Roast Training standards / skills and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing is. We have had countless coaches, assistant coaches, heads of football, development coaches, fitness staff, and so on and so on, from different clubs, over the last 10 yrs.

There's no way if standards are THAT bad that someone hasn't said SOMETHING. So what's the limiting factor? Or is it a bit of a beatup? What needs to happen to enact a change?
The running has improved after being a known issue back in the brad days til the noble days

Gym work hard to say, we have a very young team so they will naturally look smaller, genetics plays a part, some do look noticeably bigger

Training intensity still looks poor and is the one I’m most confused about as it is noticeable that we don’t go hard at training and train as if going half pace not sure how clarko has not stepped that up

I want mouth guards at training type intensity for the rest of the year

I reckon player mindset has a fair bit to do with

Look at the pics of Hardeman above? Do you reckon he's hung back moaning about no experience to show him the way? He's probably gone and got at it himself. Same with Sheezel, Wardlaw, McKercher.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
100%.

It's like half the squad couldn't care less about getting stronger, fitter and better, but are there with bells on as soon as there is a video on whether it's parmi or parma...

Not gonna pot the coaching staff yet, but we should be seeing our boys bulking up every off-season. I don't care what generics you have, everyone can build muscle.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%.

It's like half the squad couldn't care less about getting stronger, fitter and better, but are there with bells on as soon as there is a video on whether it's parmi or parma...

Not gonna pot the coaching staff yet, but we should be seeing our boys bulking up every off-season. I don't care what generics you have, everyone can build muscle.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

This 100%

A lot of these players have been in the afl system too long to be having bodies like they haven't seen the gym or picked up a weight In their lives

Many years ago I was watching a doco on the NBA, not that I give a shite about basketball, but I have an interest in basket cases it would so seem.

This lovely chap was talking about the main aim is to remain on the roster, ensures great money without needing to play. Now we haven't reached those levels.

But take LDU, who hasn't really got the best out of himself, but will command a mil per season in 2026. Which would suggest whatever he's doing is clearly enough.

Stephenson, getting 700k to play VFL, hardly a hard luck story.

So some clubs may well be able to demand 100% effort, others will be there to ensure the players have a good life once they get the arse after 4/5 years.

Don’t know about you guys but I’ve played footy long enough to know / notice that after being 0-7 & nowhere near it … this training looks so crap without any sort of intensity or interest… to say we are going to come close to firing a shot this week …
Is there something going on here us members are not aware of ? I’m no conspiracy theorist but FFS … this is just crap .

Want to bring this into this thread

I know our new coaches and staff havent had much time but my gosh ******* change this now. This has been a issue since Brad Scott

This 100%

A lot of these players have been in the afl system too long to be having bodies like they haven't seen the gym or picked up a weight In their lives

weak gravity falls GIF

I think the answer to these issues plus leadership guts and commitment has really been staring us in the face for years
and that is to bring in the core of our ‘90’s premiership sides to start working with the playing group. So I’m talking 5-6 guys including Carey, Archer, Stevens and McCartney. We invite them into the club for burying the hatchet talks and aspiring to a greater cause, the future of NMFC. We get them onboard and then they work with the players to improve their performance on the ground by improving their performances between the ears and inside their chests. I would structure it something like this:

Phase 1: get the greats on the same page with a mandate to lift all aspects of our culture and performance.

Phase 2: open kimono session with the playing group, no coach’s, no cameras no phones. Any questions allowed all answers are honest.

Phase 3: the greats work with the current leadership group 1on1 and as a group 2-3 times a week.

Phase 4: after 3 weeks of the above reconvene the playing group have another question and honest answer session, implement any changes to leadership group that result. Set up a time for an all attendance team/leadership/endurance building camp with group must be at least 4 days, run by the greats no phones etc only outsiders cooks/cleaners

Phase 5: next match the greats are all in attendance together highlighted by club and media whatever the results everyone agrees NMFC are on the right track, prodigal sons, redemption stories ya da ya da ya da

Phase 6: maintenance visits by the greats with the leadership group ( they can take it on turns) once a week. Greats maintain any individual relationships they have developed with players.

Phase: 7 end of season get together with the greats initially focused on reflection on the season and how they’re feeling, then open it up to coaches and support staff then end with all NMFC staff players and partners kids bbq and piss up!!!

Season 2025 run a modified program of the above to enhance culture, support leaders and induct new players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This 100%

Players their age should be putting on 1.5-3kg of lean muscle per year and maintain their goal weight once reached.

Hardeman as an example could put on 10-15kgs in a few years without compromising on speed, good coaches develop that hand in hand.

Probably in reference to Mick McGuane's article in the HSun.
I've been to a number of Melbourne teams training this season.

North is a long way back in comparison.

It's the little things:

No vocals
No direction
No punishment for poor effort
No acknowledgment for great effort

The last few weeks I've watched half the team practicing snaps for 45 minutes... Proper under 16 before and after training nonsense.

Seems all a bit off.

(It is an improvement from last year though...)

It's the little things:

No vocals
No direction

The last few weeks I've watched half the team practicing snaps for 45 minutes... Proper under 16 before and after training nonsense.

Seems all a bit off.

Fundamentals.

They don’t exist at this club.

The club should send players to the AIS in Canberra for weeks during preseason to be shown what Olympic standard preparation looks like. Most of our players don't look anything like elite athletes. They probably think they work hard but they'd be in for a rude shock.

Sheezel would happily go to an AIS type camp in his break - not so much the others.

It's the little things:

No vocals
No direction

Seems all a bit off.

So the other teams you have watched, is it the players or coaches who are noticeably leading the way in training sessions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back