Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he had been doing just enough to hold his spot. But just enough probably isn't good enough when we have a relatively full strength list.

I reckon Bucks is probably doing similar with him that he did with Smith and Ramsay though. Both were rested for one week, didn't play VFL and came straight back in. Wouldn't be surprised if Broomhead does similar. Given his injury history and the heavy load over the past fortnight, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a week off.

I think he can become quite a good player. I think we need to give him as many games in 2017 as possible and make a decision on him though. He has been ok so far this year, but just hasn't had that break out game yet.

Yea we keep using the same excuses for him

Now he's 23 and stuck in the VFL. For someone with supposedly bucket loads of talent it doesn't add up... It's not like we're an elite side to break into.
Settle down. One game =/= 'stuck in the VFL'. For all we know he could kill it this week and be back for GWS. It's not like he's been playing bad footy.

Settle down. One game =/= 'stuck in the VFL'. For all we know he could kill it this week and be back for GWS. It's not like he's been playing bad footy.

Yeah he definitely hasn't been dropped for poor form. It's just that he hasn't cemented his spot and De Goey just offers a bit more in terms of his attack on the footy.

I'd say Broomhead is about the 24th player on the list right now, which is actually a fair improvement considering I had him around 30-35 pre-season. He also hasn't ever had a good run with it injury wise, so it might take him a while to find his feet.

Yeah he definitely hasn't been dropped for poor form.

I'd say that he has been dropped on form.

Compare the club's language around Shade ("managed") with the language around Broomhead ("omitted")

I'd say that he has been dropped on form.

Compare the club's language around Shade ("managed") with the language around Broomhead ("omitted")
You can be omitted without being in poor form. In this case, JDG is simply a superior option, but it's hard to argue that Broomy has actually been poor, because he hasn't. This week it's just a case of someone making way, and Broomhead was the logical choice because he plays the same role as JDG.

You can be omitted without being in poor form. In this case, JDG is simply a superior option, but it's hard to argue that Broomy has actually been poor, because he hasn't. This week it's just a case of someone making way, and Broomhead was the logical choice because he plays the same role as JDG.

Yep, we're not disagreeing with each other.

'Form' is a relative thing.

It would help Broomheads case in situations like this if he had strung together some consistent football over his time at the pies, and had some credits in the bank.

People seem to forget he isnt a kid anymore (in terms of footballing age) at 23 and is yet to really earn a consistent spot in the senior side. He constantly makes way for younger players who are frankly better footballers than him.

Don't share this boards optimism around Broomy, this year needed to be his year...

It would help Broomheads case in situations like this if he had strung together some consistent football over his time at the pies, and had some credits in the bank.

People seem to forget he isnt a kid anymore (in terms of footballing age) at 23 and is yet to really earn a consistent spot in the senior side. He constantly makes way for younger players who are frankly better footballers than him.

Don't share this boards optimism around Broomy, this year needed to be his year...

he isn't a kid, but you need to factor in that he has had a really bad run with injuries and has never had a consistent run at it.

So I think we can cut him some slack. He isn't just going to come out and dominate after 4 years of injury problems. He needs to firstly gain some confidence in his body (to take knocks on the injured shoulder in particular) and secondly he needs to get match fitness.

This is a big year for him, and so far I think he has gone ok. I'd say he is about on par as to what expectations would have been for him pre-season...if not a bit ahead considering not many had him in the best 22 pre-season. So he has broken into the team and held his spot for over a month.

He just needs continuity with his body more than anything. I reckon he is the sort of player that could just explode. He clearly is capable at the top level, he just hasn't shown an ability to play at the level consistently.

I'm still optimistic.

Great post DaVe86. He has most definitely shown some promise this year. The more game time he gets whether in the VFL or AFL he will most definitely improve and get match hardened.

Do you ever get tired of making up stuff to suit your narrative? This is the first time I can remember in Broomhead's time at the pies where he's 'made way' for a younger player, who happens to be a former pick 5. Happy to be corrected if you can point out any other instances of this happening, but I'll bet my left nut you can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Persist with him and I think he will persist and build to become a fine contributor.
Drop him in and out of the team (or injuries) he's just not going to reach his potential.
The good thing is, I think Buckley and the club see this in him.
Annnnnnnnd he's been dropped

Yea we keep using the same excuses for him

Now he's 23 and stuck in the VFL. For someone with supposedly bucket loads of talent it doesn't add up... It's not like we're an elite side to break into.

It's hardly an excuse. Extremely difficult to cement a place when you're injured. At a minimum, he needs to play for that to occur.

Broomy has shown some improvement this year so is unlucky. That's what happens when you have depth. Correct call as I think he is outside our best 22. De Goey has far greater potential and after his enforced lay off and 3 solid VFL games has to come in. Could have been Phillips or Broomy out but I think Broomy was the right call.

Issue being that it's in an area we already have good depth in whereas Broomy offers something different, something we've been crying out for... classy outside run and carry. I actually think Wells has taken his spot but I think Broomy should be playing as well as we need to preparing for the longer term. I'd have left out Phillips. I think Broomy's better pace, skills, class, and capacity to go into the midfield have him ahead of Phillips.

I'm with Kirby in terms of his physicality, but for a different reason. He's clearly struggling with confidence in his shoulder much the same as Ablett when he first returned. At the first sign of contact he pulls back on it like he's been scolded with a hot poker. That'll come with time though unlike WHE who I'm starting to think is actually allergic to physical contact.

My only other knock on his game right now is his propensity to handball. The only guy better at spotting up in the team, IMO, is Wells (Pendles on the same level), but he's only kicking it with every third possession. It's not good enough and he'd know all about it!

Seriously though I couldn't help chuckling when reading the comments about him flashing in and out of games. What do people expect? He had an interrupted pre-season and plays a role which has always seen players drift in game. I think we should just be glad he's playing and judge him on his 2018 when he next comes out of contract. That'll give us the clearest indication of how much he wants it.

We've seen at VFL level that the kid can be brave in his attack on the footy but it's a good point you make given the majority of his injuries have been contact injuries doing just that.

Issue being that it's in an area we already have good depth in whereas Broomy offers something different, something we've been crying out for... classy outside run and carry. I actually think Wells has taken his spot but I think Broomy should be playing as well as we need to preparing for the longer term. I'd have left out Phillips. I think Broomy's better pace, skills, class, and capacity to go into the midfield have him ahead of Phillips.
Agree its between those 2. Broomy or Phillips. De Goey has to be in. Phillips is lucky but i suppose you would say Broomy was also lucky if he had been picked. Can mount a case for both.

he isn't a kid, but you need to factor in that he has had a really bad run with injuries and has never had a consistent run at it.

So I think we can cut him some slack. He isn't just going to come out and dominate after 4 years of injury problems. He needs to firstly gain some confidence in his body (to take knocks on the injured shoulder in particular) and secondly he needs to get match fitness.

This is a big year for him, and so far I think he has gone ok. I'd say he is about on par as to what expectations would have been for him pre-season...if not a bit ahead considering not many had him in the best 22 pre-season. So he has broken into the team and held his spot for over a month.

He just needs continuity with his body more than anything. I reckon he is the sort of player that could just explode. He clearly is capable at the top level, he just hasn't shown an ability to play at the level consistently.

I'm still optimistic.
For most players, i agree, the fact that they have been out with injury or are carrying an injury does need to be taken into consideration when evaluating their output. However, there are a few players in every team whom are so injury prone that it actually needs to just be considered part of who they are as a player.

Players in our team that fit that bill are Ben Reid and Daniel Wells, both fantastic players who have a tendency to miss games through injury. At what point do we need to just acknowledge its just what you get with these blokes? I get that Broomhead has had injuries, but he was drafted in 2012 and to date the games he has played in a season are 0, 0, 8, 11, 2 and this season has been his most consistent with 5. Not only that, but the injuries are all over the place, its not one reoccurring injury like some of these other blokes.

This board loves Broomhead, i get that, but compare him to a bloke who is 3 years younger in Crocker or 2 years younger in Aish. These are young blokes who have shown they can perform at AFL level, and who are being held out of the side and their development being hindered by Broomhead, a bloke who has never been able to get through more than half a season uninjured. If we gave Croker 3 years, and Aish 2 years, and they were dishing up what Broomhead dishes up, the same people lauding Broomhead would be asking for Delistings and Trades.

It seems like an odd investment to make. I mean people on this board are legit calling for Broomhead to be picked over Phillips because it would be better for his development. Phillips is 19 years old for christ sake, how does that make sense??

If Phillips has another average game and Broomy kills it in the VFL this week we could very easily see the two swap places for GWS.
Phillips is 19, Broomhead is 23. Let's stop thinking short term and start looking to the future. Getting games into Phillips is significantly more important than Broomhead, a bloke who can't stay on the park for more than half the year without getting injured.

Phillips is 19, Broomhead is 23. Let's stop thinking short term and start looking to the future. Getting games into Phillips is significantly more important than Broomhead, a bloke who can't stay on the park for more than half the year without getting injured.
No it isn't. As you said, Phillips is only 19 he has plenty of time. Broomhead is at the point where he needs to establish himself, and he deserves to have that chance now he's injury free. Classy users of the ball are exactly what we've been crying out for over the last few years and that's what Broomhead is. And please, short term? At 23 Broomy still has 7-10 good years in him if he can establish himself. That's not even close to being short term.

Agreed. I've been on this board for 11 years and in that time there has never been a player we fans have made more excuses for than this guy.

For all our complaints of coaches having favourites everyone here seems to think Broomhead should have a golden ticket into the best 22 whenever fit, despite continually producing average performances.

The problem is he doesn't have any weapons. He looks like he does, or should have some, but he never uses them.
I've heard he has great foot skills - but I've never seen him doing anything so wonderful by foot.
I'm told he has electric pace - well if so he's never used it to his advantage in a game.

No one would be happier than me if he managed to turn it around, but to answer the question upthread - If pick 20 was offered for him now I would sign that deal so fast. Realistically I'd be surprised if we were offered anything inside pick 60 for him. He would not be on any other teams radar at all unfortunately.
Great post. You sum up exactly how i feel about him.

I want to love him and want him to succeed. I just haven't seen anything more than minor glimpses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back