Mega Thread Trade Targets 2018 (2018 Trade Period Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know. I understand this, but we need to beat Port to it, as they would be planning similarly.
Teams with earlier picks will sit back and consider all offers before they decide whether to trade the picks or not. Just because Port come in and offer XYZ it doesn’t mean Gold Coast says sure where do I sign. They talk to Adelaide and see what is on offer there and the. Choose what they think is the best deal for them. Teams with early picks are not in a hurry to trade them to earliest bidder.

Teams with earlier picks will sit back and consider all offers before they decide whether to trade the picks or not. Just because Port come in and offer XYZ it doesn’t mean Gold Coast says sure where do I sign. They talk to Adelaide and see what is on offer there and the. Choose what they think is the best deal for them. Teams with early picks are not in a hurry to trade them to earliest bidder.

Plus there is the issue this year of the pick trading continuing well past the player trading options close and then live trading at the draft itself. This year is a very new thing and will be interesting to see how clubs attack it.

I don’t subscribe to this theory to get it done early so that we can concentrate on upgrading picks.

Fact is McGovern is a key component in us attempting to upgrade our draft order and what we get for him will be key in trying to move up. There is no reason why Carlton cannot be brought into the convesation on a 3 team trade with say GC for us to move up the draft order, once all the parties are happy with the outcome you make a trade. McGovern deal does not have to be done before we move onto another deal. This is David Noble’s spin on the Dangerfield trade. McGovern is an integral part of us possibly moving up the draft order. He becomes part of that deal and you don’t trade him unless the rest of the dominoes are lined up and ready to fall!
Can't disagree with anything you've said. However, it's the Port angle that concerns me (if we are planning to trade up). Once they trade Polec, their trade capital (assuming they get pick 10 from North) will be comparable to ours. I feel like it's a little bit of a race.

Can't disagree with anything you've said. However, it's the Port angle that concerns me (if we are planning to trade up). Once they trade Polec, their trade capital (assuming they get pick 10 from North) will be comparable to ours. I feel like it's a little bit of a race.
Clubs dont really work like that though.

It's not because if they are just doing pick trading, that goes on until the 16th November! While player trades finishes on 17 October, a month earlier!

After initially thinking the McGovern trade would occur on the last day or so, I now think that it might happen sooner rather than later. This trade would obviously be a very important component in any attempt to maneuver our way into the top-3, and we need (if that's what we are planning) to beat Port to the punch. What do y'all think about the likely timing of the McGovern trade?
Can't see it personally when the only 2018 1st round pick they hold is #1 and I'm nor seeing them parting with that until all the A graders currently under discussion are off the table, and even then I think it will be almost impossible to get them to part with it. McGovern is not in the A grade discussion, at this point he is still only a 'potential' A Grader no matter what way Adelaide supporters try to spin it.

2 guys in your side on over 1mil kills your cap, unless Gaff did indeed stay for less money.

It's a unique year, though. 4 top-notch SA lads + Port and Crows with similar draft hands. Will be very interesting.
It's also a year where clubs wont hand over picks that high very easy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not because if they are just doing pick trading, that goes on until the 16th November! While player trades finishes on 17 October, a month earlier!
The pick trading period between October 18 - November 16 will be of little use to us, if Port has already worked there way into pole-position prior to October 18. This is the point I'm trying to make.

Are you of the opinion that GC, for example, will only contemplate trading their early picks after the first player/pick trading period? That may be the case, I don't know. I'm just 'thinking' out aloud, so to speak.

The pick trading period between October 18 - November 16 will be of little use to us, if Port has already worked there way into pole-position prior to October 18. This is the point I'm trying to make.

Are you of the opinion that GC, for example, will only contemplate trading their early picks after the first player/pick trading period? That may be the case, I don't know. I'm just 'thinking' out aloud, so to speak.
Suns would be wise to keep their picks as they are.

That’s what we have to avoid. It won’t come down to who makes an offer first, but if we come in into the trade period trying to get all our deals done as quickly as possible at expense of receive good value, it makes look desperate.

That’s what we have to avoid. It won’t come down to who makes an offer first, but if we come in into the trade period trying to get all our deals done as quickly as possible at expense of receive good value, it makes look desperate.
Weve never done it before and I'm not sure we would this week.

I reckon people are making more of it than there is to make.

Yeah, you not the club want to keep him real bad, yet the club re-contract the guy that's his main opponent for a game....on a rookie pay packet as depth is what your club wants.
Whatever, he's been gone for a while, you've had your meathooks in him since July.He is a good player, I don't care about draft picks, I'm just saying he's a quality player.He was competing against Rioli, Butler, Castagna, Higgins, Caddy and Edwards for a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back