List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Was watching the game last night, and really liked the look of Alex Davies (193cm).

In a half of game, had 12 disposals (4 contested) alongside 6 tackles (equal second most, only behind Rowell), 23 pressure acts (4th for the Suns, behind Rowell, Long and Miller), used the ball at 92% DE, and had 3 centre clearances (behind Moyle, equal with Miller, and more than Anderson and Rowell). I'll emphasise it again, he only played the second half the of the game.

I would not be opposed to picking him up if we're looking at trading in some younger, but ready to go talent.

big sexy will be 32 in october this year

if we can get a first rounder for him to a self proclaimed "contender" you do that deal

theres a few clubs without a key forward that think theyre in the window and a tall forward is the missing piece and will 100% give a first rounder

if we can get a first rounder for him to a self proclaimed "contender" you do that deal

theres a few clubs without a key forward that think theyre in the window and a tall forward is the missing piece and will 100% give a first rounder
Depends on where the first rounder lands. If it’s with a contender then that pick ends up in the early-mid 20s.

A mid-late teens pick youd have to look at.
Something closer to 25 would be a crap shoot in regards to quality.

Would also come down to who we also trade.
You don’t want to go down the north path where you tip out all the senior players and lose leadership and standards.

If Baker and Rioli go, that may be enough.

Jon Ralph reported that the Suns have put their 3 first round picks on the table when it comes to trying to acquire a running rebounding HB, not saying they'll trade all 3, but that they are open to using them to get a top quality player to fill that role. Wayne Campbell was asked about Daniel Rioli and said he's a contracted player, which could mean nothing or it could mean that they need Daniel to ask for a trade before they investigate further.

I know there is a lot of fascination with getting as many first round picks as possible from a number of posters on here, but multiple first round picks aren't always the answer. Carlton North GWS Gold Coast are loaded with first round talent and GWS has been the closest to winning a flag, while North and the Suns haven't even played finals and Carlton have made 1 finals appearance since 2013, while we went on to win 3 premierships despite being robbed of access to genuine top end talent when we started building our list under Hardwick back in 2010.

As I've said previously I'd be wanting to keep as many senior players around as possible because we've seen just how uncompetitive we are when we don't have a full compliment of senior players available to help guide the kids.

Jon Ralph reported that the Suns have put their 3 first round picks on the table when it comes to trying to acquire a running rebounding HB, not saying they'll trade all 3, but that they are open to using them to get a top quality player to fill that role. Wayne Campbell was asked about Daniel Rioli and said he's a contracted player, which could mean nothing or it could mean that they need Daniel to ask for a trade before they investigate further.

I know there is a lot of fascination with getting as many first round picks as possible from a number of posters on here, but multiple first round picks aren't always the answer. Carlton North GWS Gold Coast are loaded with first round talent and GWS has been the closest to winning a flag, while North and the Suns haven't even played finals and Carlton have made 1 finals appearance since 2013, while we went on to win 3 premierships despite being robbed of access to genuine top end talent when we started building our list under Hardwick back in 2010.

As I've said previously I'd be wanting to keep as many senior players around as possible because we've seen just how uncompetitive we are when we don't have a full compliment of senior players available to help guide the kids.
I don’t think we could afford to lose both Baker and Rioli

As we have more of those vets dropping off over the next few years (Grimes, Broad, Vlossy, Pickett ect those guys who were younger when we won our flags will be extremely important

It needs to be one or the other imo, they are at a very important age right now and the experience they have as premiership players but still young enough to be around for the next 5 or so years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph said that the suns would look to trade a first round pick plus pick 20 for a player like dan rioli, then use the other first round pick to draft a KPD as a succession plan for Sam Collins who is 29.

Unless it is two top 10 picks dan rioli stays. We will already likely have 3 top 15 picks come draft time, our pick, brisbane points exchange and then whatever happens with Baker. If graham, miller fetch high enough compo picks we could bundle some picks and move up again

Jon Ralph said that the suns would look to trade a first round pick plus pick 20 for a player like dan rioli, then use the other first round pick to draft a KPD as a succession plan for Sam Collins who is 29.

Unless it is two top 10 picks dan rioli stays. We will already likely have 3 top 15 picks come draft time, our pick, brisbane points exchange and then whatever happens with Baker. If graham, miller fetch high enough compo picks we could bundle some picks and move up again
Miller?

Yeah the fact that Rioli is locked in long term definitely gives us a lot of power in this situation and I don’t think Rioli is unhappy with us either

If anything more just an exercise of the suns kicking tyres and asking the question (can’t blame them for doing their due diligence)

But due to those two factors I think the offer the Gold Coast would need to make to us would need to be almost silly to even get us to entertain it like you mentioned two first rounds

Apparently is an unrestricted free agent this year, so we could very well lose him for nothing.
Based on nothing but just a feeling I think we will sign him for a decent mid term contract 3 - 4 years and he will happily agree

Talking too much sense G ,,,,,modssssssss I think this acct has been hacked

Yeah the fact that Rioli is locked in long term definitely gives us a lot of power in this situation and I don’t think Rioli is unhappy with us either

If anything more just an exercise of the suns kicking tyres and asking the question (can’t blame them for doing their due diligence)

But due to those two factors I think the offer the Gold Coast would need to make to us would need to be almost silly to even get us to entertain it like you mentioned two first rounds
2 x top 10 unrealistic , like 8 and 15,,, most would think we re flipping idiots if don’t agree , let’s see

Based on nothing but just a feeling I think we will sign him for a decent mid term contract 3 - 4 years and he will happily agree
I would like to see him and Gibcus as the key defenders next year, with Bauer possibly replacing Young as the 3rd tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back