Tom Rockliff

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockys move to Mitchell was a great one. Rocky was quiet in the first half and Mitchell was racking them up

Rock kept mitchell to just 7 second half possessions (2 of them were free kicks)

Not sure why the angst against this move
It’s more the fact Ebert is in the side and isn’t nearly as good a clearance player as Rockliff. We got Rockliff to win clearances and allow Gray to be up foward. Rockliff shouldn’t be our go to tagged, we need him getting clearances and distributing the ball. Let Ebo do the run with role.

It’s more the fact Ebert is in the side and isn’t nearly as good a clearance player as Rockliff. We got Rockliff to win clearances and allow Gray to be up foward. Rockliff shouldn’t be our go to tagged, we need him getting clearances and distributing the ball. Let Ebo do the run with role.
We don’t seem to be using any of our players to their strengths. I’m a bit sick of us trying to outsmart opposition by playing our players out of position. We are a confused rabble and it isn’t working.

Mitchell had 21 possessions to half time with SPP on him most of that time and was cutting us to pieces. Rockliff held him to 7 after half time. You can argue the point whether another player should have gone to Mitchell, but Rockliff did the job he was asked to do.

I agree Rocky did a good job and every now and then you will need to sacrifice a player to curb an influential opposition player. But Rocky is there to win clearances and help us dominate the centre not to shut down an opponent. Once every now and then is fine, if it’s on going then that’s a real worry.

Question for me is why were we playing SPP as a tagger and not a game breaking mid/HF? Surely Ebo is the team’s tagger and would have matched up well with Mitchell?? Why was Rocky’s game so poor to half time? Well maybe more than one question.

We won clearances 40-27 and centre clearances 12-5 in the Hawthorn game. We don't know if Ebert is fully fit or if the coaching group thought Rockliff was a better physical match up for Mitchell than anyone else. And by tagging Mitchell, Rockliff is around the ball anyway.

We lost an arm-wrestle by 3 points in a match that could have gone either way and if Rockliff hadn't done the stopping job on Mitchell that he did we would have lost by 5 goals. You can say we aren't playing players to their strength but Rocky did such a good professional job, clearly this was a strength.

There were a cavalcade of examples of poor disposals into the F50, let alone the procession of frees and 50s, that influenced the result way more than using Rockliff as a tagger.

I agree that you would prefer to see Rocky on the ball and this is the first time he has tagged so it probably is a one off for a specific situation. Hell even Fos Williams played Russell Ebert at CHB on the great Barrie Robran to curb his influence.

And nek minnit we lose inside 50s by 59 to 38.
Go figure.
They had us structurally beat all day. It was glaringly obvious. The scoreline was beyond flattering. Have a team like Richkond get thast sort of control of the game and its a 70 point loss. Hawthorns ineptitude shouldnt be confused with a reasonable effort from us. It was 4 bad quarters, yes 4, where we were beaten comprehensively in general play, and were only lucky to have one hot patch where we punished a few of their mistakes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an impressive and astute football person Tom is. No wonder he was captain and was earmarked so early at Port as a leader.
Agree, early on in his career he had a reputation of being a bit of a boofhead but Rocky has really matured. Saw him at the Magpies v South game doting over his kid and looking after his misses. Good to have him at the club.

Seriously who was worried? This guy is now just performing every single week. Best free agent signing we have had.
Never in doubt from the moment we signed him. It was only a matter of when not if.

Last edited:
He's got that Tredrea I'm doing everything possible to play as well as I can, now you *beeeep* must do the same.
Def a leader out there and we've needed an extra one or two.

He's got that Tredrea I'm doing everything possible to play as well as I can, now you *beeeep* must do the same.
Def a leader out there and we've needed an extra one or two.
He was commanding at stoppages. Acting like a slipper.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back