Player Watch Pick #53 (2022) - Tom Scully

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Needs to get his pressure acts up and what are his GPS numbers like between the arcs?

Could be good at HBF. We're in real need for more of them.

It sounds weird but I was thinking that a bit about Georgiades' game.
What I was getting at with Scully playing like Dunstall, was that Dunstall wasn't a pack marking gorilla like Charlie is or Lockett was in Dunstall's playing days, and he wasn't know for taking speccies and trying to win mark of the year every 3rd or 4th game like Georgie is, and Ablett and Modra were in the 90's.

Dunstall was a lead out forward who could find space, but more importantly had a vice like grip on the ball, on the lead when he stuck his arms out to catch the ball, in the days when chopping of the arms was let go by the umpires and directives from the umpiring department.

All the footage I saw of Scully's U/18 year was that he mainly kicked goals by taking marks out on the lead and going back and slotting them with a nice simple goal kicking routine. Despite his height advantage at that level, he rarely got goals by being one on one and out marking his opponent using a combo of his height and strength advantage, or taking a big speccy.

Last year for the Maggies he played the same way as I saw him play in his U/18's videos. The one thing that disappointed me was that he didn't have a vice like grip and dropped a lot of marks on the lead, when he had someone up his backside. But he lead hard and got a lot of kicks put to him where he was at least in a 50/50 situation or better. That was the pleasing side of his game.

Last night he held 2 marks in that 3 goal 5 minute burst, when he was on the lead and under a lot of pressure. That's an improvement on last year, as no doubt he has hit the gym and is stronger than last year. If he continues to get stronger and gets a vice like grip on the ball, then he will be a hard key forward for the oppo to stop.

And having a mix of KPFs who are different - the gorilla type in Lord, the speccy taker in Georgiades and the lead out forward who can one grab it like Scully and Marshall, means we will be well served by these young KPF's over the next 5 to 10 years.

I want us to get away from the blindly bombing it into the forward line at any cost and hoping for the best as our main style of entry inside 50. You can't eliminate the bombing completely, as players under severe pressure, have no choice but to kick it quickly and hope for the best.

Is he going to kick 1,000 goals and win 4 flags like Dunstall? Highly unlikely, but if he plays like he did, then we have a better chance of winning finals and therefore a flag.

Last edited:
What I was getting at with Scully playing like Dunstall, was that Dunstall wasn't a pack marking gorilla like Charlie is or Lockett was in Dunstall's playing days, and he wasn't know for taking speccies and trying to win mark of the year every 3rd or 4th game like Georgie is, and Ablett and Modra were in the 90's.

Dunstall was a lead out forward who could find space, but more importantly had a vice like grip on the ball, on the lead when he stuck his arms out to catch the ball, in the days when chopping of the arms was let go by the umpires and directives from the umpiring department.

All the footage I saw of Scully's U/18 year was that he mainly kicked goals by taking marks out on the lead and going back and slotting them with a nice simple goal kicking routine. Despite his height advantage at that level, he rarely got goals by being one on one and out marking his opponent using a combo of his height and strength advantage, or taking a big speccy.

Last year for the Maggies he played the same way as I saw him play in his U/18's videos. The one thing that disappointed me was that he didn't have a vice like grip and dropped a lot of marks on the lead, when he had someone up his backside. But he lead hard and got a lot of kicks put to him where he was at least in a 50/50 situation or better. That was the pleasing side of his game.

Last night he held 2 marks in that 3 goal 5 minute burst, when he was on the lead and under a lot of pressure. That's an improvement on last year, as no doubt he has hit the gym and is stronger than last year. If he continues to get stronger and gets a vice like grip on the ball, then he will be a hard key forward for the oppo to stop.

And having a mix of KPFs who are different - the gorilla type in Lord, the speccy taker in Georgiades and the lead out forward who can one grab it like Scully and Marshall, means we will be well served by these young KPF's over the next 5 to 10 years.

I want us to get away from the blindly bombing it into the forward line at any cost and hoping for the best as our main style of entry inside 50. You can't eliminate the bombing completely, as players under severe pressure, have no choice but to kick it quickly and hope for the best.

Is he going to kick 1,000 goals and win 4 flags like Dunstall? Highly unlikely, but if he plays like he did, then we have a better chance of winning finals and therefore a flag.
Yeah, I knew what you meant but thanks for going a bit deep on it.

The other thing is that while he was on lesser opposition it was Himmelberg and he is an AFL veteran and not a first year player or anything.

His kick through the set shot was very nice too. That's why I asked I think in this thread but no one has answered if Scully can kick from a set shot if he marks on 50 because that would make him even more dangerous.

Him and Georgy looked like a good double act of the future last night.

Both had a quiet confidence about their game. We will see if it translates to AFL.

His kick through the set shot was very nice too. That's why I asked I think in this thread but no one has answered if Scully can kick from a set shot if he marks on 50 because that would make him even more dangerous.
I reckon I saw him kick one last year at Alberton playing for the Maggies, but I reckon there might have been a decent breeze that day.

RossFC probably knows the answer to that as he watched nearly all the Maggies games last year.

He looked good and there is an AFL player there
But he kicker them on Elliot Himmelberg

Let's just calm down a bit

I reckon I saw him kick one last year at Alberton playing for the Maggies, but I reckon there might have been a decent breeze that day.

RossFC probably knows the answer to that as he watched nearly all the Maggies games last year.

I’m sure he could kick from just outside 50. Don’t recall thinking that he’s a short kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So….. It’s 2025/2026…

Taking Dixon out of the mix and assuming Marshall is the number 1 key forward.

who out of MG, Lord, Scully and Finlayson gets picked?

I like Scully, but he is raw still. Needs another year in the SANFL at least.

Yeah, I knew what you meant but thanks for going a bit deep on it.

The other thing is that while he was on lesser opposition it was Himmelberg and he is an AFL veteran and not a first year player or anything.

Him and Georgy looked like a good double act of the future last night.

Both had a quiet confidence about their game. We will see if it translates to AFL.
Enjoy hearing these positive things about the likes of Scully (and Walsh) :thumbsu::D

Just noting that Scully has 12 goals in his last 12 quarters of pre-season footy.

Internal trial = 2 goals
2 quarters vs Crows in AFL trial = 3 goals
2 quarters vs North Adelaide = 3 goals
Trial vs South Adelaide = 4 goals

PAFC-v-SOUTH-Trial-42.jpg

He can turn a game in a matter of minutes. He will frustrate supporters with long stretches of nothing then boom, go into god-mode.

Look out when he becomes consistent.

He can turn a game in a matter of minutes. He will frustrate supporters with long stretches of nothing then boom, go into god-mode.

Look out when he becomes consistent.
And that will come with fitness and strength gains. He was starting from so far back as a skinny 18 year old. He is a year or two away from having the body to play consistently well against afl defenders but the upside is enormous if he can put it together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back