Player Watch Tom Langdon (Retired 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a little curious that a Collingwood poster seems so ready to be down on a Magpie who has had such bad injury luck. The top 10 B&F criticism is incorrect.

Harsh. The only way Langdon ends up off a list is because of chronic injury stopping him. He is clearly a highly ranked AFL player when fit. Shaz has had even worse luck but for mine in the short time they were up and about together in 2018 they had a synergy that suggested they could team together and compliment each other. Injuries have cruelled both careers

That does Langdons career no justice.

Six season and three largely written off by injury. 2016, 2017 and 2019.

The other 3 seasons read well and watching them you knew you were seeing a class player

Season 1 2014- Debut, 19 games, Collingwood best first year player. Under 22 AA selection

Season 2 2015 - 22 games, 6th in Copeland (Pendles, Swan, Crisp, Adams, Sidebottom ahead of him). Selected again in the AFL players U22 AA.

Season 5 2018 23 games, solid season after coming back from injury then stellar finals series

“One good season of footy” is an incorrect and unnecessary slight.
Just to add, even in the write off years 2017 and 2019, he played half a season or thereabouts of good footy in each of those years.

It’s a little curious that a Collingwood poster seems so ready to be down on a Magpie who has had such bad injury luck. The top 10 B&F criticism is incorrect.

Harsh. The only way Langdon ends up off a list is because of chronic injury stopping him. He is clearly a highly ranked AFL player when fit. Shaz has had even worse luck but for mine in the short time they were up and about together in 2018 they had a synergy that suggested they could team together and compliment each other. Injuries have cruelled both careers

That does Langdons career no justice.

Six season and three largely written off by injury. 2016, 2017 and 2019.

The other 3 seasons read well and watching them you knew you were seeing a class player

Season 1 2014- Debut, 19 games, Collingwood best first year player. Under 22 AA selection

Season 2 2015 - 22 games, 6th in Copeland (Pendles, Swan, Crisp, Adams, Sidebottom ahead of him). Selected again in the AFL players U22 AA.

Season 5 2018 23 games, solid season after coming back from injury then stellar finals series

“One good season of footy” is an incorrect and unnecessary slight.

Pardon? I’m absolutely down on my fellow posters underrating others. Mine is not a story of what Tom can’t do, but rather what others can. In this case I mentioned JT who has been completely forgotten for his brilliant 2018 whereas people are falling over themselves at Langdon’s deeds (separate to the injury).

How is a frank assessment of his prospects harsh? A person suffers a workplace accident that could potentially render them unable to perform their duties so do we just not acknowledge it?

So what if they read well? 2014 and 2015 were years where we were a horrible reflection of a football club. Langdon in those years played as a loose tall on his terms so it’s little wonder the numbers reflected well. I’ve also acknowledged his good form in 2018.

Given the extreme reaction you’ve taken I almost have to wonder if you were the one that administered the fateful jab all those years back... All I’ve done is state that he’s not in the best 10 players at the club, provided support for it and now I’ve got veiled comments about my support as a response. Check your privilege!

I just really rate Langers. His play reading and closing speed give us a huge amount of outnumber situations. Second half of 2017 through to first half of 2019 was 2 really solid years of footy from him. Hopefully we get to see some more of the same in the future.

I can appreciate how much you rate him and it’s what makes this discussion pointless because you’re invested in it emotionally whereas I’m not.

I think your final sentence sums the discussion up nicely. I likewise hope we get to see the best of him again because we’ll be better for it, but if the best we have is hope then it says a lot for where he stands amongst our group...

Last edited:
Pardon? I’m absolutely down on my fellow posters underrating others. Mine is not a story of what Tom can’t do, but rather what others can. In this case I mentioned JT who has been completely forgotten for his brilliant 2018 whereas people are falling over themselves at Langdon’s deeds (separate to the injury).
Sco I don't see fellow posters underrating other Pies. There is discussion around Shaz and Langdon which seems pretty balanced. As far as i can see you are the only one who has bought JT into the Langdon thread. JT's efforts since coming back have been great. Still he wouldnt be in my discussion of top 10 players on the list. Not sure who are the other players posters are underrating

How is a frank assessment of his prospects harsh? A person suffers a workplace accident that could potentially render them unable to perform their duties so do we just not acknowledge it?

So what if they read well? 2014 and 2015 were years where we were a horrible reflection of a football club. Langdon in those years played as a loose tall on his terms so it’s little wonder the numbers reflected well. I’ve also acknowledged his good form in 2018.
Not sure where you see posters ignoring Langdons injury and the major doubt that exists on him getting back to full AFL footy. Seems to me many have expressed that concern.

My view stands that you are wrong to characterise Langdon as having only one good season of footy. That we were poor in 2014-5 doesn't preclude a kid coming into the club and having an impact. If anything it's harder for a youngster in a first season to stand up if senior players are struggling around him.

You were clearly wrong when you said at "least JT has a top 10 B&F finish" when Langdon finished 6th in his second season. Langdons 2014-5 were excellent seasons to start a career.

Reading the recent pages here all I see is posters in the main recognising Langdon for what he is a good AFL player with potential to be better and lamenting the idea that he probably wont get the chance to prove that. At his best I agree with you he is not quite in the best 10 currently but he is not far off and having him in the conversation is reasonable

You have just gone a bit hard on him and not given a fair assessment of his career to date IMHO. I don't see the mythology you are seeing here.

Sco I don't see fellow posters underrating other Pies. There is discussion around Shaz and Langdon which seems pretty balanced. As far as i can see you are the only one who has bought JT into the Langdon thread. JT's efforts since coming back have been great. Still he wouldnt be in my discussion of top 10 players on the list. Not sure who are the other players posters are underrating

Not sure where you see posters ignoring Langdons injury and the major doubt that exists on him getting back to full AFL footy. Seems to me many have expressed that concern.

My view stands that you are wrong to characterise Langdon as having only one good season of footy. That we were poor in 2014-5 doesn't preclude a kid coming into the club and having an impact. If anything it's harder for a youngster in a first season to stand up if senior players are struggling around him.

You were clearly wrong when you said at "least JT has a top 10 B&F finish" when Langdon finished 6th in his second season. Langdons 2014-5 were excellent seasons to start a career.

Reading the recent pages here all I see is posters in the main recognising Langdon for what he is a good AFL player with potential to be better and lamenting the idea that he probably wont get the chance to prove that. At his best I agree with you he is not quite in the best 10 currently but he is not far off and having him in the conversation is reasonable

You have just gone a bit hard on him and not given a fair assessment of his career to date IMHO

I’m not sure what you were trying to get out of this discussion, but to ultimately agree with me and make the points you have is a waste of both our time.

I’m not sure what you were trying to get out of this discussion, but to ultimately agree with me and make the points you have is a waste of both our time.
Simply that your assessment of Langdon was wrong. Despite your claims he has had a top 10 B&F finish and he has clearly had more that just one good season in 2018. All his full seasons 14,15 and 18 were good, it would be hard for anyone to dispute that.

Also just to clarify I am largely disagreeing with your opinions on Langdon.

Last edited:
I just really rate Langers. His play reading and closing speed give us a huge amount of outnumber situations. Second half of 2017 through to first half of 2019 was 2 really solid years of footy from him. Hopefully we get to see some more of the same in the future.

Agree. Had an indifferent start to 2018 when rushed back after preseason injury issues but had found his groove 1/2 a dozen rounds into the season and never looked back.

I also rate his 2014-15 seasons. Looked completely at home after debuting R1 2014 and went on to earn a RS nomination in 2014 and a spot in the U22 AA team across both those seasons. Stevo the only player of recent years to earn a very early season debut and have as good a first 2 seasons (suspension aside).

Agree. Had an indifferent start to 2018 when rushed back after preseason injury issues but had found his groove 1/2 a dozen rounds into the season and never looked back.

I also rate his 2014-15 seasons. Looked completely at home after debuting R1 2014 and went on to earn a RS nomination in 2014 and a spot in the U22 AA team across both those seasons. Stevo the only player of recent years to earn a very early season debut and have as good a first 2 seasons (suspension aside).
Agreed, and even the more meritorious when you consider their respective draft picks.

Last edited:
I think Langdon's infamy is sky-rocketing on the back of his absence.

His second half of 2018 was good, with quite an exceptional finals series.

Wouldn't say much of his earlier work was of any real quality. But based on his form in the first month of last year, he'd no doubt be a useful addition 2020 and beyond.

I think Langdon's infamy is sky-rocketing on the back of his absence.

His second half of 2018 was good, with quite an exceptional finals series.

Wouldn't say much of his earlier work was of any real quality. But based on his form in the first month of last year, he'd no doubt be a useful addition 2020 and beyond.
Not necesary skyrocketing due to absence making the heart grow fonder. Langdon is one who us supporters have always rated very differently. I would have had him top 10 in the club before his injury last year and Maynard is the only one who I think may have pushed up from behind him. Thus I still would rate him about the same. My view will almost certainly change assuming he misses all of 2020, but without knowing anything about his injury, I sill rate him in the same range. Having said that 2020 obviously isn't looking good for Tom.

I don't care much for the sentiment of this thread really. If there are better options than Langdon out there then that would be great for the club. If Langdon proved himself the better option then that would be great also.
So why can't we just say "there are many options available and who ever turns out to be the best gets the gig. I reckon it will be so and so because he etc..."

Not necesary skyrocketing due to absence making the heart grow fonder. Langdon is one who us supporters have always rated very differently. I would have had him top 10 in the club before his injury last year and Maynard is the only one who I think may have pushed up from behind him. Thus I still would rate him about the same. My view will almost certainly change assuming he misses all of 2020, but without knowing anything about his injury, I sill rate him in the same range. Having said that 2020 obviously isn't looking good for Tom.

Personally, I don't bother with ranking players but as I said at the outset of this discussion, his form prior to his most recent injury must have had him in the discussion for I'd assume a healthy proportion of supporters for a top 10 spot. That there's ebb and flow in those rankings due to form or injury doesn't cancel the achievement of getting to that level. Hopefully there's more performance of that kind in his future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are right 3 yrs...wow.
This in hindsight is another that didn't go to plan.

this is different to the other contracts that have blown up in our face

tbh it would free up cap and with players like Murphy, Keane coming through, it’s not the end of the world.

Lets not jump the gun yet. He says it is a cartilage issue, but it isn't bone on bone.

Well he missed more then a Year and only just stared a Possible Comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back