List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Would think Short before Taranto(inside the club).
Don’t think that would make a difference Nank isn’t originally from Richmond and has the job and Lynch is one of his VC’s

Would also be doing ourselves a disservice if we aren’t appointing the best possible person for the job simply because they got drafted to another club and that’s a decision they have no power over

If Dan Rioli left what would happen with his uncle? Would he want to leave as well? What about Bolton if his mate Dan left? Keeping Dan is critical IMO.
I would like to keep Daniel as much as the next man (although that is as always on the proviso GC doesn't offer us a godfather deal).

However, I'm not sure about the presumption that if an aboriginal player leaves the club the others will inevitably aimlessly wander off into the wilderness is entire fair. I'm sure that Maurice and Shai would like Daniel to stay, but neither would they begrudge him a deal that will set him up for life.

Considering what the club has given them both, I'd be astounded if Daniel leaving or staying would be some kind of deal breaker for them.

If Dan Rioli left what would happen with his uncle? Would he want to leave as well? What about Bolton if his mate Dan left? Keeping Dan is critical IMO.
That’s been my gut instinct that it would tear at the indigenous culture we’ve built that’s meant the bruz all wanna stay together , who knows what impact that’d have , I’m not sure it’d be positive . I also see Dan with leadership qualities

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Ralph reported that the Suns have put their 3 first round picks on the table when it comes to trying to acquire a running rebounding HB, not saying they'll trade all 3, but that they are open to using them to get a top quality player to fill that role. Wayne Campbell was asked about Daniel Rioli and said he's a contracted player, which could mean nothing or it could mean that they need Daniel to ask for a trade before they investigate further.

I know there is a lot of fascination with getting as many first round picks as possible from a number of posters on here, but multiple first round picks aren't always the answer. Carlton North GWS Gold Coast are loaded with first round talent and GWS has been the closest to winning a flag, while North and the Suns haven't even played finals and Carlton have made 1 finals appearance since 2013, while we went on to win 3 premierships despite being robbed of access to genuine top end talent when we started building our list under Hardwick back in 2010.

As I've said previously I'd be wanting to keep as many senior players around as possible because we've seen just how uncompetitive we are when we don't have a full compliment of senior players available to help guide the kids.
If Rioli wants out then I won’t stand in his way. If we can get an early pick for him then that’s ok as well.

If Rioli wants out then I won’t stand in his way. If we can get an early pick for him then that’s ok as well.
If any player asks to leave then, then by all means move them on as there is no point keeping anyone not wanting to be here. At the same time though we can't go losing a heap more than what we're likely to lose already otherwise we run the risk of becoming a genuine cellar dweller instead of being there because of the injuries.

It’s time to put Balta back now.

He was the number two intercept defender in the game, we are struggling greatly to contain and he would help Miller and Young no end. Always build from the back.

Vlastuin Miller Broad
Rioli Balta Brown

That’s my defence.

I will then like Bauer and Ryan to come into that forward line.

Was watching the game last night, and really liked the look of Alex Davies (193cm).

In a half of game, had 12 disposals (4 contested) alongside 6 tackles (equal second most, only behind Rowell), 23 pressure acts (4th for the Suns, behind Rowell, Long and Miller), used the ball at 92% DE, and had 3 centre clearances (behind Moyle, equal with Miller, and more than Anderson and Rowell). I'll emphasise it again, he only played the second half the of the game.

I would not be opposed to picking him up if we're looking at trading in some younger, but ready to go talent.
Davies butchers the ball unfortunately.

It’s time to put Balta back now.

He was the number two intercept defender in the game, we are struggling greatly to contain and he would help Miller and Young no end. Always build from the back.

Vlastuin Miller Broad
Rioli Balta Brown

That’s my defence.

I will then like Bauer and Ryan to come into that forward line.
Balta deserves a full season to show what he can do as a forward. Next year we reassess.

Was watching the game last night, and really liked the look of Alex Davies (193cm).

In a half of game, had 12 disposals (4 contested) alongside 6 tackles (equal second most, only behind Rowell), 23 pressure acts (4th for the Suns, behind Rowell, Long and Miller), used the ball at 92% DE, and had 3 centre clearances (behind Moyle, equal with Miller, and more than Anderson and Rowell). I'll emphasise it again, he only played the second half the of the game.

I would not be opposed to picking him up if we're looking at trading in some younger, but ready to go talent.
Agreed, but he’s not going anywhere

Agreed, but he’s not going anywhere

Agree that Gold Coast probably don't want to lose him, but has Miller, Anderson, Rowell, Flanders, Humphrey, Roger, Graham and potentially Lombard all ahead of him in terms of midfielders (not counting player like Fiorini either, who was drafted as an inside mid, but pushed out of the centre), so wouldn't be surprised if he asked for a trade for more game time.

Gaz Jr, Tom Libba, Nick Daicos, Tom Mitchell all looked undersized.

1715971843677.png

Melbourne wasn’t to know No.1 draft pick Tom Scully would leave for GWS two years after accepting Ron Barassi’s famous No.31.

1/10
Melbourne wasn’t to know No.1 draft pick Tom Scully would leave for GWS two years after accepting Ron Barassi’s famous No.31.

Brad Moran was the first Kangaroo to wear No.18 after Wayne Carey - for three games in 2006-07. Then he left for Adelaide where he inherited Carey’s No.2.

2/10
Brad Moran was the first Kangaroo to wear No.18 after Wayne Carey - for three games in 2006-07. Then he left for Adelaide where he inherited Carey’s No.2.

St Kilda thought was a safe bet handing Robert Harvey’s famous No.35 to first-round draft pick Jamie Cripps. After two seasons Cripps left and is now at the Eagles.

3/10
St Kilda thought was a safe bet handing Robert Harvey’s famous No.35 to first-round draft pick Jamie Cripps. After two seasons Cripps left and is now at the Eagles.

Richmond hasn’t had much luck with No.29 since it was worn by games record-holder Kevin Bartlett. It was bestowed on 2003 draftee Alex Gilmour but he never played a game in yellow and black.

4/10
Richmond hasn’t had much luck with No.29 since it was worn by games record-holder Kevin Bartlett. It was bestowed on 2003 draftee Alex Gilmour but he never played a game in yellow and black.

After Gilmour was delisted No.29 was handed to Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, but he was gone after 13 games in four seasons.

5/10
After Gilmour was delisted No.29 was handed to Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls, but he was gone after 13 games in four seasons.

Richmond father-son picks Andrew Raines and Tom Roach were goers but neither matched the deeds of their dads. Roach played 11 games (just three in No.8) while Raines is now a Lion.

6/10
Richmond father-son picks Andrew Raines and Tom Roach were goers but neither matched the deeds of their dads. Roach played 11 games (just three in No.8) while Raines is now a Lion.

Bulldogs legend Chris Grant handed his No.3 to the Bulldogs’ top pick in the 2006 draft, Andrejs Everitt. He played 36 games for the Dogs before being traded to Sydney and then Carlton.

7/10
Bulldogs legend Chris Grant handed his No.3 to the Bulldogs’ top pick in the 2006 draft, Andrejs Everitt. He played 36 games for the Dogs before being traded to Sydney and then Carlton.

No.3 has a chequered history out west. The jumper of legend Ted Whitten was handed to teenage prodigy Alan Stoneham (left) before he played a game to convince him to join the club. After 128 games Stoneham transferred to Essendon in 1980 where he was infamously knocked out in a game against Hawthorn in 1983.

8/10
No.3 has a chequered history out west. The jumper of legend Ted Whitten was handed to teenage prodigy Alan Stoneham (left) before he played a game to convince him to join the club. After 128 games Stoneham transferred to Essendon in 1980 where he was infamously knocked out in a game against Hawthorn in 1983.

Dogs recruit Farren Ray in 2004 with John Kerr, who wore No.1 in the 1954 premiership side. Ray is now a Saint.

9/10
Dogs recruit Farren Ray in 2004 with John Kerr, who wore No.1 in the 1954 premiership side. Ray is now a Saint.

Danyle Pearce was an instant success in Warren Tredrea’s No.16, winning the AFL Rising Star Award in 2006. But two years later he moved to No.6, a number he took with him when he switched to Fremantle.

10/10
Danyle Pearce was an instant success in Warren Tredrea’s No.16, winning the AFL Rising Star Award in 2006. But two years later he moved to No.6, a number he took with him when he switched to Fremantle.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back