Player Watch Pick #36 (2022) - Tom McCallum

Remove this Banner Ad

For all those complaining about his height of 192cm and praising Marshall at 198cm...take out your weiners and that's the height difference. It would make bugger all difference on field.

You are vastly overestimating the length of my wiener here

If he was our tallest player we drafted this off-season it would be a disaster, but he’s the shortest player we drafted so I’m stoked.

Don’t like drafting Tasmanians, the last 15 years or so they’ve bombed at a high rate (who even are the good tassie players in the comp right now?) but that’s a generalisation.

He sounds like a decent addition, and the fact we’ve added 2 defenders (with one being over 195cm) is a positive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was our tallest player we drafted this off-season it would be a disaster, but he’s the shortest player we drafted so I’m stoked.

Don’t like drafting Tasmanians, the last 15 years or so they’ve bombed at a high rate (who even are the good tassie players in the comp right now?) but that’s a generalisation.

He sounds like a decent addition, and the fact we’ve added 2 defenders (with one being over 195cm) is a positive.
To be fair, Thomas looked to track ok until North became the bomb site.

Would love him at Port.

Jones for all his detractors, looks a good Back Pocketer - Not worth a top 15 pick with what was on option around him, but if taken at 33/36 you would be happy with his output.

From that highlights package, I loved the way he attacked marking contests. Unlike a lot of video of tall defender prospects he really crashed the packs with authority. Not afraid to take a contested grab in defence.

Throw in the pace and the attacking instincts and he could be a real weapon.

Best available and the first piece in what was a defined strategy on draft night.

Jack Riewoldt, Alex Pearce, Jeremy Howe, Brody Mihocek, Lachie Weller, Ben Brown, Aaron Hall, Tarryn Thomas, Toby Nankervis, Liam Jones,..........

Fingers crossed he will become a long term player for us and overcome the lack of height he has, and that our club has demonstrated it desperately lacks for an extended period now.

As a mid?

Good size, quick off the mark and already a solid build that'll only get bigger and stronger. Anyway just a thought.

Jack Riewoldt, Alex Pearce, Jeremy Howe, Brody Mihocek, Lachie Weller, Ben Brown, Aaron Hall, Tarryn Thomas, Toby Nankervis, Liam Jones,..........
ALSO: Jake kolodjashnij, Ryan Gardner, Hugh Greenwood, Andrew Phillips, Jimmy Webster ...
RECENT PAST: Kade kolodjashnij, Mitch Robinson, Jackson Thurlow, Grant Burchell, Jesse Lonergan etc

Now we can add another, who will become a superstar at Port

ALSO: Jake kolodjashnij, Ryan Gardner, Hugh Greenwood, Andrew Phillips, Jimmy Webster ...
RECENT PAST: Kade kolodjashnij, Mitch Robinson, Jackson Thurlow, Grant Burchell, Jesse Lonergan etc

Now we can add another, who will become a superstar at Port
Yeah I picked a few based on the "good" requirement, at least you left Chayce Jones off your list too

For all those complaining about his height of 192cm and praising Marshall at 198cm...take out your weiners and that's the height difference. It would make bugger all difference on field.
If only there was a thing called wing span which is important when you're tall

It's not the height that generally matters your wingspan can also create a significant advantage even if it's just a few cm.

I'm always disappointed there isn't a wingspan, standing reach height and highest point measurement taken/released of players so we can get a better understanding of their athletic profile.

I can't comment on MacCullums but the two taller lads look like they've got arms for days

Remove this Banner Ad

Back