Player Watch Pick #36 (2022) - Tom McCallum

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see some muscle definition.
Meh ... Over rated!

PC131120DK853621626.jpg

Another ostrich wtf lol Pasini and his heights will be decieving all neck.

Tbf the only other option was Matthew Pavlich, so good call/bad call. 😉

I thought it was interesting to have a look at the height of some key defenders in the past.

Martin Leslie 187cm

Greg Phillips 188cm

G Jakovich 193cm

A Rance 194cm

Scarlett 194cm

Silvagni 191cm

Obviously the heights are trending up, and a quick check of the last 5 or 6 All Australian CHBs shows they were at least 196cm.

Would be a bit of a challenge for McCallum to stand the King brothers and a few others....that's where we will really need Kyle Marshall to really develop in next 3 to 4 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Found it interesting that when asked who was impressing on the track in the pre-season, Hinkley mentioned the new recruits and what they could add to the team.

There's a place for McCallum in this side if he puts in the effort IMO. I can see our KPD being Jonas, Aliir and McCallum in 2023. If Jake Lever can play 12 games in his first season as a screen off intercept defender, there's no reason that McCallum can't do the same.

Found it interesting that when asked who was impressing on the track in the pre-season, Hinkley mentioned the new recruits and what they could add to the team.

There's a place for McCallum in this side if he puts in the effort IMO. I can see our KPD being Jonas, Aliir and McCallum in 2023. If Jake Lever can play 12 games in his first season as a screen off intercept defender, there's no reason that McCallum can't do the same.
There are a few reasons why the Lever/McCallum analogy falls flat:
  • Jake Lever was drafted with pick 14. McCallum was drafted 22 picks later.
  • Lever has long rangy arms. McCallum has a long rangy neck.
  • Lever was by far the best aerialist defender in the 2014 crop. McCallum was the best aerialist from Tassie.

However they were the same height and a similar weight in their first season and some of our ailing talls will probably gift McCallum his opportunities if nothing else through injury or flagging form. Yes, Hinkley will also be keen to see how this years top pick goes in games.

If Jonas is not Captain McCallum should get more games as Jonas was fading noticeably in 2022. I see McCallum being the obvious replacement for Jonas at this point rather than Clurey/McKenzie if they are fit. Of course McCallum is automatically the next man up in terms of depth until Pacini can indicate he is ready to go at AFL level.

Last edited:
There are a few reasons why the Lever/McCallum analogy falls flat:
  • Jake Lever was drafted with pick 14. McCallum was drafted 22 picks later.
  • Lever has long rangy arms. McCallum has a long rangy neck.
  • Lever was by far the best aerialist defender in the 2014 crop. McCallum was the best aerialist from Tassie.

However they were the same height and a similar weight in their first season and some of our ailing talls will probably gift McCallum his opportunities if nothing else through injury or flagging form. Yes, Hinkley will also be keen to see how this years top pick goes in games.

If Jonas is not Captain McCallum should get more games as Jonas was fading noticeably in 2022. I see McCallum being the obvious replacement for Jonas at this point rather than Clurey/McKenzie if they are fit. Of course McCallum is automatically the next man up in terms of depth until Pacini can indicate he is ready to go at AFL level.
His father Scott McCallum, is an AFL Tasmania Hall of Fame member and holds the games record for Clarence with 315 senior appearances, in a career spanning 22 years and over 350 senior games, Scott McCallum forged a reputation as one of the toughest, most determined and hard working Tasmanian footballers of the modern era.

Scott McCallum managed the extraordinary achievement as a 16-year old of rising through the ranks from Under 17’s to the Clarence senior side all in the space of one season.

I've figured out who the McCallum highlights remind me of, and now I wish I hadn't. Sam Frost.

I can definitely see Tom being a key target for the new Tassie team his dad being Tassie royalty at all.

Nah he's any good and I suspect he is then we'll stitch him up early.

Don't like the idea of being offered draft picks in what would likely be a compromised draft as compensation for losing someone we rate.

His father Scott McCallum, is an AFL Tasmania Hall of Fame member and holds the games record for Clarence with 315 senior appearances, in a career spanning 22 years and over 350 senior games, Scott McCallum forged a reputation as one of the toughest, most determined and hard working Tasmanian footballers of the modern era.

Scott McCallum managed the extraordinary achievement as a 16-year old of rising through the ranks from Under 17’s to the Clarence senior side all in the space of one season.
I think this is the 3rd thread I have read your post in now. Are you Scott?

Did you know Georgiadis' dad kicked 8 on debut

It would be a great win for the team if he is able to break his way into the back 6 for half a year. I think he would pair well with Aliir.

TRAINING THE HOUSE DOWN MOVE TO THE MIDFIELD IMMINENT

Remove this Banner Ad

Back