List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont know except players staying usually commit during the season. Dont care where he goes if he does, but we will want maximum trade value in that case, naturally.
Naturally... the giants and saints have had a good working relationship (you've given us a few nice players) so if I'm stkilda im not putting up much of a fight, as long as it's within reason.
Is picks 7&8 getting it done or would GWS want players?

Dont know except players staying usually commit during the season. Dont care where he goes if he does, but we will want maximum trade value in that case, naturally.
I'm the same. Obviously would love for him to stay, but 2 first rounders (one this and one next) with nothing going back from our end other than Josh would be what I would demand for him, wherever he goes.

Naturally... the giants and saints have had a good working relationship (you've given us a few nice players) so if I'm stkilda im not putting up much of a fight, as long as it's within reason.
Works for me

Hopefully it eventuates then. Obviously Kelly is a Star but he's exactly what the saints need as well.
I'm hoping GWS win the flag because I'm a bitter saints fan and don't want to see many supporters happy.

Last edited:
Hopefully it eventuates then. Obviously Kelly is a Star but he's exactly what the saints need as well. I'm hoping GWS win the flag because I'm a bitter saints fan and don't want to see many supported happy.
:p Hah, we'll take it (support, best wishes, whatever you want to call it) however we can!

For mine, in answer to your original question, I think that we're all just shrugging our shoulders with no inside inkling of what Josh will do ... but must of us look at that money and think that it's pretty hard for him to turn it down (and no hard feelings if he does leave) ... but hold that 20% hope that some loyalty and a view that time is on his side regarding future contract value might give us 2 more years. (There's a couple of posters claiming inside knowledge, one going each way of leave & stay.) Of course, if GWS were to win the flag, I'd suspect he would be off home ... success and money = easier decision.

I think 2 first rounders gets the job done, similar to Treloar. GWS might prefer one this year and one next depending on how they rate this year's talent; but given that Adrian Caruso has stated on Road to the Draft that he thinks this year is pretty reasonable, then 6 & 8 or whatever Saints have might be fine ... if Saints can win Josh over on the personal terms.

Last year yes, next year yes, but this year 7 and 8 wont get you the same class of player, 7 and next year's first much more likely to be asked for should he nominate the Saints

With hopper re-signing i am interested as to how close to the mark you guys reckon picks 21 and 52 from geelong for smith are or whether we need to add more in?
Think we need to assess. It's an odd time to re-sign to me, and might mean other announcements are imminent.

Think we need to assess. It's an odd time to re-sign to me, and might mean other announcements are imminent.

True. Any announcements now would only be re-signings if you have a player leaving he won't announce until after finals (this is the same with us and motlop and menzel).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With hopper re-signing i am interested as to how close to the mark you guys reckon picks 21 and 52 from geelong for smith are or whether we need to add more in?
IMHO, Smith is worth a late first round pick, #14-18, so #21 + #52 would be right on the money. However, there are others (and Bokonon is one) who rate Smith as worth more than that and therefore would want more. My view is that it's still largely dependent on Kelly - if he stays and Smith consequently goes (due lack of $ to meet his demands and stay within TPP) then I believe that GWS would be pragmatic and not hold out for a huge price. Geelong still need to take other draft picks so can't afford to give away too many picks for one player.

IMHO, Smith is worth a late first round pick, #14-18, so #21 + #52 would be right on the money. However, there are others (and Bokonon is one) who rate Smith as worth more than that and therefore would want more. My view is that it's still largely dependent on Kelly - if he stays and Smith consequently goes (due lack of $ to meet his demands and stay within TPP) then I believe that GWS would be pragmatic and not hold out for a huge price. Geelong still need to take other draft picks so can't afford to give away too many picks for one player.
I dont want him to go, short term form issues and possibly injury concerns aside. His call, but he's repeatedly made it clear he doesn't want to go. Did see a little frustration from him when talking about Kelly's future which suggests to me it is a cap issue.

Good points thanks for the insight. On the bolded I don't think we will be that bothered- in 2015 we traded all our picks in the first 3 rounds and entered the draft at 59 and last year we took a lot of late picks which we have a good success rate with in recent years (guys like Murdoch Bews Kolodashnij Gregson McCarthy Menegola Ruggles Parsons etc all picked outside the top 40) so if we don't hugely rate the draft we won't be picky about trading picks for established talent and entering the draft late. In recent years Wells has seemed to be fairly happy to trade picks pretty quickly if it closes the deal on trades for players he wants.

On the actual trade I suggested just what I thought might be ballpark. If we have a pick in the mid to late 30s (pending FA compo and the like we probably will) I wouldn't be against that and 21 for Smith and a 3rd rounder but given you guys don't currently have a third rounder I didn't bother suggesting it.

I do wonder how much free agency will be a factor in something like this, all the stuff I have read this year seems to suggest you guys want him to stay and he has a preference to stay but if I was a list manager I would not really be wanting guys like Shiel Smith Coniglio Haynes Tomlinson ending up being free agents at the same time that would scare me a whole lot in terms of management. I wonder if there will end up being a bit of 'we want you to stay long term but if you are thinking of going home at any stage go now not in 2 years' with this stuff.

Anyway all the best for the finals guys hope you go well.

Nice but will believe it when an announcement happens.
They change their mind every 3 mins.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
We all look for little signs, but Kelly was one of yhe last out there signing stuff this morning. He and Cal ward. Smith on the other hand wasn't out there very long among the crowd. Had brief chat with Griff - sounded very flat and very non-commital about next year. If I had to bet, money would be on him hanging up the boots. Looks like he is no chance for a surprise return during finals as his ankle still isn't 100%.

We all look for little signs, but Kelly was one of yhe last out there signing stuff this morning. He and Cal ward. Smith on the other hand wasn't out there very long among the crowd. Had brief chat with Griff - sounded very flat and very non-commital about next year. If I had to bet, money would be on him hanging up the boots. Looks like he is no chance for a surprise return during finals as his ankle still isn't 100%.
I've seen Ward hanging over the fence when he sees kids, and offerring photos in the pre warm up at Manuka where there's no real separation. Seems to be his nature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back