Free Agency Tom Rockliff [signed with Port Adelaide]

Remove this Banner Ad

Where do you think Port are stagnating on the field in terms of ability? Is it depth perhaps? They seem to have very good starting points in all positions but it isn't translating into consistent footy for some reason. Does Gray need to play permanent midfield, or could someone like Rocky come in and be able to keep Gray up forward where he can be a game changer? Port have a real interesting list but it definitely needs a push.

The problems certainly don't lie in the back line, conceding the fewest points in 2017. You're also the third best scoring team in the comp (although aided by bashing up non-finals teams) Is it the midfield that lets the guard down?

I think we have a good all round balance around the ground but clearly lack a second forward as trengrove isnt the best option. Apart from that we have no glaring weaknesses, but with other teams always improving we need to as well.

Also feel we need 2 of Robbie grey in that he is so elite and a good ball use that we are so much better when he is in the midfield, if only we could clone him somehow. rockliff is just an upgrade on a Young/Sam gray in the team which allows chad and robbie to rotate more where we need them and he also is capable of kicking goals. Motlop is another option over say an amon and at his best could have a daniel wells type effect on the team as he is a good user of the ball, which is something we can improve on.

At the moment we need to go for it with the current list and age bracket so Free Agency is a good option. Reminds me of the Hardwick and Pickett recruitment when we won our premiership. Just the top up of experience to get the most out of the team.

Know a couple of inner sanctum types at Brisbane and they think he'll stay. Culture went from s**t and segregated under leppa to one big group under fagan. A few even had a look at the difference and said the group is polar opposite to what it is now. Rockcliff is a leader and a role model down at the club and that extra responsibility will be the difference. Big offer needed to change his mind in my opinion.
This is spot on Groin and I am not an inner sanctum type.

Not sure if Rocky is being a fan of being a tagger and not being on the ball as much under Fagan... Then again it could be injury related and Fagan has said to him he prefers him to be on the ball next year?
Rocky (and Beams) should have had a lengthy period on the side line due to shoulder injury. But we lack any midfield depth and Rocky (and Beams) has played the second half of the season nursing an injury to protect our kids from being thrown in the deep end.

We lost Mitch Robinson and Allen Christensen early, which resulted in McCluggage and Berry playing earlier than possibly expected. Losing Rocky and Beams would basically have meant starting Zorko and four 18/19 year olds.

Where do you think Port are stagnating on the field in terms of ability? Is it depth perhaps? They seem to have very good starting points in all positions but it isn't translating into consistent footy for some reason. Does Gray need to play permanent midfield, or could someone like Rocky come in and be able to keep Gray up forward where he can be a game changer? Port have a real interesting list but it definitely needs a push.

The problems certainly don't lie in the back line, conceding the fewest points in 2017. You're also the third best scoring team in the comp (although aided by bashing up non-finals teams) Is it the midfield that lets the guard down?

We are certainly looking at FA since we don't have a first round pick, unless Pittard and/ or Trengove (whom are currently uncontracted FA) leave for band 1 comp (which I highly doubt).

I think the interesting thing is that our starting inside midfield is quite young. SPP (19 y.o.), Wines (22 y.o.), Wingard (23 y.o.) and Ebert (27 y.o.) being the only exception. You substitute Rockliff and push Wingard up forward with R. Gray and that's a very dangerous forward line and midfield to go with what is already the leagues best defence.

Chuck in Motlop on the wing or preferably up forward and that is a really dangerous proposition for opposition defenses which would probably push us into the top 2-4 brackets.

We are certainly looking at FA since we don't have a first round pick, unless Pittard and/ or Trengove (whom are currently uncontracted FA) leave for band 1 comp (which I highly doubt).

I think the interesting thing is that our starting inside midfield is quite young. SPP (19 y.o.), Wines (22 y.o.), Wingard (23 y.o.) and Ebert (27 y.o.) being the only exception. You substitute Rockliff and push Wingard up forward with R. Gray and that's a very dangerous forward line and midfield to go with what is already the leagues best defence.

Chuck in Motlop on the wing or preferably up forward and that is a really dangerous proposition for opposition defenses which would probably push us into the top 2-4 brackets.
I think Rocky would be a crazy good signing because it truly would free up Gray to play up forward and kick 40+ goals. Motlop needs a fresh start and a team like the Power could be right for him. Two signings like these could lead the team a long way.

Wingard is still only 23??? * you. I thought he was 26. Gun.

I think Rocky would be a crazy good signing because it truly would free up Gray to play up forward and kick 40+ goals. Motlop needs a fresh start and a team like the Power could be right for him. Two signings like these could lead the team a long way.

Motlop and Rockliff in
Aaron Young and Matt White out.
That's a massive upgrade on our starting line up. Replacing two passengers for star players.
Our forward line which is disfunctional at times would straighten up and make us super deadly. At the moment we are one of the most inefficient teams in terms of registering a shot on goal per inside 50.

Motlop and Rockliff in
Aaron Young and Matt White out.
That's a massive upgrade on our starting line up. Replacing two passengers for star players.
Our forward line which is disfunctional at times would straighten up and make us super deadly. At the moment we are one of the most inefficient teams in terms of registering a shot on goal per inside 50.
Motlop isn't a star player. He has been well below that in 2017 and 2016. You would want him cheaply without Geelong matching to force a trade (RFA).

We smash teams defensively and smash teams with inside fifty entries so it's not rocket science where we are failing. Converting in front of goals , entry to forward lines ie kicking , lack of competitive genuine forwards.

Our midfield and forward half players are poor kicks , and our forward line is pretty much Dixon , gray and no one.

We smash teams defensively and smash teams with inside fifty entries so it's not rocket science where we are failing. Converting in front of goals , entry to forward lines ie kicking , lack of competitive genuine forwards.

Our midfield and forward half players are poor kicks , and our forward line is pretty much Dixon , gray and no one.

Way too overly critical....Westoff & Wingard are way more than average.....What you lack is a third tall/utility type....AKA Heywood & Rohan. And a quick lively small forward....Although Impey has looked good in this role on occasion.

A speedy & classy wingman should also be a priority.

Way too overly critical....Westoff & Wingard are way more than average.....What you lack is a third tall/utility type....AKA Heywood & Rohan. And a quick lively small forward....Although Impey has looked good in this role on occasion.

A speedy & classy wingman should also be a priority.

I was counting wingard as a mid. Is a part time forward. Same with westhoff, plays as a wingman slash floating back. At best part time forward like 5% game time there. Our forwards are usually Dixon , Trengove gray young as the four deep and sam gray sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon North should have a crack at him now. They have cash to splash and are after a big fish.

Kelly will be their number 1 priority.

I can see Rocky going to the Gold Coast for the Super-fund.....If they lose both Gablett & Hall, as rumored, then he can name his price there I'd reckon.

Kelly will be their number 1 priority.

I can see Rocky going to the Gold Coast for the Super-fund.....If they lose both Gablett & Hall, as rumored, then he can name his price there I'd reckon.
Yeah I reckon that Kelly ship has sailed.
If they can snap Rocky and Anthony Miles up over the pre-season, it will shore up their midfield.

I think Motlop should he played forward at Geelong. 44 goals in 2013 as a third tall, he even kicked 38 as a midfielder in 2016. A new club on a performance-based salary playing up forward like Port could be a really good move for all parties.

We have the financial cap to do so (may have something to do with how we structured wages during Ryder and monfries suspension), plus we are one of the few teams that didn't give our players wage increase % from the CBA. So I think we have the cap to get both. Although we mighave to trade out a fringe player or two to do so. But it would be worth it in my opinion.
Motlop isn't a star player. He has been well below that in 2017 and 2016. You would want him cheaply without Geelong matching to force a trade (RFA).

By all accounts 500k would be more than enough. Geelong haven't exactly been quiet about the fact that he isn't welcome there anymore. They were basically begging clubs to trade for him last season. A 2nd band compo would make Geelong extremely happy.

Played a lot up forward lately are Brisbane trying to get rid of him?
Fagan talked about this last weekend
Fagan is building the midfield Mathieson has been given he's position expect Berry and McCluggage and our first round pick to be added next season we've been last for clearances for a while Fagan is expecting to rest Zorko Rocky and Beams forward at times to see how things go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back