Things that please me - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I bought a jeep :)

No no, I bought a robot :) A robot vac.

I was vacuuming one hot humid day, pushing the damned thing from room to room, my back hurt, and I thought, I'm not doing this anymore. And what do you know - Aldi were selling robots that very week!

Still getting used to it but on its first two runs it collected a shameful amount of dust and grit from the carpets :$:$:$ Put my old stick to shame.

My robot vacuum cleaner is one of the best thing I've ever bought. I hate vacuuming, having a machine with a remote control to do it for me rules.

The only problem, as you're finding, is the pretty small storage area for what's been vacuumed up. They require a lot of emptying.

You guys might be surprised, I wasn't sure how my dog would go with the robot vacuum, but after the first time I used it she realised that it wasn't playing back and it didn't smell like a dog, and she lost interest in it.

this may come across as a bit "tin foil hat"ish, but just be a bit careful with robot vacs. their security is a bit lacking usually, and they're an easy way for a hacker to get inside your house - particularly if your vac has video and audio

source - at cybercon last year, one of the guest speakers did an hour and a half talk on robot vacuums and their lack of security which was pretty insightful

this may come across as a bit "tin foil hat"ish, but just be a bit careful with robot vacs. their security is a bit lacking usually, and they're an easy way for a hacker to get inside your house - particularly if your vac has video and audio

source - at cybercon last year, one of the guest speakers did an hour and a half talk on robot vacuums and their lack of security which was pretty insightful

1710727355383.png

I haven't connected it to my wifi, although its "connect me" light keeps flashing. I don't wish to control it remotely. I set it going in the lounge, it's learning its way around and now does the whole room in 10-15 minutes. Then I empty it, return it to the dock and recharge. Another day I'll put it in the bedrooms, same result. I don't let it roam the house as I have tiled areas that I can easily do with broom and mop (although it has a floor-wash facility) and it would all take too long.

As a non-human spin on automation, you could probably do a satirical cartoon of a snobby old-timer guide dog looking distrustful of a chirpy eager curious puppy-esque robovac who dreams of wider outdoors adventures.

Last edited:
sorted out my tenants issue with the agent and the bad tenant has left, signed the forms and replaced with a new tenant.
my tenants were super grateful and invited me around for dinner last night where i met them all and they are amazing people.
hopefully they stay for as long as they want and i want them to

sorted out my tenants issue with the agent and the bad tenant has left, signed the forms and replaced with a new tenant.
my tenants were super grateful and invited me around for dinner last night where i met them all and they are amazing people.
hopefully they stay for as long as they want and i want them to
Do you know how long they had been looking? Were there a lot of applications?

Do you know how long they had been looking? Were there a lot of applications?
it was a group of people and one couple left and replaced with another single person

the existing tenants are all friends and the 'bad' couple, well was actually a 'bad' male partner within the couple, was causing issues.
so they have left and another close friend, single who needed a new place by this weekend, jumped right in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it was a group of people and one couple left and replaced with another single person

the existing tenants are all friends and the 'bad' couple, well was actually a 'bad' male partner within the couple, was causing issues.
so they have left and another close friend, single who needed a new place by this weekend, jumped right in
Billy Ray this sounds like prime reality tv material

Billy Ray this sounds like prime reality tv material
yeh the drama apparently was sky high
thankfully i was able to coach the tenants on some persuasive approaches which worked
the real estate agents are farken useless - might can them and manage myself and save the 8%, just need to check my insurance if a private arrangement (but still with signed forms and bond lodged with RTA etc) changes by too much.

yeh the drama apparently was sky high
thankfully i was able to coach the tenants on some persuasive approaches which worked
the real estate agents are farken useless - might can them and manage myself and save the 8%, just need to check my insurance if a private arrangement (but still with signed forms and bond lodged with RTA etc) changes by too much.
The tenant whispers coming to 9 Go next month

Car got ‘broken into’ last night (my dumbass forgot to lock it, which is crazy for me as I triple check doors are locked on a daily).

The nice robber didn’t take anything as he didn’t like my jumpers, shoes or prescription sunnies that were in the car and even turned the interior light off before half closing the door, meaning I didn’t wake up to a flat battery!

Weird feeling seeing the door only half latched this morning and opening it to find a blood test form and random receipts on the passenger seat and the centre console and glovebox open.

Car got ‘broken into’ last night (my dumbass forgot to lock it, which is crazy for me as I triple check doors are locked on a daily).

The nice robber didn’t take anything as he didn’t like my jumpers, shoes or prescription sunnies that were in the car and even turned the interior light off before half closing the door, meaning I didn’t wake up to a flat battery!

Weird feeling seeing the door only half latched this morning and opening it to find a blood test form and random receipts on the passenger seat and the centre console and glovebox open.
My car lives in a garage but I reckon if it had to be parked in the driveway or street I would be super paranoid these days.

Which reminds me of a funny story. About 15 or so years ago our next door neighbours were renters. One morning there was a knock at our front door and it was the neighbour. He asked, “Did you hear anything in the street last night?” As our bedroom was at the back we said no.

Turned out his SUV, parked in the street, had had ALL its wheels removed during the night and was now sitting on blocks of wood 🤪.

We didn’t think it was random - the neighbour must have upset someone or owed them money!

This goes back about a decade, had a neighbour who had their work vehicle broken into almost weekly on a Friday or Saturday night over about a month

It was the only vehicle touched, and all that the thieves would get was a few dollars in the console, but it obviously cost a lot to have the broken window repeatedly replaced

They ended up leaving their car unlocked, and maybe even the window slightly open, so that if it was going to be "broken" into, at least their was one less cost - the thieves stopped coming back after that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back