Player Watch Pick #36 (2022) - Tom McCallum

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be playing McCallum from day one and have him and Aliir working as an intercepting tandem the way May and Lever operate - he gets into good positions and seems to read the play well. The thing I like about him is that he’s not afraid to use his pace after taking an intercept mark which is exactly what guys like Clurey don’t do.

But what about his height? It doesn’t matter…it’s all the same when a strong, tall key forward has a big pair of athletic nuts hanging on his forehead as McCallum uses him as a step ladder to take another intercept mark. If strong power forwards were so invincible, why does Dixon struggle so often? Guys like Hawkins and Lynch generally get their goals from their forward craft which has nothing to do with one on one strength or height (and which Dixon lacks).

Give me guys who are proactive and want to intercept and rebound to help create 12 point swings during the game over any player who just concentrates on negating their opponent.

I’d be playing McCallum from day one and have him and Aliir working as an intercepting tandem the way May and Lever operate - he gets into good positions and seems to read the play well. The thing I like about him is that he’s not afraid to use his pace after taking an intercept mark which is exactly what guys like Clurey don’t do.

But what about his height? It doesn’t matter…it’s all the same when a strong, tall key forward has a big pair of athletic nuts hanging on his forehead as McCallum uses him as a step ladder to take another intercept mark. If strong power forwards were so invincible, why does Dixon struggle so often? Guys like Hawkins and Lynch generally get their goals from their forward craft which has nothing to do with one on one strength or height (and which Dixon lacks).

Give me guys who are proactive and want to intercept and rebound to help create 12 point swings during the game over any player who just concentrates on negating their opponent.
Dixon struggles because he's not that good at fundamentals like leading, stopping propping and wrestling is easy to negate for defenders.

Lynch & Hawkins have smarts and get separation easier, the problem with trusting an undersized defense is it can fall to s**t on players like that when it matters most they don't get any shorter deep in a final when every little short ass defender is gassed.

I saw a clip from an episode of NCIS where someone asked Gibbs what “Ducky was like when he was younger”.

The response was “Illya Kuryakin”

I hate that I got this. Getting old sucks.

How fortuitous mitch had a film and audio crew on hand at home to make an impromptu phone call to congratulate Tom.

I'm sorry, but this kind of stuff with the effort the club has gone to, to film it professionally kinda takes away from the authenticity of the phone call.

Carn' you are getting into Debbie Downer territory now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all those complaining about his height of 192cm and praising Marshall at 198cm...take out your weiners and that's the height difference. It would make bugger all difference on field.
All of the sudden I’m feeling pretty good about myself right now

Massive fan of this pick. Done a lot of draft watching this year and was big on him throughout the year. In fact, going into night 2 I had him ranked 5th for who we could get (behind George, Clarke, Hayes and Hugh Davies). Once the other 4 went I became sold on him as a Jonas replacement who looks like he could play taller.

The thing about defending is that while size helps when you are a poor defender and get into bad spots, it isn't necessarily required when you read the ball well and have good athleticism like McCallum clearly does. I would much prefer a guy like Tom who flies at the ball, has speed and reads it really well in the air over someone who is 5cm taller but is out of position or too slow to keep up/react. I think he will be a very handy player for us!

IMG_3580.JPEG

That's what RussellEbertHandball refers to as the KMart scarf. Don't imagine our range of merch is that great on the Apple Isle.

Should have given sobrave a call. 😉

i think i have the same one in my drawer, he should spin the logo badge around to see if it's the same classic power fist holding the lightning bolt

can't blame Tassie for that one though, I brought it over from SA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back