Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Very basic training report but notes I took watching training. Couldn't make it Friday and no match sim today so a bit disappointed.

Clarko was talking a lot about pressuring the opposition towards the boundary line. After the drill was finished Clarko went over to Leigh Adams and the other AC to talk about it. Throughout the session Clarko stopped the drills to praise whoever was keeping the opposition boundary side when defending. Also, when defending the opposition as they are coming out of D50, it appears we are sitting back off them 20 metres or so trying to force them into the chip chip game.

When we bring the ball out of D50 and are attacking Clarko kept saying the word slingshot, I like the sounds of that. He was talking about it as if it's a recipe. One 'something' - I didn't catch, and then one slingshot. Hopefully a recipe for success.

Archer getting a lot of praise for his pressure, colour me shocked. After this drill he pretty much did interval running around the boundary for the rest of training.

Bailey Scott is talking a lot and seems a natural at it in his new role.

Finnbar is a great size but no way he plays AFL this year if I was to guess. His kicking action takes so long and will absolutely hold him back when we need to move the ball fast. He is a great mark overhead though but still undersized.

Biggie is a much better kick and I don't see how he doesn't play with our lack of back depth. Plus he just seems like a good player.

Will Dawson is the future. Taller than CCJ and will be a beast physically, already competing as a twig. His kicking seem a to be elite and he can kick it far as * with a lot of penetration.

CCJ seems to be strictly a forward. Him and Raph Clarke seem to be close and were talking constantly about where to be. Hopefully he unlocks something here.

No McKercher out there which broke my heart. Duursma's skills are absolutely elite and has sticky fingers rarely fumbling handpasses or marks.

George Wardlaw's single leg is actually the size of both of mine put together. It's absolutely fuuuucked. Also, he is so much chattier than I thought, he reminds me of Libba with his cheek.

Fuxk it was hot in the sun.
Thanks so much Rooboy 96, love me a training update with your insights to Clarko talking and the boys kicking 🙂✨👍

First report…all from memory so be kind….

Started with early handball, volleyball kicking games. Mixing it up, the boys having a bit of fun, with plenty of voice and encouragement from the group. Other end of the ground pairs doing 30M short kicks to each other.

3 on 1 in a large and then small space. Finbar the only “1” at my end of the ground able to get a hand in, albeit against Free who is pretty awkward at everything.

Next drill was transition run starting back through to lead up on the wing to short kick centre, handball to runner kicking long forward. Some really nice kicks and flow, lots of encouragement. Didn’t realise how good a kick B. George is, if he has the fitness base, I don’t see how he is not playing in the first half of the season.

At this point Colby was off on the side. Did some short running with LUD, and Curtis and then packed it in for the day to work on his sun tan! Not sure if he had a niggle as he talked for a while with the staff on the side.

Sheez was off from the start (came on later to do some goal kicking). Ford running laps - looked to be moving ok, and then shots at goal with Sheez. With Zurhar also sitting out the rest of the session - just doing some goal kicking.

Was followed by a drill to set up D50 and bring the ball out of the backline, with switching across half back as others provide pressure coming back to goal. This is the drill that Clarko got quite involved in, barking instructions and resting a number of times. Chom actually had some nice kicks coming out, and quite vocal on the positioning. Biggie and B. George also really good.

B. George and Scott providing some fast run and link up. I take this as the "slingshot" r00boy96 was describing. It looked to me to be once you have a mark outside of D50 in a hard press, how to break the line through the mid press, by using a runner breaking from behind.

There was a big run down from behind by B. George on Duursma that got a lot of calls of great work “sausage”. Duursma gliding through and taking a bit too long before being nailed.

As r00boy96 reported, Will Dawson is going to be a really good player, he looks taller the CJ and was in a few intercepts/spoils coming back the other way in the end to end D50 drill.

Finished with some 1-1 marking for the talls and hand skills for mids and others. Will Dawson did ok in 1-1, but is supper skinny, easily pushed around and will need to put some weight on (pretty obvious I know). Pink was ok, but didn’t standout for me in the drills, that badge goes to Biggie.

I was a bit biased to watching the young ones…Brayden George was the standout, applied himself 100% to every drill. Great kick, seems quick and looking to provide good link up run and carry in the transition & D50 drills.

Special mention - Wil Phil - nailed a nice long kick into the forward line - he can kick it more than 30m!

Good write up Couchy . Did you happen to see Brayden George kick a perfect torp from the centre square late in the session and it went through goal post high? 60+ metre kick. But as you mentioned, his field kicking also caught the eye.

Agreed.

Riley bonner was out for “up to a month” with surgery required in his cheekbone and eye socket.

Xerri will be a month as well but will be able to run and train fully providing no contact.

It’s 2 months before round 1.
At least X can get fit if he does end up with a cheek bone fracture .. AND the other players will be relieved not having him in match sim… he pile drives or shirt fronts a roo every hit out 😂

We saw the same things. Brayden George is going to elite, his kicking is so good. I can't wait to watch him play. You can tell he is a team favourite, it feels like all I heard was 'sausage' this and 'sausage' that haha.

WillPhil's kicking is elite too despite what some may say in here. Also I think he is the best handball in our team.

I agree Biggie was the standout for the backs. He glides in the across the field so fluidly and is a good kick. As a fellow Rowville Secondary alumni I'm wishing he succeeds.
First report…all from memory so be kind….

Started with early handball, volleyball kicking games. Mixing it up, the boys having a bit of fun, with plenty of voice and encouragement from the group. Other end of the ground pairs doing 30M short kicks to each other.

3 on 1 in a large and then small space. Finbar the only “1” at my end of the ground able to get a hand in, albeit against Free who is pretty awkward at everything.

Next drill was transition run starting back through to lead up on the wing to short kick centre, handball to runner kicking long forward. Some really nice kicks and flow, lots of encouragement. Didn’t realise how good a kick B. George is, if he has the fitness base, I don’t see how he is not playing in the first half of the season.

At this point Colby was off on the side. Did some short running with LUD, and Curtis and then packed it in for the day to work on his sun tan! Not sure if he had a niggle as he talked for a while with the staff on the side.

Sheez was off from the start (came on later to do some goal kicking). Ford running laps - looked to be moving ok, and then shots at goal with Sheez. With Zurhar also sitting out the rest of the session - just doing some goal kicking.

Was followed by a drill to set up D50 and bring the ball out of the backline, with switching across half back as others provide pressure coming back to goal. This is the drill that Clarko got quite involved in, barking instructions and resting a number of times. Chom actually had some nice kicks coming out, and quite vocal on the positioning. Biggie and B. George also really good.

B. George and Scott providing some fast run and link up. I take this as the "slingshot" r00boy96 was describing. It looked to me to be once you have a mark outside of D50 in a hard press, how to break the line through the mid press, by using a runner breaking from behind.

There was a big run down from behind by B. George on Duursma that got a lot of calls of great work “sausage”. Duursma gliding through and taking a bit too long before being nailed.

As r00boy96 reported, Will Dawson is going to be a really good player, he looks taller the CJ and was in a few intercepts/spoils coming back the other way in the end to end D50 drill.

Finished with some 1-1 marking for the talls and hand skills for mids and others. Will Dawson did ok in 1-1, but is supper skinny, easily pushed around and will need to put some weight on (pretty obvious I know). Pink was ok, but didn’t standout for me in the drills, that badge goes to Biggie.

I was a bit biased to watching the young ones…Brayden George was the standout, applied himself 100% to every drill. Great kick, seems quick and looking to provide good link up run and carry in the transition & D50 drills.

Special mention - Wil Phil - nailed a nice long kick into the forward line - he can kick it more than 30m!

I’m not a Curtis Taylor fan but I will say he did a job on Zach Merrett in game 2 against * last year. seeing Merrett struggle get into the game was a sight to behold
Love this reminder that CT did a job in first half but f the * game last year. Something to hope for with the young fella 👍

I don't know exactly what the whirlpool is but what we were did seem to be doing the same thing over and over exiting D50. Essentially we would get the ball out of the 50 and as soon as it crossed the 50 we were obviously pinned against the boundary as most kick outs tend to go. And then we would use the space on the other side of the ground to try and switch fast and then 'slingshot' through the corridor or along the wing we had switched the ball to. If you can read that and visualise it to make sense of those words.
Whirlpool, is an old {make} {brand} washing machine. Auto ones came out in the 50s but I think they first come on the market in USA around 1911. The old phrase used was "Guess whose mums got a Whirlpool".
Vintage History GIF by Beeld & Geluid

Good write up Couchy . Did you happen to see Brayden George kick a perfect torp from the centre square late in the session and it went through goal post high? 60+ metre kick. But as you mentioned, his field kicking also caught the eye.
Missed that one! The boy can kick it long though, you could have said 60+ drop punt and I would have believed you.

I'm no surgeon or know of the extent of his fracture but I wouldn't have though he'd miss much if any footy at all.
Can’t they just wear one of these contraptions nowadays and get on with it?

Attachments

• IMG_6687.jpeg
    IMG_6687.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
Agree to disagree, in my experience if you are set basic rules and you have a group that follows them, then there is very low risk of those injuries. I.e no leg locks, no spinal locks/neck cranks, let go as soon as your partner taps etc.
They're also not training full blown Jiu Jitsu which will be better on the bodies and better for conditioning. 2 mins on the mat and you realise just how unfit you are.

Having a look at Max's instagram it's interesting how he's tailored these types of sessions to AFL(W) players (probably helps having a brother in the AFL), he mentions specifically that he tries to make them low impact on the players bodies. Stand up is focused on grappling and getting control rather than throwing your opponent to the ground etc.

Biggest thing you've got to manage is hotheads going full bore at it, but I'd imagine professional AFL players would know not to try and injure your teammate.

And as a side note, apparently LDU has been training it for a while with Max, wonder if he was the one who suggested it to the club.

He was not effing around today. Intimidating as fuxk when he is upset with how a drill is going and could easily be heard on the sidelines. But equally as ready to sing praises in front of the group for those who are doing it correctly.

Good. Barassi / Pagan mould. Sorely lacking in today's world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B.George straight to the backline as advised.... seems like he will leap-frogged a few for a spot in the back 6?

Corr, Comben, Lmac
George, Logue, Kerch
Nah starts in the vfl

Hasn’t played a full match since 2 years ago needs match fitness and learning the new role

He was not effing around today. Intimidating as fuxk when he is upset with how a drill is going and could easily be heard on the sidelines. But equally as ready to sing praises in front of the group for those who are doing it correctly.
Thank god. The whole introduction of clarko last year I was concerned he had lost his bite and was overcompensating to the 'new age' softer style. Was worried how much his office job had made to much of an impact on his attitude, as compared to coaching a team in a physical arena.

Admittedly, I was hopeful he was getting back to his past self as I noticed he had come into this year looking a fair bit fitter and more chiseled around the face.

Surprised Brodie Grundy never got look at in the trade period. went for a pick in the 40s to the swans and we give up our pick 40 on draft Night for future peanuts. We’d have enough in the salary cap for someone like him.
Totally agree. We should have gone harder. Imagine him putting it down the throat of our elite mids.

Could understand though that he wanted to go to a team with a more developed list and in contention, he's almost 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back