Social Science Things that please me - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice hockey. o_O

You goin to Canada or something.

Hey it's not at the Docklands place my cousins play in a league there...
that's exactly where it is

something different anyway, her suggestion, not mine

geelong supporter too.... :oops:

This judge.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-judge-trades-insults-with-defendant-in-court
Judge Patricia Lynch QC was sentencing John Hennigan at Chelmsford crown court for his ninth breach of an antisocial behaviour order in 11 years when the exchange took place.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...hn-hennigan-exchange-insults-chelmsford-court

Lynch’s withering comments came when Hennigan, 50, told her she was “a bit of a campaigner”, to which she retorted: “You are a bit of a campaigner yourself. Being offensive to me does not help.”

After Hennigan shouted back “Go * yourself”, she replied: “You too.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they though?? There are so many more options now- when I was at school circa mid 1990s all you did was VCE. Now there's VCAL, you can do a mix of high school days and go to TAFE, trades "taster" courses, certificates, VET subjects, etc. If a student isnt suited, cant cope or just doesnt want to do VCE then they shouldn't do VCE.
The options are available but where I was there were a whole bunch of kids trying to achieve ridiculous things in VCE because their parents had pushed them and the teachers didn't do a lot about it to sway them. So many people I know that are currently going to uni I'm just stunned at. As someone who did well at school I have my issues with uni, and have found motivating myself to learn independently an issue. These uni students wouldn't even have a quarter of the interest I had in school. It's not like they have any clear goal in mind for employment either.

The options are available but where I was there were a whole bunch of kids trying to achieve ridiculous things in VCE because their parents had pushed them and the teachers didn't do a lot about it to sway them. So many people I know that are currently going to uni I'm just stunned at. As someone who did well at school I have my issues with uni, and have found motivating myself to learn independently an issue. These uni students wouldn't even have a quarter of the interest I had in school. It's not like they have any clear goal in mind for employment either.

Yeah that's true- and it obviously depends on the school and the area. Parents can be the biggest campaigners sometimes. I remember one kid in Year 11, many years ago now, with quite severe learning difficulties (for our mainstream school anyway)- we got him out to this program each Wednesday to TAFE. The kid loved it- up until the dad ****ed everything up, pulled him out of the program and demanded he do "regular" subjects. Only prob was the only ones available at a particular time were VCE Physics, Chem or Legal ffs. We put him in Legal and I was timetabled in every class to help him (which suited me I love that subject and I got to go on excursion to court) but it was a complete, utter waste of his time. Parents can just be in complete denial tho..

In primary school, I was so far ahead of everyone else, teachers had to give me different work to keep me interested. There was one subject in Year 7 where the teacher said "create your own maths quiz because everything I give you, you find easy". Mum and Dad tried to accelerate me a year level, to no avail due to school policy.

It was more challenging once I got to high school, and by Year 12, I was on a similar level to most students.

I thrived on being challenged and if I wasn't challenged, I wouldn't complete the work because I didn't deem it important.

My school reports throughout school said that I was a gifted student; intelligent, witty, athletically proficient and popular with my peers. However my teachers lamented that I questioned authority, always wanted things done on my terms, constantly argued with teachers regarding normative standards in educational processes, and emphasised that I could be very stubborn and steadfast with regards to my opinions, which could be problematic in the future.

F*cking pricks, the lot of them.

...OMG you ARE me.

I 'skipped' a few years (Kinder -> Prep/1 -> Grade 3), not because I was brilliant at everything, but I was "school smart". Apart from a short period in Grade 6 (awesome teacher, run out of school for setting work outside "curriculum") I found school incredibly tedious, simple and outright boring. I was always the top student (except in later high school in English), but then in grade 12 I reached the point that I could no longer just "turn up" and excel. I cruised through college, but uni was a real eye-opener, actually failing a subject. I still don't truly know how to "learn" properly. In a way, I almost wish I 'peaked' younger - many of my friends had issues in Grade 8-10, but learned the skills required to get through Uni then, when there was less at stake, and FAR more assistance.

I eventually went into teaching, and realised what the PC comments REALLY meant. It was certainly interesting reading over my own reports with a "teacher's" eye.

My two favourite comments (for different reasons) were:

(Boring self-congratulatory bit)
Grade 5 - As noted at the commencement of this school year, I was reluctant for Simon to join grade 6. Simon is almost three years younger than his classmates, and whilst he is able to complete work at the level expected, I maintain my concern for his poor emotional development. Simon is inconsistent in his approach to classwork, providing regular disruption to class and defiance in the classroom. Despite this, Simon has excelled in some activities, approaching some tasks in an enthusiastic manner. Simon regularly holds our Reading and Math trophies, though has found our exploratory unit into Poetry particularly difficult. English is the building block of curriculum, and until Simon applies himself in this area appropriately, he will struggle to complete high school.

Simon holds very strong opinions and conveys his thoughts to all clearly, participating in vigorous debates with his peers, older students, members of faculty and senior staff. Simon has ongoing issues with acceptance of teacher authority and shows an inability to take direction. If this attitude is not corrected, then it is clear he will never amount to anything. I have recommended to the education board that all four boys who previously accelerated be invited to repeat grade 4.

Grade 6 - Simon is an enthusiastic and committed member of class who provides strong leadership to his peers. He excels in all areas of school life, especially in areas of reading, writing, and Arithmetic and participates in extension classes in Mathematics, Science and English. Simon also performed admirably in our joint-schools pilot program Future Studies, representing the school with distinction.

This year we have continued to focus on developing consistency in Simon's effort, as he struggles to commit himself fully to whole-class activities, completing tasks substantially ahead of schedule - leading to boredom, peer distraction and class disruption. Simon is a brilliant student who thinks deeply and often understands concepts at a level far beyond his peers. Simon needs to understand his peers do not comprehend new information at the same rate and we have encouraged Simon to take on fewer roles of leadership, allowing his peers time to produce their own work.

This term we are continuing our focus on the development of Simon's ability to reflect and revise his own pieces, and to encourage and celebrate the work of his peers. I note that Simon is substantially younger than his peers, and believe that his emotional maturity will continue to develop over the coming years. I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and opportunity presented in teaching Simon and I look forward to seeing him fulfil his potential in whatever future endeavour he chooses.

Going dfo early, getting good car park, finding the s**t I need, getting the **** outta there just as it gets busy. And boots $70 marked down frm $199

Got to love the sales
No decent DFO here but the daughter picked up a dress from Kookai marked down to $36 from $150

Got to love the sales
No decent DFO here but the daughter picked up a dress from Kookai marked down to $36 from $150

Yeah was pretty good. Could have done some serious damage in Portmans (25% off everything) but just settled for a skirt at $25.

Cfm boots?

No. Only thing I wanted couldn't find, see shits me thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back