Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL in the Mitchell thread on the Hawks board they're talking him up as a future brownlow medallist.
Did you know that Tom Mitchell across his career to date averages as many Brownlow votes per game as Adam Goodes?

Did you know that Tom Mitchell across his career to date averages as many Brownlow votes per game as Adam Goodes?

A Brownlow isn't beyond him, but they've purchased mid paced extractor with average disposal, albeit a very good one.

He hasn't got Sam Mitchell's precise kicking, Lenny Hayes evasiveness, or Swanny's deceptive line breaking pace, I just thought it amusing that they are so uneducated

Wish we still had Mitchell

I have to say about half way through last year when the talk was that Mitchell was on the outer and the Swans were setting on Kennedy, Jack, Hannebery and Parker I was very happy and very hopeful that the rumours of us being in to him was great.

Mitchell is a terrier and never blinks, but Parker has a long history of going missing in hard games. I always thought Mitchell was only behind Kennedy when it mattered.

And we saw it in the 2016 GF.

I have to say about half way through last year when the talk was that Mitchell was on the outer and the Swans were setting on Kennedy, Jack, Hannebery and Parker I was very happy and very hopeful that the rumours of us being in to him was great.

Mitchell is a terrier and never blinks, but Parker has a long history of going missing in hard games. I always thought Mitchell was only behind Kennedy when it mattered.

And we saw it in the 2016 GF.

Two things!

1) Tom Mitchell chose to leave..............even though he said he wanted to stay!
2) Tom Mitchell is now a Hawk...............even though he said he wanted to stay a Swan!
3) We wanted Tom Mitchell to stay.........even though he wanted to go!
4) Tom Mitchell wanted to be a Hawk......even though he said he loved being a Swan!

Sort of make sense?

Basically if Tom loved the Swans so much & wanted success, then he should have stayed at the club that took him under the father/son & paid him overs for his first contract, then his big pay day would have come when he was 26 & in his next contract, much as Josh Kennedy has along with Hanners etc.
At 23 years old, he has been on better money at the Swans then pretty much any other player at such a young age.
Oh!
and
5)Tom & Barry grabbed the money & ran! Can't blame them for doing so!

But don't anyone blame the club for holding firm!

The only regret I feel about Mitchell leaving was getting sweet * all back from Hawthorn in the trade.

Handy player, but Mitchell playing wouldn't change our season.

Two things!

1) Tom Mitchell chose to leave..............even though he said he wanted to stay!
2) Tom Mitchell is now a Hawk...............even though he said he wanted to stay a Swan!
4) Tom Mitchell wanted to be a Hawk......even though he said he loved being a Swan!

Sort of make sense?

Basically if Tom loved the Swans so much & wanted success, then he should have stayed at the club that took him under the father/son & paid him overs for his first contract, then his big pay day would have come when he was 26 & in his next contract, much as Josh Kennedy has along with Hanners etc.
At 23 years old, he has been on better money at the Swans then pretty much any other player at such a young age.
Oh!
and

Mitchell was told to take a massive pay cut. Im sure if your boss said to you "please stay, we want you, but we have to halve your salary" then youd be thinking you werent really wanted.

But this thread is about Parker. Who has been given more money. And who pops up in big Swans wins but is generally missing in close games and losses.

Which is the point behind the thread. And a fair one too.

Two things!

Sort of make sense?

Oh!
and

Longmire didn't want him

Would you like not to be wanted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell was told to take a massive pay cut. Im sure if your boss said to you "please stay, we want you, but we have to halve your salary" then youd be thinking you werent really wanted.

But this thread is about Parker. Who has been given more money. And who pops up in big Swans wins but is generally missing in close games and losses.

Which is the point behind the thread. And a fair one too.

Mitchell is a fine player but will never be an outstanding player. Too many weaknesses. Speed is crap. Kicking skills are crap. Height. No team tags him because he can't hurt you. We have Kennedy, Hanners, jones and ultimately Heeney and Mills. Not a massive loss IMO.

Disappointed with Parker and Jack too. Living on past glory

Mitchell is a fine player but will never be an outstanding player. Too many weaknesses. Speed is crap. Kicking skills are crap. Height. No team tags him because he can't hurt you. We have Kennedy, Hanners, jones and ultimately Heeney and Mills. Not a massive loss IMO.

Disappointed with Parker and Jack too. Living on past glory

Mitchell sure looks fine this year as one of the games leading players

Two things!

Sort of make sense?

Oh!
and

Mitchell asked to take a pay cut while his fellow mids who couldnt perform as well in the biggest game of the season got paid lets not re write history'

You can argue sydney did not need him

But this idea he is money hungry is BS and you know it, he was offered unders

Can't have them all.

JPK as the #1 mid has been better for us than Mitchell has been as the #1 mid for the Hawks.

We could easily have mitchell and all the other mids we have

Didnt need to give jack 3 years
Give tippett big dollars and an extension
Get sinclair for 400k
Etc

We made our choices

We could easily have mitchell and all the other mids we have

Didnt need to give jack 3 years
Give tippett big dollars and an extension
Get sinclair for 400k
Etc

We made our choices

Our choice was: big dollars for Mitchell in 2016 signing

Or,

Extend JPK in 2016 to 2020
Extend Lloyd in 2016 to 2018
Extend Heeney in 2016 to 2022
Extend Towers in 2016 to 2018
Extend Hewett in 2016 to 2018
Extend Mills in 2017 to 2023
Extend Jack in 2017 to 2018

Um...prob missed a few but you get the drift.

All that plus juggling the cap to allow for Jones, Reid and another half dozen this year as well.

Mitchell was not worth ending up out of the running for 4 or 5 required players.

Plus he was clearly being a nit of a dick head about staying via his management while plsyers like Lloyd and Heeney and Hanners the year before couldn't be happier to sign.

Or,

All that plus juggling the cap to allow for Jones, Reid and another half dozen this year as well.

Mitchell was not worth ending up out of the running for 4 or 5 required players.

Plus he was clearly being a nit of a dick head about staying via his management while plsyers like Lloyd and Heeney and Hanners the year before couldn't be happier to sign.

I dunno if you bag longmire the arguement is you are not inside the club, so how does everyone on here know how mitchells negotiations went down?

But i highlighted Jack, there is an easy one dont pay him, keep mitchell.

Trade tippett. Find a way

Hannebery kennedy mitchell parker made a good unit, parker was a better player in that quartet, in fact they all went well together, i would of made that my priority and i said it at the time, yes easy to sit here and say it now

Just a shame now parker is suffering because he is a good player, just has a reputation that is bigger than his output

Or,

Geez, one player would have cost us the ability to sign all those? Buddy would have been jealous of his salary.

I daresay even losing, say, Jack, Towers, Hewett and Reid would be a pretty fair price to pay to keep Mitchell.

I dunno if you bag longmire the arguement is you are not inside the club, so how does everyone on here know how mitchells negotiations went down?

But i highlighted Jack, there is an easy one dont pay him, keep mitchell.

Trade tippett. Find a way

Hannebery kennedy mitchell parker made a good unit, parker was a better player in that quartet, in fact they all went well together, i would of made that my priority and i said it at the time, yes easy to sit here and say it now

Just a shame now parker is suffering because he is a good player, just has a reputation that is bigger than his output

I actually thought Parker started finding form before last night. Lloyd, Jones, Cunners and Newman were all chippong in.

Cunners gets injured. A rookie comes in to zero effect. Lloyd goes down. Jones and Newman spendcmore time back to help. And the Hawks had enough mids to cover our mids. And zap. Our mids collapse and Parker has a roast thread in his name (harsh in my mind)

I agree he works best when the whole midfield is dominating.

As for Mitchell, I'm like you. I try not to read too much into the negotiations. But it was easy to see the difference with Mitchell. His manager was talking directly to the media - using it to fan the flames of a competitive offer as he knew there were clubs who wanted his client (and maybe he had even come to in principle terms with the Hawks by June).

We know the hawks went down a 700k+ route for Titch. Some say 840k. No way Mitchell gets that from us.

By comparison Joey's/Hanners/Kizzas/Mills'/Heeney's discussions barely even made the news as management worked with the club in good faith behind the scenes.

Just an outsider's view.

Geez, one player would have cost us the ability to sign all those? Buddy would have been jealous of his salary.

I daresay even losing, say, Jack, Towers, Hewett and Reid would be a pretty fair price to pay to keep Mitchell.

I think it was more the club had JPK, Heeney and Mills in their sights. Gave Mitchell an offer that accomodated tnose three and he walked.

I actually thought Parker started finding form before last night. Lloyd, Jones, Cunners and Newman were all chippong in.

Cunners gets injured. A rookie comes in to zero effect. Lloyd goes down. Jones and Newman spendcmore time back to help. And the Hawks had enough mids to cover our mids. And zap. Our mids collapse and Parker has a roast thread in his name (harsh in my mind)

I agree he works best when the whole midfield is dominating.

As for Mitchell, I'm like you. I try not to read too much into the negotiations. But it was easy to see the difference with Mitchell. His manager was talking directly to the media - using it to fan the flames of a competitive offer as he knew there were clubs who wanted his client (and maybe he had even come to in principle terms with the Hawks by June).

We know the hawks went down a 700k+ route for Titch. Some say 840k. No way Mitchell gets that from us.

By comparison Joey's/Hanners/Kizzas/Mills'/Heeney's discussions barely even made the news as management worked with the club in good faith behind the scenes.

Just an outsider's view.

all fair points, I see where you are coming from, we got side tracked with the Mitchell s**t anyway, just find it fascinating some suddenly dont rate a guy because he left.

But on Parker, he was finding some form, but then he is always good when the side is good, which sounds a bit stupid, but I dont feel like how say Kennedy, or Hannebery in form, Franklin etc can lift and be obviously good when we are getting done, is something Parker ever does. I think he is the cream on top when we play well.

He is not getting forward and taking those contested marks and hitting the scoreboard like he did last year either, he can play a lot better than he has overall in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back