List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Must keep Dan Rioli.

He's currently at the top of his game and would be the first bloke picked atm.

Still another 5-7 years of footy left in him, and has been pivotal in shaping Maurice Minor.
I'd also prefer to keep him but if he ends up wanting to leave, there's little benefit in holding him to his contract. Especially considering his current market value.

A top 10 pick is very hard to turn down for a bloke who plays on the half back flank. If we lose Grimes, Prestia, Martin, Rioli, Baker and Graham will we have enough leaders left to guide us through the rebuild?

We'd still have Nank, Lynch, Short, Vlastuin and Broad as leaders from the premiership era, but it would be starting to get a bit thin.

Suns heavily into Rioli per Clark. Could net the bulldogs pick apparently
Pick #8 + #9 otherwise he stays

Dimma would love his speed and run from HB and he did say 80% of the premiership team is already in the room and got 4 top kids last year and will get another in Lombard this year along with Rioli they are locked and loaded

I honestly believe they would pay that

Suns heavily into Rioli per Clark. Could net the bulldogs pick apparently
I'm coming around to the idea. If we could get picks 8 and 9 off GC for Rioli and a later pick, 12 off Freo for Baker and pick up Lions 1st round pick for a couple 2nd and 3rd rounders, plus our own pick 2 - that'd be picks 2, 6, 8, 9 and 12 as it stands.

Could even get real creative and target Crows or blues 1st pick for their father sons and we'd have 6 1st round picks. That's a full rebuild.

Having dribbled all that I can't see Rioli leaving.

Side note - Shocking news about the 2 x ACLs at the Lions but if the wheels fall off and they miss finals, thats a great opportunity for us as they'll still need to offload their 1st pick and we're in the best position to get it.

Love how excited people get when the potential for more R1 picks gets floated. It's like a drug addict being told they're getting an extra hit but they're going to have to give up their car to get it.

FWIW I'd be doing the following.

Keep either Baker or D.Rioli and trade the other, we can't let both go as it's too much experience walking out of the side at once given I expect were going to be losing Martin Grimes Pickett Prestia McIntosh & Graham as well.

If it's Baker that goes then get Fremantles best pick in this draft and maybe a future 2nd. If Daniel goes then I'd take 2 R1 picks but split thenm so we take 1 this year and 1 in 2025.

Grabbing a heap of R1 picks this year sounds great in theory but I believe we're better served getting 2-3 this year, then adding another 2-3 next year.

Remember we currently have picks 2, 22, 33, 40, 42, 51, 58, 66 & 68 to use this year, which will likely turn into 5 picks inside 40 by time the draft hits. By being smart we could end up with another 4-5 picks inside 30 next year as well and that is a better way to do the rebuild than putting everything into 1 draft.b

Must keep Dan Rioli.

He's currently at the top of his game and would be the first bloke picked atm.

Still another 5-7 years of footy left in him, and has been pivotal in shaping Maurice Minor.
No chance Rioli leaves.

Love how excited people get when the potential for more R1 picks gets floated. It's like a drug addict being told they're getting an extra hit but they're going to have to give up their car to get it.

FWIW I'd be doing the following.

Keep either Baker or D.Rioli and trade the other, we can't let both go as it's too much experience walking out of the side at once given I expect were going to be losing Martin Grimes Pickett Prestia McIntosh & Graham as well.

If it's Baker that goes then get Fremantles best pick in this draft and maybe a future 2nd. If Daniel goes then I'd take 2 R1 picks but split thenm so we take 1 this year and 1 in 2025.

Grabbing a heap of R1 picks this year sounds great in theory but I believe we're better served getting 2-3 this year, then adding another 2-3 next year.

Remember we currently have picks 2, 22, 33, 40, 42, 51, 58, 66 & 68 to use this year, which will likely turn into 5 picks inside 40 by time the draft hits. By being smart we could end up with another 4-5 picks inside 30 next year as well and that is a better way to do the rebuild than putting everything into 1 draft.b
Couldn’t agree more RT , I’m resigned to losing baker ,,,,,I get the feeling GC might give us plenty to think about
What if they offered jack Luk plus a r1 for rioli ,,,hmm
However
Rioli is one of the few qty players we have remaining and I believe along with TT is a genuine capt candidate . He’s a heart and soul type Dan , ffs we named a building after the family , that’s not the kinda player you hawk around unless it’s you’re only bargaining chip ,,,I’d honestly trade out lynch way before if some genuine 20-25 offers tabled

When will people realise that jornous throw out names just to create some content?
I'm sure 17 clubs would be asking about Rioli x 2, Balta, Sonsie, Brown ect....
I'm sure we are also asking about any B+ players for the lower clubs...
its just recruiters doing their job isnt it? that unfortunatley isnt a story though

I agree, baker won't be part of our next premiership, I think it's 2 picks for him, hopefully we nail one,and that player has 15 years ahead of them versus 5 or so from baker. We basically just need some leadership left to help the young players, which I think we will have.

I think part of our rebuild is opportunity. The 5 of 2021have had 3 years with all our leaders, they should be playing every game next year.
The advocating for players to get traded who "won't be apart of our next premiership" does my head in. Do we just trade away every player in this basket? Do you think players like Newman, Maric, Tuck, Chaplin, Foley, Deledio had no influence on how we carried ourselves in the years ahead? Riewoldt in his book outlined heaps of things that Newman introduced that was important in raising the standard of our culture. Likewise Maric. Experienced premiership players are invaluable and you don't just ship them off because of some arbitrary timeline we've invented. I wonder how many players were "not apart of our next flag" in 2016?

It's false in this case anyway. Baker is 26, we could easily be contending again in 4 or 5 years in which case he'd still be playing good footy and be a valuable leader. But that's not even the point. Whether he's apart of our next flag or not he can still leave a big legacy from this point onwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Lukoscious is gettable we should be ALL IN. A natural forward. Still Only 23
Natural forward?? We must be watching a different Jack Lukosious

He’s soft as butter, can’t mark overhead, can’t win his own ball..

I know he kicked alot of goals last year but only when he marked on the lead or cos of his booming kick..

He’s much more suited to the wing for sure.. or half back but wing is his spot imo

I don't think Daniel Rioli is having enough impact for us to say he's untouchable. Would I let him go for a top 10 pick? Yes.

If he was still playing decent footy as a forward, I'd say no we need to keep him. But he is just playing pretty well at half back, that's all. He is replaceable. Also he's old enough now that he might not be around for our next tilt, so if we can get a good deal, go for it.

If he wants out, it'll be win-win.

I don't think Daniel Rioli is having enough impact for us to say he's untouchable. Would I let him go for a top 10 pick? Yes.

If he was still playing decent footy as a forward, I'd say no we need to keep him. But he is just playing pretty well at half back, that's all. He is replaceable. Also he's old enough now that he might not be around for our next tilt, so if we can get a good deal, go for it.

If he wants out, it'll be win-win.
I couldnt stand to see him leave, would break the fabric and culture of the club.

If he did leave though, I couldnt see the club doing it for 1 single pick. I reckon they would demand a very very good player in addition to a top 10 pick

Natural forward?? We must be watching a different Jack Lukosious

He’s soft as butter, can’t mark overhead, can’t win his own ball..

I know he kicked alot of goals last year but only when he marked on the lead or cos of his booming kick..

He’s much more suited to the wing for sure.. or half back but wing is his spot imo
There's a reason Dimma keeps moving him around so much.

Dimma likes his key forwards to split packs and bring the ball to ground, and Lukosius isn't capable of that.

Would you still believe this, if he says he wants out?
Any one of our leaders that says they want out should be traded if the deal suits us.

Need them 100% invested to set the standards for the kids, otherwise you end up like North.

Any one of our leaders that says they want out should be traded if the deal suits us.

Need them 100% invested to set the standards for the kids, otherwise you end up like North.
That is right. If Rioli wants out and we can get an excellent deal due to his contract, We should do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back