List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Good list Ghost but can't see Taylor or Dekoning leaving sides who are in their window.
Vital we re sign Balta.
And pay attention too someone like Cadman
Fair point, but plenty have recently for various reasons.

JCameron, McStay, ZWilliams, Tomlinson, Dahlhaus, Lycett, JHunt, SMotlop, Amon etc all left teams entrenched in the Top 8, and some arrived at teams that were out of the Top 8.

JCameron, McStay, ZWilliams, Tomlinson, Dahlhaus, Lycett, JHunt, SMotlop, Amon etc all left teams entrenched in the Top 8, and some arrived at teams that were out of the Top 8.
The occasional A grader falls out of the tree(Cameron/Lynch).Prefer too keep all our picks and I wouldn't be against getting someone like Treacy as part of the trade for Baker.

Would Richmond trade Noah Balta to norf for pick 1 and would norf trade pick 1 for Balta?
Balta will be a free agent in 2025 and norf desperately need KPP

Purely a hypothetical don't think there is any chance of it happening

Would Richmond trade Noah Balta to norf for pick 1 and would norf trade pick 1 for Balta?
Balta will be a free agent in 2025 and norf desperately need KPP

Purely a hypothetical don't think there is any chance of it happening
What would be the point?
Balta has still 7+ years left so he’s the player we should be building around

Why trade him to try and draft a player like Balta in the first place

The whole point of trading is to improve your list and not make it worse by trading the type of player we need the most instead of a position we have a surplus in

The occasional A grader falls out of the tree(Cameron/Lynch).Prefer too keep all our picks and I wouldn't be against getting someone like Treacy as part of the trade for Baker.
Doubt they’d let him go tbh , he’s a great example of our recruiters heads up their cracker with tall prospects , he was a bloody rookie

It’s funny how this season is panning out. Lots of criticism about our list mgt approach and how we should have ‘done a Hawthorn’ … yet I watch that today and wonder where on earth they are going. I see Ward (pick 5?) played VFL today.

Then there’s other teams that ‘went to the draft ‘ … Saints are 2-5. North 0-7. Crows 2-5.

I expect these teams will improve … but it’s not about ‘scraping into finals’ or going 11-11 … it’s about building a team to contend for flags.

So whilst we may finish below Saints or Freo or Crows or Bombers etc… over this season and next, I’m not sure of any of them are closer to a flag than we are, as I just don’t think they have all the puzzle pieces in place and I don’t believe they play the right game style for a flag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One thing Blair Hartley needs to get to work on is identifying Grigg/Houli types that are undervalued at their current club to help fill some holes in our list, especially if with all of Grimes/Prestia/Dusty/Baker/Graham likely to be gone.
Ideally we have those types among our youth already on our list. Silver lining with our injury list is we get to trial these kids out which will give us our priority list going fwd.

Staying fit, still playing footy, flying the flag for a teammate and ultimately falling victim to an overzealous ump who saw a big name and wanted to card him to inflate his own ego?

Seems like the exact type of thing you want from someone guiding others if you ask me
Also wreaks of a local player wanting a story to "tell the boys down at the local" & can see his chance when an ex AFL player is playing for the opposition. As the yrs go on the story has more & more Mayo applied to it each time it's brought up.

It’s funny how this season is panning out. Lots of criticism about our list mgt approach and how we should have ‘done a Hawthorn’ … yet I watch that today and wonder where on earth they are going. I see Ward (pick 5?) played VFL today.

Then there’s other teams that ‘went to the draft ‘ … Saints are 2-5. North 0-7. Crows 2-5.

I expect these teams will improve … but it’s not about ‘scraping into finals’ or going 11-11 … it’s about building a team to contend for flags.

So whilst we may finish below Saints or Freo or Crows or Bombers etc… over this season and next, I’m not sure of any of them are closer to a flag than we are, as I just don’t think they have all the puzzle pieces in place and I don’t believe they play the right game style for a flag.

I’ve said it before , the value of TT and hopper will come to the fore with our next gen mids being exposed in absence of prestia , bakes and graham ,,,they will he,p shoulder the load ,,,haw lack this
We also need to try and ace some tall selections to set us up ,,,would love trainor on our list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also wreaks of a local player wanting a story to "tell the boys down at the local" & can see his chance when an ex AFL player is playing for the opposition. As the yrs go on the story has more & more Mayo applied to it each time it's brought up.
Not gunna lie… I’ve been that guy 😂

I'd rather avoid those "B Grade" types & draft those player types in ourselves, might even get better quality players that way. As we saw in '12-'16 those types only get u so far.

Norf/Horf are prime examples as to why you don't gut your list, Both are bottom 2 for a reason & both have been listless all year, Horf only won last week as they played Norf. As for those you mentioned, 1 did gut their list & the other 2 never "bottomed out" & instead traded in some real B/C graders that are only taking games off kids (esp the Aints). look at Essendoom, they have done this for a decade & as it stands they are still a middle table side. In our case we invested in the Draft while at the top (despite what the "experts" want us to believe, funnily enough they are calling for us to go the "full Norf" route, no doubt so they can slam us for it in 3-4 yrs time when it backfires) and those kids are now getting a decent run at it. We need to keep investing in that area & keep building our next crop going fwd, especially this yr & next.

I’ve said it before , the value of TT and hopper will come to the fore with our next gen mids being exposed in absence of prestia , bakes and graham ,,,they will he,p shoulder the load ,,,haw lack this
We also need to try and ace some tall selections to set us up ,,,would love trainor on our list
Exactly, check out our inside mid #'s v WCE without JH or TT there, that'd be us every single week. Those 2 have a huge role to play going fwd for us. WEe are without both again v Freo this week so we'll probably see a repeat of that inside.

Doubt they’d let him go tbh , he’s a great example of our recruiters heads up their cracker with tall prospects , he was a bloody rookie
It happens.
Look at Bakes and Lambert.
Both WA sides who are chasing him now could've got him for nothing.
Same applies too Lambo.Right under Carltoons noses.

I'd rather avoid those "B Grade" types & draft those player types in ourselves, might even get better quality players that way. As we saw in '12-'16 those types only get u so far.
Agree, but I was merely using them as examples of players who have left premiership-contending clubs. To dispel the myth that it is impossible to achieve, in response to another poster who claimed that others (i.e. players we would get great value from) wouldn't be interested in coming to Richmond.

Taylor, Ballard or De Koning are exactly the key positional types we should be targeting as free agents, at no trade or draft pick cost whatsoever. You can bet Collingwood, Geelong and others will be.

Exactly, check out our inside mid #'s v WCE without JH or TT there, that'd be us every single week. Those 2 have a huge role to play going fwd for us. WEe are without both again v Freo this week so we'll probably see a repeat of that inside.
Need those $80 meals too protect those Happy Meals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back