Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Mitchell asked to take a pay cut while his fellow mids who couldnt perform as well in the biggest game of the season got paid lets not re write history'

You can argue sydney did not need him

But this idea he is money hungry is BS and you know it, he was offered unders

I said "Tom & Barry grabbed the money & ran! Can't blame them for doing so!"
You're the one suggesting they're money hungry. They were both offered it & they took it & ran.

We didn't need him! No argument!

I said "Tom & Barry grabbed the money & ran! Can't blame them for doing so!"
You're the one suggesting they're money hungry. They were both offered it & they took it & ran.

We didn't need him! No argument!

theres an argument, but wrong thread, Sorry if you feel I twisted your words

theres an argument, but wrong thread, Sorry if you feel I twisted your words

I would have been happy as a supporter if we gave Tom the money but upset if we lost Parker. Ultimately the player to blame for all this is Buddy! I don't get the personal attacks on Tippett because they weren't forthcoming when we got his signature as well as an 11 week ban!
Tippett was signed first & Buddy second. It's mindless getting all emotional about how much Tippo is on & the commentary on him in the media is misinformed.

People that discuss things hypothetically & get all emotional about it need to get realistic. You can't undo the deals & get Buddy first. That is that!
So let's discuss what we know (not necessarily you King) without getting all emotional & depressed about where we are at.

So what do we actually have?
We have Tippett & Buddy. We have a young Heeney, Mills, Hewitt, Melican, Hayward, Florent, etc, etc & we can also strike & bring some other needs to our team.
Now I feel the one we MAY give up to get someone else we want will be Reid. I don't think Sam Reid has much upside in our team anymore. I'd like to keep him but I believe we've been moving the pieces to get players in to positions we are lacking in going forward.

No Punts!
Not Dusty or Fyfe but a mid tier player.

Mitchell asked to take a pay cut while his fellow mids who couldnt perform as well in the biggest game of the season got paid lets not re write history'

You can argue sydney did not need him

But this idea he is money hungry is BS and you know it, he was offered unders
We paid him considerable overs for his first two contracts against what he delivered, I don't dispute that our last offer was more than likely below his worth but to say he hasn't been driven by money, aka 'money hungry' since he was initially drafted is BS and you know it.

We paid him considerable overs for his first two contracts against what he delivered, I don't dispute that our last offer was more than likely below his worth but to say he hasn't been driven by money, aka 'money hungry' since he was initially drafted is BS and you know it.

How much was he paid when he was in Sydney?

It's a well known fact that Geelong players took unders to stay at the club "they were happy at & wanted to play for"!

Hawthorn players also took unders to stay at the club "they were happy at & wanted to play for"!

It just so happens that now Tom Mitchell has taken overs to leave a club "he was happy at & wanted to play for!

The Swans have done the right thing in keeping Parker ahead of Mitchell, irrespective of whoever WE may think is the better player.

It's a well known fact that Geelong players took unders to stay at the club "they were happy at & wanted to play for"!

Hawthorn players also took unders to stay at the club "they were happy at & wanted to play for"!

It just so happens that now Tom Mitchell has taken overs to leave a club "he was happy at & wanted to play for!

The Swans have done the right thing in keeping Parker ahead of Mitchell, irrespective of whoever WE may think is the better player.

it was never an actual choice between the two, thread got side tracked and i apologise for my part in it

as you say we have to deal with whom we have

Right now wether we agree on parkers ceiling is one thing, but whatever you think it is I suspect very few think in 2017 he is near his best

it was never an actual choice between the two, thread got side tracked and i apologise for my part in it

as you say we have to deal with whom we have

Right now wether we agree on parkers ceiling is one thing, but whatever you think it is I suspect very few think in 2017 he is near his best
No need to apologise as we all have a go, myself especially, of taking a thread elsewhere.

Yeah! We have what we have & must deal with it. Parker is sore. He has a negating role last night because he obviously went in sore. He's tough mate & though not at his best, is capable of things the next bloke that replaces him isn't xapable of. Take BJ for example.
Dawson just may be the next one. Newman is finding his feet. Last week was too easy for him but last night he learned a hell of a lot more playing against the Hawks. Last week just blew our heads up & that first quarter made it show, though losing Lloyd totally threw the rest of the players into different roles. Don't underestimate Lloyd's ability to be everywhere on the ground & not having him out there for pretty much the whole game.
Take Burgoyne out in the first minute.
We're playing a different Hawthorn suddenly then take Gunston out at half time. The Hawks lose by 40 points, such is the fine balance in teams structures & the personel out there to follow the game plan.

It is why what Macca did against North was terrific after doing his hammy. He played a critical role while injured in that he needed to be watched by an opponent & allowed us a full set of rotations.

Mitchell is a fine player but will never be an outstanding player. Too many weaknesses. Speed is crap. Kicking skills are crap. Height. No team tags him because he can't hurt you. We have Kennedy, Hanners, jones and ultimately Heeney and Mills. Not a massive loss IMO.

Disappointed with Parker and Jack too. Living on past glory
Just so you know these are the exact reasons Sam Mitchell was overlooked in the draft. He worked on his deficiencies year after year.

Just so you know these are the exact reasons Sam Mitchell was overlooked in the draft. He worked on his deficiencies year after year.
How did he grow a few inches by working on it year after year. I'm asking ummm for a mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he grow a few inches by working on it year after year. I'm asking ummm for a mate
He just trained to be elite in other categories mate. Its the work ethic single mindedness and dilligence that made him a champion. Anyway i think i am derailing this thread because it is about Parker

You are right that collectively Geelong and Hawthorn (Brisbane too) took unders to keep a successful group together

But how do you seriously ask some Swans players to take unders while overpaying others

How does the conversation go, Tom we know you are better than Tippett but you need to get paid less than half his salary, because we asked Kurt to take a slight pay cut due to not living up to expectations and he told us to get stuffed as he had a contract

You are right that collectively Geelong and Hawthorn (Brisbane too) took unders to keep a successful group together

But how do you seriously ask some Swans players to take unders while overpaying others

How does the conversation go, Tom we know you are better than Tippett but you need to get paid less than half his salary, because we asked Kurt to take a slight pay cut due to not living up to expectations and he told us to get stuffed as he had a contract

I guess exactly the same way you paid Buddy a million while other Hawks took "unders" and then upped his offer to $1.2m back in 2013 while you were firmly in the window.

I guess exactly the same way you paid Buddy a million while other Hawks took "unders" and then upped his offer to $1.2m back in 2013 while you were firmly in the window.

Buddy was never paid $1 million at any year while at Hawthorn

We'd have never been able to keep the list together if we had

Buddy was never paid $1 million at any year while at Hawthorn

We'd have never been able to keep the list together if we had

Sure you would have. Everyone was taking unders right?

He was on $800k the last year of his contract at the Hawks. Then you offered him $1m. I thought it was a 4 year deal at 1.2m but it might have been a 5 year $5m deal. Either way the club already had him on Tippett money and were prepared to pay him $1m a season for 5 years.

Long story short, both clubs thought he was worth it. He was worth it to you and definitely worth it to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back