moving like he was pre broken leg. Running at an high speed.Definitely miles over from when he first came back from the injury.

At this point I’m Cameron > Cox for round 1. Cox has done okay things but he’s been in the game for a while now and hasn’t really stepped it up. They need to stop giving him so many chances, he’s not doing anything for us. Should play VFL for a bit and really fight to get back in. Cameron should get a real go, we could be missing out on something great if they don’t.

What's the story with Max Lynch? Is he injured/not training? Apart from his good performance in the first time trial, I can't remember his name mentioned in any reports. No mention of him in either the match v Sandringham or St Kilda on the weekend. The invisible man??

What's the story with Max Lynch? Is he injured/not training? Apart from his good performance in the first time trial, I can't remember his name mentioned in any reports. No mention of him in either the match v Sandringham or St Kilda on the weekend. The invisible man??
Played well in the vfl game. He did this special goal. It was like a soccer goal, around the corner of his body and slammed right through the goals. Took some nice marks as well.

Played well in the vfl game. He did this special goal. It was like a soccer goal, around the corner of his body and slammed right through the goals. Took some nice marks as well.
Many thanks for the reply Jen. Good news that he played well. He seems to have slipped into the background with Cox and Cameron taking most of the focus.

Many thanks for the reply Jen. Good news that he played well. He seems to have slipped into the background with Cox and Cameron taking most of the focus.
I guess because he the more younger/developing of the three, he gets less focus. But hoping a big year for the big boy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that’s his lot.

He‘s obviously not taking the Grundy spot, and seems that Cameron is ahead too, so he’s the third string back up.

Might be hard pressed to get a senior game.

Is that on Friday? The fact it's only 5 days after the Marsh game makes me think it's more likely your standard training. Assuming you'll be there, or is that too mainstream? 😂
Heh. I'll be there. Yup, it's on Friday. It'll be their main session.

Friday 13 March, 2020
6.30pm kick-off*
Olympic Park Oval, Holden Centre Olympic Blvd Melbourne
Entry is FREE

Start your weekend right and come along to cheer on the AFL players as they hit the track, under the Olympic Park Precinct lights.

Dinner, drinks and gelati are sorted with a variety of on-site food trucks such as Berty & Co, Crewburger, Sorbebberia Buonissimo and the Glasshouse Eatery.

There will be lots of awesome activities around the ground suitable for all ages and all fans. You’ll be able to get your face painted with black and white stripes, play with Australian wildlife at the zoo enclosure, create your own footy trading card and much more, like:

• An autograph from your favourite player**
  • Get your hands on awesome giveaways around the ground
  • Face painting station
  • Pat Australian Wildlife at the The Roo Keeper Enclosure
  • Create your own Footy Trading Card thanks to La Trobe Financial
  • Meet the Magpie Mascots Jock and Maggie
  • Enjoy live entertainment from the sweet sounds of DJ Nige
  • Collingwood’s Antique Roadshow
  • Collingwood Membership Hub
  • Collingwood Official Club Shop

How is Trey Ruscoe tracking (try saying that quickly)? Haven’t seen or heard much of him of late.
He’s at least got his photo up on the main club website.

Though he’s a missing face on the mobile phone using website.

a bit like his pre-season, all a bit elusive to find.

Worrying signs for Darcy Moore with an update on his finger injury. Looks to be wrapped up with a massive woolly bandage.

The sheep to follow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back