Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Monday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10

Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16

WA: Sunday October 17
NSW&ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 (9am) – Tuesday November 9 (5pm)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10 (2pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 (9am) – Monday November 15 (5pm)

Draft Nominations Due
Wednesday November 17 (3pm)

Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 25 (10pm) - Thursday November 25 (11pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Nominations Due (Includes Academy, Father/Son)
Friday November 26 (12pm) - Friday November 26 (12.30pm)

Preseason Draft
Friday November 26 (3pm)

Pre-Selected Rookie Notification
Friday November 26 (3.15pm)

Rookie Draft
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29 (4pm)

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)
Current Contract Status
2021 Draft Watch
Father/Son and NGA
Adrian Dodoro

Last edited:
I dont see us keeping Clarke, tbh. He got dropped after a few decent games for a final that would have been his cup of tea (wet slog of a match).

It doesnt seem like Truck sees him as part of the future
I got the feeling that he would have been bundled into the Gleeson one if it were true.

There is so much sense in signing both Constable and Rantall I am preparing myself for Jack Lonie.

Also, Austin Bradke is a player we tried to sign when Melbourne did. He was supposed to be 203cm athletic blank canvass. I wonder whether we squeeze him in.

Last edited:
Jay Rantall delisted 😮
Interesting. Still a bit light which was why he was not given a lot of midfield time and did not do much as a forward.

Constable and Lonie we should definitely pick up ... cost nothing ... constable is a very good midfielder who gets a lot of the ball and lonie could be handy as a small goal sneak forward ... both cost 0.... bring them in ... even rantall maybe

Where does Constable fit in our midfield? The reason he struggled to get a game at Geelong was because he didn't do the defensive stuff. There's an argument that we have too many of those in our midfield already, let alone adding another one to the mix just because he's a perceived big body?

Rantall at least showed some aptitude going the other way

Where does Constable fit in our midfield? The reason he struggled to get a game at Geelong was because he didn't do the defensive stuff. There's an argument that we have too many of those in our midfield already, let alone adding another one to the mix just because he's a perceived big body?

Is constable slow? Reason the cats delisted. They need speed arounds dads army

Maybe Constable stands up as capable of playing the role of inside distributor around the ball. That fits into the best 22 effortlessly by not playing Smith and using Shiel and Caldwell as outnumber/forwards which is what we were planning anyway.

At worst he is perfectly functional midfield depth, as his performances to date suggest he is, which we can use when our currently non-existent midfield depth is tested.

Granted, that's not necessarily much of an offer if another club is promising best 22 minutes. That's extremely unlikely, though, because inside mids are being punished for everything that goes wrong at the moment in the same way that key forwards were a few years ago.

It's a really bad time to be a fringe inside mid.

Last edited:
For us I dare say they need to fall into one of the below categories:

-Young and developing/can push for a spot
-A better clearance/contested ball/bodywork player than what we already have
-Able to play another position to AFL standard to give us a bit of switchability

I don’t think Constable ticks any of those boxes but having said that he can clearly track the footy and the alternative on our list is currently no body so I wouldn’t be mad.

No to Lonie….not enough strings to his bow as a small fwd which is why he wasn’t getting a game at Stk. Not dissimilar to Cahill imo.

Constable def worth throwing a bone to given our lack of inside mids. Costs nothing & gives us depth in an area we need, so why not?

There is so much sense in signing both Constable and Rantall I am preparing myself for Jack Lonie.

Also, Austin Bradke is a player we tried to sign when Melbourne did. He was supposed to be 203cm athletic blank canvass. I wonder whether we squeeze him in.
Wonder if Brisbane would do the same for Ely Smith as Geelong did for Constable if we were interested. I’m not sure how you carry a slow mid with no engine no matter how tall they are. Smith at least has some above average athleticism to go with his contested exploits. Rantall has good potential as a defensive mid. Can look to develop our own Hewett type in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder if Brisbane would do the same for Ely Smith as Geelong did for Constable if we were interested. I’m not sure how you carry a slow mid with no engine no matter how tall they are. Smith at least has some above average athleticism to go with his contested exploits. Rantall has good potential as a defensive mid. Can look to develop our own Hewett type in him.
Where's this idea that Constable has no engine come from? His issues mostly surround the fact he doesn't defend well. He averages 30+ disposals in the VFL this year.

I'm not saying we should take him, but let's get our criticisms on his game correct at least :p

I wouldn't overstate the issues with his engine or his defensive issues.

There are plenty of defensively un-accountable midfielders whether they are accumulators or bona fide inside pigs.

Most sides will only play a few. Sides likes the Dogs, Collingwood and Brisbane have played many of these players in sides in recent times and done it with success (at least in terms of total games won).

At the end of the day, he just needs an opportunity to play. There is no logical reason players like Matt Crouch and Jarrod Lyons should consistently play professional standard sport that Constable is supposedly not good enough to play. Tom Mitchell has won a Brownlow. Parish polled 25 votes this year.

😆 so the Dodoro on Sportsday interview (the interview with Sam Edmund etc) apparently he got wind of the Bobby Hill thing a week earlier than last weekend but didn't think much of it.

Got a call from Colin Young on Friday last week, saying that Bobby was definitely coming back to Melbourne, was meeting with Collingwood that day and are we interested? Said of course, if he's definitely coming to Melbourne then for sure.

Well apparently we didn't even get to present to him after that, the next day he had his heart set on Essendon.

Where's this idea that Constable has no engine come from? His issues mostly surround the fact he doesn't defend well. He averages 30+ disposals in the VFL this year.

I'm not saying we should take him, but let's get our criticisms on his game correct at least :p
His endurance has always been a weakness and is the reason he is a liability defensively. A guy like Brayden Sier will pickup similar stats in the VFL but likely won’t have a career at the top level due to his poor running ability.

I wouldn't overstate the issues with his engine or his defensive issues.

There are plenty of defensively un-accountable midfielders whether they are accumulators or bona fide inside pigs.

Most sides will only play a few. Sides likes the Dogs, Collingwood and Brisbane have played many of these players in sides in recent times and done it with success (at least in terms of total games won).

At the end of the day, he just needs an opportunity to play. There is no logical reason players like Matt Crouch and Jarrod Lyons should consistently play professional standard sport that Constable is supposedly not good enough to play. Tom Mitchell has won a Brownlow. Parish polled 25 votes this year.
Well, there is. You need to be good enough at the offensive stuff to crack the couple of spots club can afford to give to one-way plodders.

There may be plenty of unaccountable players in the AFL, but more again are only okay offensively and still crap defensively, and spend their weekends beating up on Essendon-listed small forwards in the VFL.

At no point has Constable shown he's good enough at what he's good at to make up for what he's bad at.

Last edited:
For us I dare say they need to fall into one of the below categories:

-Young and developing/can push for a spot
-A better clearance/contested ball/bodywork player than what we already have
-Able to play another position to AFL standard to give us a bit of switchability

I don’t think Constable ticks any of those boxes but having said that he can clearly track the footy and the alternative on our list is currently no body so I wouldn’t be mad.
At 190cm Constable has played across hb and pushed forward to mark and goal. His height also means he can be a legitimate marking target in the middle of the ground to allow Draper to push forward more.

I feel like he missed a lot of development opportunity at Geelong. If we can develop and play him to his strengths as an inside distributor it means Stringer has someone with whom he can swap roles. Only misgiving I have is his endurance apparently is not so good and he moves a bit slowly, but he apparently is a very smart player.

Well, there is. You need to be good enough at the offensive stuff to crack the couple of spots club can afford to give to one-way plodders.

There may be plenty of unaccountable players in the AFL, but more again are only good offensively and still crap defensively, and spend their weekends beating up on Essendon-listed small forwards in the VFL.

At no point has Constable shown he's good enough at what he's good at to make up for what he's bad at.

You're right.

That's definitely the reason.

What I was intending to say is that the difference between him with ball in hand abd the others is negligible.

The idea of adding Constable or Sier or even Brownless Jnr for pittance should not be solely focused on the AFL contigent.

It allows the guys at the lower level to focus on there natural position and not forced unnaturally into a role in search of competitiveness.

We could see Ham on a wing, Durham off HB, Waterman playing a natural fwd role at the lower level with that midfield depth ahead.

People may question the Demons acquisition of Dunstan but seeing that depth behind there ‘big 3’ (Petracca, Oliver, Viney) and it tallies away very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back