Opinion Trade Period Review: Embarrassing or Stayed Strong?

Your thoughts on the Gibbs non-trade?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Barlow? Ugh. Another player we'll play over our young mids
If it's ahead of Thompson then I don't think it would be the worst option although it'll probably hurt CEY who I'd love to see have a real crack at it.

Maybe he's more cooked than I believe but I still feel he was played out of position for the most part this season which hurt his output. Guess it's a worry that he was pushed out of the midfield but Freo's core mids are pretty strong in the same areas as Barlow but better so I can kind of understand it.

If it's ahead of Thompson then I don't think it would be the worst option although it'll probably hurt CEY who I'd love to see have a real crack at it.

Maybe he's more cooked than I believe but I still feel he was played out of position for the most part this season which hurt his output. Guess it's a worry that he was pushed out of the midfield but Freo's core mids are pretty strong in the same areas as Barlow but better so I can kind of understand it.

Freo's midfield was Neale and Mundy for most of the season and even then Barlow was dropped to the WAFL a few times

Look I absolutely respect your posting and the generally positive slant you prefer to take.

For me there is just no polishing the turd that is trade period inactivity.
Roo and Fagan highlighted the issue of the few players that were available AND we rated, none wanted to come.

Port have already shown us the folly of becoming a destination by throwing dollars. The all costs approach is not the way to go..... whether it is ¥£€$ or 2 1st rounders.

This is a broader issue that the club MUST address. But it is not one Reid Roo or Fagan could fix during this trade period.

We knew 2016 was light on for FA and out of contract players. This was discussed all year on trade target threads so I'm surprised people think there was really someone else available to get. We've been freaking saying it all year that the talent we want is thin on the ground.

Who would you have got? How would you have got him? How much would you have paid? If there are realistic answers you can provide, I'll fire up and tweet Fages that the club has lost the plot.

You'd hope he'd have a little in the tank being 28 (29 when the next season starts), but I doubt you'd want to give him more than 2 cheap years.

And it's probably not a huge priority since we kept Thompson. Don't need two slow, potentially cooked midfielders riding the pine.

Make a break year for CEY though and bringing in Barlow would probably mean he's definitely not making it.

You'd hope he'd have a little in the tank being 28 (29 when the next season starts), but I doubt you'd want to give him more than 2 cheap years.

And it's probably not a huge priority since we kept Thompson. Don't need two slow, potentially cooked midfielders riding the pine.

Make a break year for CEY though and bringing in Barlow would probably mean he's definitely not making it.
Bringing in Barlow does not represent "Organic Growth" (I'm not taking the piss here)

Roo and Fagan highlighted the issue of the few players that were available AND we rated, none wanted to come.

Port have already shown us the folly of becoming a destination by throwing dollars. The all costs approach is not the way to go..... whether it is ¥£€$ or 2 1st rounders.

This is a broader issue that the club MUST address. But it is not one Reid Roo or Fagan could fix during this trade period.

We knew 2016 was light on for FA and out of contract players. This was discussed all year on trade target threads so I'm surprised people think there was really someone else available to get. We've been freaking saying it all year that the talent we want is thin on the ground.

Who would you have got? How would you have got him? How much would you have paid? If there are realistic answers you can provide, I'll fire up and tweet Fages that the club has lost the plot.
I will spare you the job, I've already tweeted both Fagan and Roo saying I thought the fans deserved a proper explanation - not just about Gibbs, but if drafting was plan A then why we didn't trade for better position.

You keep asking the same question - who would have I got. I keep answering the same - if there wasn't a player then improve our draft.

What do you think those teams swapping picks were doing. It's supposedly the best mid draft in years and we have 1 pick under 43. Do you think that's acceptable when our strategy was to go to the draft?

Which ever way you want to cut it, inactivity in trade period is a fail, that's why every other team is active.

Freo's midfield was Neale and Mundy for most of the season and even then Barlow was dropped to the WAFL a few times
More meant going into round 1 he was on the outer with Fyfe/Mundy/Neale ahead with them being strong inside mids who they obviously believed were better uses of the ball ahead of Barlow.

By the time two of them were injured he had back to back games with 32 and 33 touches. Why Ross decided to drop him after a 15 disposal game after those, I'm not sure.

The only reason he came out of the team the second time was due to a broken finger and on his return he did the shoulder injury which finished off his season.

At the start of trade week I thought we were going to add Gibbs and Rockliff to our lineup and give it a real go.

We left with nothing.

I agree we shouldn't have caved to Carlton, but our trade week was nothing short of disappointing. I would have been fine with paying overs for Gibbs if we got Rockliff for a discount. If that meant trading out 2 firsts and next years second for these 2, so be it.

Played it safe... The AFC way.

It occurs to me, in a fog of Glenfiddich, that the "organic growth" statement is flawed. If we were counting on that, then we didn't need pick 13, nor next year's pick, because adding Gibbs to the organic growth equation would, using the club's logic, have been sufficient to propel us to genuine contenders.

I'm not saying I agree, but when you analyse the statement from Roo, Reid and co, you realise how illogical it really is.

Bringing in Barlow does not represent "Organic Growth" (I'm not taking the piss here)
I hope to buggary Barlow doesn't come to AFC. I've seen a fair bit of him. Has never really been the same since he broke his leg. He can't kick if his life depended on it either. Worse than our old mate Clanger.

Roo defended it on MMM and Fages sent out an email repeating the same rubbish Reid said. Thats a problem.
Want to put a wager on Thomo playing no more than 8 games?
Yeah I do.

I will spare you the job, I've already tweeted both Fagan and Roo saying I thought the fans deserved a proper explanation - not just about Gibbs, but if drafting was plan A then why we didn't trade for better position.

You keep asking the same question - who would have I got. I keep answering the same - if there wasn't a player then improve our draft.

What do you think those teams swapping picks were doing. It's supposedly the best mid draft in years and we have 1 pick under 43. Do you think that's acceptable when our strategy was to go to the draft?

Which ever way you want to cut it, inactivity in trade period is a fail, that's why every other team is active.
This.

They failed, they thought Lyons was going to get us that pick in the 20s and they couldn't even manage that. If it was the other way around you know we would have. We bent over for Seedsman, Hampton and Menzel.

They thought Hendo would get us a second Rd compo pick but the other clubs were smart enough to know they could get him without giving us that pick.

They thought they could outfox Carlton they were wrong.

Rowey asked Reid if we missed not having a Noble, Reid responded with he was involved in all our trades last year so he has experience.

We need to cut our losses and * him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What exactly have Port shown us?

It's a bit early to say it hasn't worked. Ryder and Dixon have both only played one year and their issues are not just a couple of players away from fixing.

Us on the other hand have a much better balanced team that just needed 2 quality mids.

Our forward line is already the best in the comp.
Our defence is very good and will get better.

It's plainly obvious that if we boosted our midfield then we would be a real contender. If there ever was a club that should have bitten the bullet and made some quality mids godfather offers it was us.

Last edited:

Barlow is 192cm though too he towers over Thompson

I was hoping we were going to at least try and get into the top 10 with 13 and Lyons for 8 from GC. They never backed away from the Gibbs trade so they would of never offered 13 to anyone else, because they believed Carlton would give in, they had tunnel vision

You do realise we were a flag smokey going into the finals .....and Bulldogs were simply making up the numbers

But yeah you're right, the club has done a s**t job since Tippett-gate ......and they're delusional, and you're not :rolleyes:
Is English your first language?
I said that the club thinks we dont need to bring in any midfielders after losing Danger and Lyons is delusional.
If you agree with them then you know nothing about football.

Is English your first language?
I said that the club thinks we dont need to bring in any midfielders after losing Danger and Lyons is delusional.
If you agree with them then you know nothing about football.
Who from the club has ever ever said that !

Suggest you listen to Roo's response on his radio site

His name says it all. We're setting the bar pretty low if we bring in someone who could barely get a game with Freo last year

Pretty sure he didn't have any trouble getting games off his own merit - just missed a game or two when their season was already in the toilet? Probably so they could test out how their team would go without him. Hes just a dead end despite being best 22 for Freo.

That's the thing, he's a known quantity and not good enough for his age. I agree with his name being apt Barlow no go.

Back