Tom Jones at the Grand Final?

Remove this Banner Ad

for crying out loud, it isn't about the 'star' but about the stars..

I don't have any other ideas other than make sure it's a good song or two and the sound resonates around the ground.

It is about the music and the words and the history or the ability of the singer/s to connect...

I don't mind Tom and he has a great voice and I don't get this idea that it has to be Aussie all the time, just the best performer with the relevant song list and well the "loaf" tore it all apart with the chewy so anything less disgusting than that has to be good.

For mine the only people who can appreciate the singer are at the ground and the rest of us just wait for the game to start.

Timberlake and Kanye are with Live Nation Entertainment, Robbie, Bob and Biffy Clyro are with Chugg Entertainment. Don't believe that Gudinski has his fingers in these company's so you can cross them off.
These are the artist he has on or coming up on tour http://www.frontiertouring.com/tours
Robbie Williams would be awesome.

There was a rumour on twitter a few months ago that he had been booked by the NRL, his second last concert is in Sydney the same day as the AFL GF so was probably no chance anyway.
The NRL are not worthy of Robbie.

Need someone that is a good mix of upbeat music and has fun/is an entertainer. For all the circle jerking about "homegrown" talen Bird's of Tokyo failed miserably, Jet in 2007 were thoroughly average. Mark Seymour will probably be wheeled out again for the Holy Grail (I don't mind this but I'm old school)

Lionel Richie was pretty good. Something in that vain, rock/pop, pop/rock, fun music.

CGAF

Never watch any of the performers except for Mike Brady last year because it was not long before the start and at least he sings footy songs.
I prefer to be soaking up the atmosphere outside the ground or getting a pie or taking a piss.
These performers who have nothing to do with football just cheapen the whole thing.

Why aren't there any cheerleaders in footy? I would definitely watch a bunch of hot chicks in skimpy outfits dancing around on stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AC/DC. It's that simple. People from overseas will watch just for that.

None of this Dame Edna/Meatloaf/Tom Jones BS.

AC/DC every year until they die. Pay them a packet every year. It will pay for itself.

Im not really a big fan, but I appreciate the massive impact a small aussie band had all over the world, and it would suit the day and our unique game.

It really is baffling the AFL can get it so wrong EVERY BLOODY YEAR.

Actually maybe its not. 80s Jocks are choosing the music after all. No surprises at all really.

They say they want to grow the game, but they consistently fall flat in this area every year and become a laughing stock.

I want the world to see our game, but then they dish up utter crap from 20 years behind the times every year. Says a lot about who is in charge.

Poor form all round. What a joke.

*facepalmcringe

Last edited:
This bloke was before my time, but God, can this man sing! As a lover of music from the 60s you have to see the "This Is TOM Jones" classic DVD as a entree to see how good he was (still is) - bloke is an absolute dynamo - huge voice and also has the moves: as James Brown would say - "...like a sex machine..."! Classic album cover - "A-Tom-ic Jones" - listen to it amongst so many other absolute classic albums like "Tom Jones Live At The Talk Of The Town". Also, gotta love the tight flared pants, frilly shirts, big gold belts and buckets of sweat.:D He's 74 and has mellowed but is an absolute legend!

This bloke was before my time, but God, can this man sing! As a lover of music from the 60s you have to see the "This Is TOM Jones" classic DVD as a entree to see how good he was (still is) - bloke is an absolute dynamo - huge voice and also has the moves: as James Brown would say - "...like a sex machine..."! Classic album cover - "A-Tom-ic Jones" - listen to it amongst so many other absolute classic albums like "Tom Jones Live At The Talk Of The Town". Also, gotta love the tight flared pants, frilly shirts, big gold belts and buckets of sweat.:D He's 74 and has mellowed but is an absolute legend!
Yes a legend, yes he has an amazing voice.....but for a footy grand final?? I dont see him bringing the energy a GF crowd wants or needs.

/my2cents

Terrible live and he's almost 80 years old.

Not sure how OP thinks this will be good.

Best act I've ever seen live - seen him six times (US, UK and Melbourne); I've seen Cold Chisel, AC DC, Springsteen, Rod Stewart, Buble, Stones, Michael Jackson, Pink, Timberlake, and many others. He is getting on now - but really, the consumate performer and a better (powerful) voice than anyone else I've seen live.

AC/DC. It's that simple. People from overseas will watch just for that.

None of this Dame Edna/Meatloaf/Tom Jones BS.

AC/DC every year until they die. Pay them a packet every year. It will pay for itself.

Im not really a big fan, but I appreciate the massive impact a small aussie band had all over the world, and it would suit the day and our unique game.

It really is baffling the AFL can get it so wrong EVERY BLOODY YEAR.

Actually maybe its not. 80s Jocks are choosing the music after all. No surprises at all really.

They say they want to grow the game, but they consistently fall flat in this area every year and become a laughing stock.

I want the world to see our game, but then they dish up utter crap from 20 years behind the times every year. Says a lot about who is in charge.

Poor form all round. What a joke.

*facepalmcringe

Apparently they did make an offer to AC/DC one year, the 3 mil they offered had Acca Dacca's management falling off their chairs chortling.

Apparently they did make an offer to AC/DC one year, the 3 mil they offered had Acca Dacca's management falling off their chairs chortling.

Yep, AC/DC basically don't want to be another half time gig band, so they have deliberately priced themselves out of the market

BTW - in terms of s**t bands to bring in, you Gen Y posers have no friggen idea

Any fool can find a bad pop artist. You have to crank it up a notch

You get one of the best ball-busting rock songs the world has ever known, and get it covered by the musical equivalent of a Libra Fleur

Speaking of shocking covers - found this one while looking for Celine (you know this would get the MCC boys pumping)

Jokes aside, one group who do stadium gigs and the half time thing well were the originals of that song (yes I know its not the original - but I have always loved this version)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back