List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey mods quick query…. I was on a Grandfinal winning team for the boards footy comp (SFA?) but my cup has been taken away ? Is there a reason? Was very pleased with that in my inaugural season in da comp. Cheers

How do we know their contracts don't don't get bumped up with the salary cap increase like most other contracts do though?

well if we can believe they are on $700-$750K and cry over that, then why cant we believe that that is what they are getting paid?

People can cry if they like IDGAF, but they reckon most clubs have included a percentage boost tied to the to the salary cap increase in their contracts. Essendon supposedly have not. We may not, no one really knows.

Its still worth mentioning is it not?

FWIW there was not a single mention if increases on their contracts in any report at the time or since, so I choose to believe it was pretty smart business with the longer contracts as both could have demanded more money and got it at other clubs.
Don't they say when first announced for example.Tiger Of Old has signed with Richmond on a 5yr deal worth 4 mil or 800k for 5yrs?

There is no way we are getting two first round picks with one of them being a top 5 pick for Baker. That is fantasy stuff. Secondly and I think it has been said above but Baker isn't going to tell us he is going until later in the year about the same time we hope he signs on.

I reckon he is gone too.
We will get one of Freos 3 picks between 8-13 and a future first, he is a proven winner & leader.

Getting a Lynch replacement will probably be the biggest challenge of our rebuild. I'd be throwing huge money at Sam Darcy. There's no way the Dogs could afford to have three key forwards on $1m+.
No Chance the Doggies let Darcy go or if he'd want to go.

Don't they say when first announced for example.Tiger Of Old has signed with Richmond on a 5yr deal worth 4 mil or 800k for 5yrs?
Yeah, but they're hardly going to say we've signed so and so for 5 years @ 5% of the cap per year. I can't remember where I read or heard it but one of the journos was saying most player contracts go up in line with the TPP increase.

Yeah, but they're hardly going to say we've signed so and so for 5 years @ 5% of the cap per year. I can't remember where I read or heard it but one of the journos was saying most player contracts go up in line with the TPP increase.
It doesnt make sense to have all contracts or most doing this, how the hell would you plan too far ahead?

How does any business with set EBA increases plan too far ahead? That's the list manager's job.
Have to agree to disagree on this one, I certainly haven't heard it being the norm and makes no sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesnt matter what happens this year
We will have a shed load of cap space available after 2025 with so many players contracts off the books due to retirement

Grimes
Pretia
Dusty
Lynch
Pickett
Cumberland
Baker
Broad

Just need to sign some of the kids that are showing signs of improvement to 3 year deals now

yeh most players have contracts that increase in line with the TPP, the only two clubs that are an exception are Essendon and West coast

Controversial opinion incoming...
Even if Baker wants to stay, I think we should trade him. He has high market value and is in a rare position where both WA clubs are falling over each other to get his signature.
We can really set up a strong future with the pick/s we get for him plus the array of picks we have already accumulated.

Controversial opinion incoming...
Even if Baker wants to stay, I think we should trade him. He has high market value and is in a rare position where both WA clubs are falling over each other to get his signature.
We can really set up a strong future with the pick/s we get for him plus the array of picks we have already accumulated.
I agree, baker won't be part of our next premiership, I think it's 2 picks for him, hopefully we nail one,and that player has 15 years ahead of them versus 5 or so from baker. We basically just need some leadership left to help the young players, which I think we will have.

I think part of our rebuild is opportunity. The 5 of 2021have had 3 years with all our leaders, they should be playing every game next year.

The north trade is an interesting one (prestia,mcintosh etx). I don't know if they'll give a good draft pick up, or whether we target a young player they have too many of? Either way we get something back for guys near the end is not a bad deal for us. Considering the contracts ending this year we could probably take a salary dump for a pick as well of another club needs one?

Is this draft OK? I feel we may end up with 7 or 8 picks in the top 40

This is just classic "other clubs do everything better than us" bullshit. Applying this logic, how certain are you that Freo didn't have Fiora higher? Not saying they did, but I guarantee that you have no idea.

Yes, we've made some shockers, but we've also nailed a few first rounders too. Built a ******* dynasty around Cotch, Martin, Riewoldt and Rance. Brace yourself, as this may shock you - but most clubs miss more than they hit.

Every club in the comp would eat their own s**t to have had the team success we had in 2017-2020.
I’m not saying other clubs do it better than us. Read what I replied to. I stated that Melbourne hadn’t errored when they missed Martin and took Scully / Trengove. Just that it was the expected draft order. I think Richmond ha drafted well. We need to get over draft misses 10 to 20 years ago. It’s all bullshite.

I can't recall a trade and free agency period and the subsequent draft that will be so crucial to the future of a club.
It's actually insane the wide array of potential implications...
  • Potential Baker trade (Both WA clubs interested - how we leverage the situation)
  • Potential Rioli trade (extracting one of their first round picks - likely the one closest to number 1)
  • Targeting Brisbane's first round pick with our slew of later picks as they will need points for the next Ashcroft)
  • End of Dusty's contract - which leads to a large amount of cap space, especially if one of, or both Baker and Rioli leave.
  • Other outgoing players - KMac (Trade), Grimes (Retire), Graham (FA), Pickett (Retire), Dusty (potentially retire)
  • Big fish? We have to use that cap space. A lot of it may already be spoken for based on how previous contract re-signings were structured but with the cap increase as well, we will have the ability to bring in a big name

We could realistically end up with 2-3 top 10 picks and maybe a marquee player.
This will significantly shape our future.

I can't recall a trade and free agency period and the subsequent draft that will be so crucial to the future of a club.
It's actually insane the wide array of potential implications...
  • Potential Baker trade (Both WA clubs interested - how we leverage the situation)
  • Potential Rioli trade (extracting one of their first round picks - likely the one closest to number 1)
  • Targeting Brisbane's first round pick with our slew of later picks as they will need points for the next Ashcroft)
  • End of Dusty's contract - which leads to a large amount of cap space, especially if one of, or both Baker and Rioli leave.
  • Other outgoing players - KMac (Trade), Grimes (Retire), Graham (FA), Pickett (Retire), Dusty (potentially retire)
  • Big fish? We have to use that cap space. A lot of it may already be spoken for based on how previous contract re-signings were structured but with the cap increase as well, we will have the ability to bring in a big name

We could realistically end up with 2-3 top 10 picks and maybe a marquee player.
This will significantly shape our future.
Must keep Dan Rioli.

He's currently at the top of his game and would be the first bloke picked atm.

Still another 5-7 years of footy left in him, and has been pivotal in shaping Maurice Minor.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back