List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Which Carlton players can you move to open up $1.5 mil over 6/7 years

You guys are tapping out with all the signings and will be back ending Wietering

Carlton have 5-6 years to snag a flag after that its back to rebuild territory as that window passes very very quickly
Well we're already reportedly offering Hayward about 650-700k, and then u add someone like:

Martin (4-500)
Kennedy (5-600)
Young(4-500)
Docherty(5-600)
Williams(800)

I think it could be done, if a player like Bolton became available we might just have to consider moving heaven and earth and just accept we'd lose a decent role player or two to get it done.

Still don't know if we'd have a way of getting the picks for it though.

Well we're already reportedly offering Hayward about 650-700k, and then u add someone like:

Martin (4-500)
Kennedy (5-600)
Young(4-500)
Docherty(5-600)
Williams(800)

I think it could be done, if a player like Bolton became available we might just have to consider moving heaven and earth and just accept we'd lose a decent role player or two to get it done.

Yes but dont forget the big contracts that are gettin back ended last 2 years
Calton has to get rid of players like Martin to open up space for hayward

Wietering
Curnow
Cripps
Walsh
MacKay

Thats 5 players that will be on over $1 mil a year (all contracts have tpp increases )

Richmond had 4 players over $750k and Dusty $1.2 & Lynch $1 mil
the cap eventually runs your depth down quickly

Have to strike when iron is hot and when these players get to 30-31 and still getting paid big $$$$ and not getting top 10 picks the talent from 15-30 dries up very quickly

Yes but dont forget the big contracts that are gettin back ended last 2 years
Calton has to get rid of players like Martin to open up space for hayward

Wietering
Curnow
Cripps
Walsh
MacKay

Thats 5 players that will be on over $1 mil a year (all contracts have tpp increases )

Richmond had 4 players over $750k and Dusty $1.2 & Lynch $1 mil
the cap eventually runs your depth down quickly

Have to strike when iron is hot and when these players get to 30-31 and still getting paid big $$$$ and not getting top 10 picks the talent from 15-30 dries up very quickly
We are in a situation where we could still pay part of Bolton's contract, but you would have to think freo would be the front runners with 3 first round picks, roughly the Kelly trade and Cameron trades as guides?

If Bolton were traded then Richmond would need to get in a free agent to cover the gap - Ben Ainsworth.
Bolton for Freo’s first this year and next.

With every diabolical week that passes , I’m becoming more liberal about trading out players , let’s face it , how many are going to play in our next win. Just do it
The argument against trading them out was that you need someone to teach thr kids, but if there is draft capital available we can bring in an older player from another club as a free agent to do that. I don't know to what degree the guys left set standards anyway. I'd be happy to trade out anyone who wants a trade out and go massive in this draft, and then free agent a player or two toward the end for leadership, boak type maybe with a player coach contract.

With tassie coming in I say we trade whoever wants out to spots in this year's and next year's draft

Don’t agree with that statement at all personally

We don’t know when our next flag will be and to say we won’t be in contention again in 5 years is hyperbolic

Similar things were said in 2016 about a lot of our players and I said the same about a lot of Pies and Geelong players in recent seasons and have had to eat my words

Oh I think you underestimate how long rebuilds take.

By the time our good picks we get this year or from the 2021 draft peak Rioli will be old enough to be recruited to Geelong.

I disagree. Dan Rioli may well be a massive part of our next flag. Just like Chris Newman and Ivan Maric were significant parts of our 2017/19/20 flags.

Players peaking at the same time is what wins flags. Our age brackets are stuffed the new gen will not peak at the same time as Bolton, Rioli, Taranto, Hopper.

Tom De Koning a RFA in 2025, could be a player to target as a Key Forward/ Ruck especially if we don't have to give up draft picks.

Here is how I would be looking at it.

Untouchables as leaders: Baker, Taranto, Lynch, Vlastuin, Broad, D.Rioli

Those are the players I think we need to keep as leaders of the club that can guide and move the next generation through.

Hard Conversation players: Bolton, Graham, Short.

I am going back to the well on Bolton. I just don't think he will be able to hack the absolute s**t we are going to be dishing up. We would get something insane for him that would really help set us up for the future.

Graham and Short we could probably get second rounders through FA compo or just pure trades. Again if we can get those picks this year to start the stockpile we really should.

We need to be pulling in all the kids we can for the next few years from the top 30 in the drafts prior to Tasmania coming in.

SCOUTS ARE NEEDED TO FIND VALUE. We need to pick the eyes out of the COVID drafts. They say they are about 2 years behind so we need to start trying to front run and pull the unseen value where we can.

TRADING IN: We will need to trade in some experience around the 25-28 year old range. It isnt going to be sexy but we need to find some clubmen and hard workers that can help set the standards for the kids.

PEOPLE WANT TO COMPARE US TO 2010 - WE ARE AT THE STAGE OF 07.

I agree with most of that.

I would actually be trading in 20-24 year olds to better match the age bracket of the new gen.

Oh I think you underestimate how long rebuilds take.

By the time our good picks we get this year or from the 2021 draft peak Rioli will be old enough to be recruited to Geelong.
Completely depends
We have no real idea where we sit as a club due to an inability to field a fully fit side

The closest we have done that this year we defeated the team that is currently undefeated otherwise
Not suggesting we would be playing finals but our current ladder position doesn’t reflect the actual state of our list

In 2021 Collingwood finished 17th 3 years later they win the flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The argument against trading them out was that you need someone to teach thr kids, but if there is draft capital available we can bring in an older player from another club as a free agent to do that. I don't know to what degree the guys left set standards anyway. I'd be happy to trade out anyone who wants a trade out and go massive in this draft, and then free agent a player or two toward the end for leadership, boak type maybe with a player coach contract.

With tassie coming in I say we trade whoever wants out to spots in this year's and next year's draft

The time to rebuild is long gone unfortunately. Saying you need "someone to teach them", is only relevant if the blokes you have are good teachers, I'd hate to say, the veterans we have remaining are not good teachers

Kane Lambert, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Bachar Houli, David Astbury, Alex Rance - they were the blokes you wanted around to "teach".

Nathan Broad, Toby Nank, McIntosh, Pickett, Vlaustin, Bolton, Rioli, Dusty - they have all been good players in their day, but none of them have really shown much inregards to leadership, mentoring etc.

We needed to start rebuiding hardcore in 2021 so we still have a couple of years of those guys around to lead by example. Instead we are now the blind leading the blind.

The time to rebuild is long gone unfortunately. Saying you need "someone to teach them", is only relevant if the blokes you have are good teachers, I'd hate to say, the veterans we have remaining are not good teachers

Kane Lambert, Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt, Bachar Houli, David Astbury, Alex Rance - they were the blokes you wanted around to "teach".

Nathan Broad, Toby Nank, McIntosh, Pickett, Vlaustin, Bolton, Rioli, Dusty - they have all been good players in their day, but none of them have really shown much inregards to leadership, mentoring etc.

We needed to start rebuiding hardcore in 2021 so we still have a couple of years of those guys around to lead by example. Instead we are now the blind leading the blind.

Well said. How we went from all those leaders to Nankervis as our captain is criminal too.

We are in deep shit. Something I and others saw occurring a long time ago. Whilst our supporters were laughing at Geelongs cliff in 2020, they went about rectifying it a bit. We did absolutely nothing.

Deplorable and criminal what some executives have done to what we had at the club. Including Brendon Gale. Just didn’t give a damn.

There’s years of pain ahead.

On Bolton, we shouldn’t be getting rid of our elite players. It’s time for him to play full time midfield this year.

Bolton, Rioli and Lynch are not to be traded.

I would like to keep Baker too but he’s gone. We just gotta get the best deal possible.

Martin (4-500)
Kennedy (5-600)
Young(4-500)
Docherty(5-600)
Williams(800)

Well u wouldn’t , he’s contracted for 4y , 2x r1 and good ones would be starting price

Give a blank cheque to Zac Butters. The exact type we need. He just put Port on his back in that last quarter. He is as hard as nails and works his backside off.

Flat out jet.

Give a blank cheque to Zac Butters. The exact type we need. He just put Port on his back in that last quarter. He is as hard as nails and works his backside off.

Flat out jet.
It's a miracle he hasn't been injured this year, considering how fearless he is. Constantly diving headfirst into contests.

He'd be out for the season in Round 1 in a Richmond jumper

Completely depends
We have no real idea where we sit as a club due to an inability to field a fully fit side

The closest we have done that this year we defeated the team that is currently undefeated otherwise
Not suggesting we would be playing finals but our current ladder position doesn’t reflect the actual state of our list

In 2021 Collingwood finished 17th 3 years later they win the flag
I hope you are right but the 2021 pies team still had players that made GF and prelims in it a few years ago. Heaps of stars. We don’t have many.

Last edited:
You must be forgetting something, if at that point they’re beginning to peak them indeed rioli has done his work
He’d have done his work as a mentor (does Rioli even have mentoring abilities idk, his gamestyle seems more instinctive to me) but at the sacrifice of potentially a peak of a top 5 player as good as Martin and Cotchin. That’s not worth the risk imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back