Past Tom Mitchell - AFL MVP, Dual AA Rover, B&F Winner, 2018 Brownlow Medallist - traded for pick 14 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

No of course I know they are drafted and come from all over. But after drafting their start is in neafl until they are afl ready unless you're a first rounder. Because we are habitually in finals (14 of last 15) our picks are lower but we still consistently convert our picks to high quality even from rookies.... especially from rookies. why? Do we have better coaches or list managers? Or is there something about neafl (other than it's lower standard or perhaps because of it) which does aid development? I don't understand it but would like to.

Perhaps the weaker neafl allows coaches to train a player to our system better than can in VFL?? Not having to worry about the competition per we. Perhaps it's the confidence boost from playing weaker opposition and being able to 'try' things

I remember when I first started playing grade soccer, id still play this amateur summer comp in the off season. It was crap standard and most games id score a hatrick........but I loved it. Id get a chance to convert using my whole bag of tricks in a game situation. It was also a massive confidence boost. I think there is something like that at work with neafl and our involvement.

I personally think it's the training and coaching, definitely not the comp. Of course you still have to put it on the park though!

Titch was regularly among our highest tacklers last year and from my observation worked bloody hard.

Have you noticed that we no longer have high tackle counts?
I think it is a distinct change in game plan as too many of our players were out of the contest after a tackle. Only subtle but a significant change none the less.
When we want to shut the game down as in the last 4 minutes the other night, we go into tackle mode.

I don't. Mitchell always deserved a fair pay deal. As for the charges of selfishness on the ground, made by Chunky, I didn't see it

Omg I remember one instance where the ball was bouncing toward opposition goal.....only two players in chase Tom and Rohan I seem recall and because Tom wanted the goal he accidentally spoiled Roban and we got a behind instead. Horse was furious in the coaches box. Expletives for a minute. Yep I believe he is a little selfish.

It's a little tiring this thread.
You don't need to be in it.

Just as others don't need to be in the "Towers for AA" thread or the "everyone on our list has star potential" thread

Can't be arsed researching so I hope someone else will do it for me. Is Mitchell the first ex-Swan to be named All Australian after leaving our club?

Edit: I meant in the Roos-Longmire era

Dempster in 2012.

Oh, and Hall in 2010

Can't be arsed researching so I hope someone else will do it for me. Is Mitchell the first ex-Swan to be named All Australian after leaving our club?

Edit: I meant in the Roos-Longmire era
Jetta may have been last year, I just can't find it documented

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jetta may have been last year, I just can't find it documented
Without looking it up I don't recall Jets being AA last year or any other for that matter. In fact to the best of my knowledge, it's only in the latter part of this season that he's cemented his place in the Eagles team let alone AA.

He's never been AA and struggled to stay in the Eagles senior side.
Without looking it up I don't recall Jets being AA last year or any other for that matter. In fact to the best of my knowledge, it's only in the latter part of this season that he's cemented his place in the Eagles team let alone AA.
latest

Congratulations, Tom Mitchell. Great year.

(If only this post was the end of the discussion :$)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back