Player Watch Pick #36 (2022) - Tom McCallum

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be playing McCallum from day one and have him and Aliir working as an intercepting tandem the way May and Lever operate - he gets into good positions and seems to read the play well. The thing I like about him is that he’s not afraid to use his pace after taking an intercept mark which is exactly what guys like Clurey don’t do.

But what about his height? It doesn’t matter…it’s all the same when a strong, tall key forward has a big pair of athletic nuts hanging on his forehead as McCallum uses him as a step ladder to take another intercept mark. If strong power forwards were so invincible, why does Dixon struggle so often? Guys like Hawkins and Lynch generally get their goals from their forward craft which has nothing to do with one on one strength or height (and which Dixon lacks).

Give me guys who are proactive and want to intercept and rebound to help create 12 point swings during the game over any player who just concentrates on negating their opponent.
Strong tea bagging vibes…

If only there was a thing called wing span which is important when you're tall

It's not the height that generally matters your wingspan can also create a significant advantage even if it's just a few cm.

I'm always disappointed there isn't a wingspan, standing reach height and highest point measurement taken/released of players so we can get a better understanding of their athletic profile.

I can't comment on MacCullums but the two taller lads look like they've got arms for days

Dustin Fletcher would have owned that stat I reckon.

Thing I like about his write up is the references to clean hands , one grab type player. I remember an interview with Alan Steward in which he said the number one factor he looked at was a player who was one touch. The classic example he offered was a young Shaun Burgoyne who Williams didn't want to recruit

Alan Stewart the man who brought us Nathan Steinberner - you out there still Portia :p

Or Mark Conway - tribey

Thing I like about his write up is the references to clean hands , one grab type player. I remember an interview with Alan Steward in which he said the number one factor he looked at was a player who was one touch. The classic example he offered was a young Shaun Burgoyne who Williams didn't want to recruit
Choco could definitely pull the wrong rein with some players, he was (apparently) in the front line of those who wanted to trade Tom Harley after less than a qtr of AFL footy, and if true the karma bus well and truly sorted that one out for him.

I have heard a Gavin Wanganeen interview where he said he tried to convince Choco on more than one occasion re getting Aaron and Alwyn Davey on to the rookie list, and history definitely wasn't kind to him after he rejected Kennedy from the hawks who went on to play over 200 games including the captaincy and a flag for the swans.

To cut him some slack though I have heard Jack Cahill say if it was up to him the club wouldn't have drafted Brendon Lade.

If only there was a thing called wing span which is important when you're tall

It's not the height that generally matters your wingspan can also create a significant advantage even if it's just a few cm.

I'm always disappointed there isn't a wingspan, standing reach height and highest point measurement taken/released of players so we can get a better understanding of their athletic profile.

I can't comment on MacCullums but the two taller lads look like they've got arms for days
Armspan is generally about the same as your height. So, on average, you can add half the height difference as how far a player can reach up. So the whole Jonas (as our shortest KPD) he's 'only' often 4cm - 10 cm shorter really becomes, well no, he's actually giving away 6 - 15cm, anywhere from over 2 inches to over half a foot!

We aren't winning the flag this year, I'd be more than happy for Port to accelerate our young KPD's developments by playing Aliir, one of Clurey / McKenzie and using the 3rd KPD spot to rotate through Pasini, McCallum and Marshall for games, with whoever's not playing of Clurey / McKenzie as first backup and Jonas in the SANFL to provide leadership down back there, but not near the AFL side unless our tall stocks are decimated.

Last edited:
Armspan is generally about the same as your height. So, on average, you can add half the height difference as how far a player can reach up. So the whole Jonas (as our shortest KPD) he's 'only' often 4cm - 10 cm shorter really becomes, well no, he's actually giving away 6 - 15cm, anywhere from over 2 inches to over half a foot!

We aren't winning the flag this year, I'd be more than happy for Port to accelerate our young KPD's developments by playing Aliir, one of Clurey / McKenzie and using the 3rd KPD spot to rotate through Pasini, McCallum and Sculley for games, with whoever's not playing of Clurey / McKenzie as first backup and Jonas in the SANFL to provide leadership down back there, but not near the AFL side unless our tall stocks are decimated.
Sculley or Marshall?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with this selection!!
Good kid, elite 400m runner when he was younger, clean hands and judges the flight of the ball better than most.
His old man is a 300 game Hall of Famer here in Tassie so he has a good Pedigree

First impression of McCallum just by looking at him is that this is a hard campaigner.

First impression of McCallum just by looking at him is that this is a hard campaigner.

Reminds me a little of Boak's story, growing up with his dad being a local football star, so he had great footy pedigree ... McCallum also has impeccable DNA, but needs to now have the drive to exceed his father's exploits.

The longer since the draft- the more I like this pick. If this kid grows even 2-3 more cm’s he’s a chance to be an absolute steal where we got him.
Looks like he might play some senior footy next year if we lose one of burto/Jonas/Houston.

Endless faff

Yeah the Tom's down back are Tom 'we dont know we just lost the fire in the belly, anyway see you at the footy!' Jonas and Tom 'Timid body language at the bar' Clurey.

But yeah, they turned out okay...

So you’re conveniently forgetting the Tom down back we got that ended up being an All Australian and 2 time premiership captain…

… for Geelong.

221202-New-Draftee-2_-10-of-13-.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back