Review Training standards / skills and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we miss the Utah trips lol

Jokes aside, I think that was a good aspect of the early Scott tenure.

Seeing all the boys far away trekking in the snow, doing silly vids back at the lodges etc would've been great for team bonding and allowed for them to really focus on training. The altitude aspect was just a nice bonus if it had any benefit at all.

We were pretty fit and had fairly low injury counts over the period to about 2015-16.

Definitely a huge issue - every time we've been up to our ears in a game this year we've died in the arse in the last quarter and got run down to either win or lose narrowly.

But on Sunday for me was the skills. FMD. The effort was there but it took over ten minutes for our first effective kick (that I can recall). Everyone's fresh, everyone's keen, but we can't hit an elephant's arse from three steps. They kick two goals, we dominate the next 2.5 quarters and we lose by two goals.

Fitness can be improved with a hard focused pre-season. But how we ended up with so many sloppy ball users has me beat.

Definitely a huge issue - every time we've been up to our ears in a game this year we've died in the arse in the last quarter and got run down to either win or lose narrowly.

But on Sunday for me was the skills. FMD. The effort was there but it took over ten minutes for our first effective kick (that I can recall). Everyone's fresh, everyone's keen, but we can't hit an elephant's arse from three steps. They kick two goals, we dominate the next 2.5 quarters and we lose by two goals.

Fitness can be improved with a hard focused pre-season. But how we ended up with so many sloppy ball users has me beat.

Fatigue can contribute to sloppy disposal. Last weeks 4th quarter really shown that.

Just makes it harder overall. It should be the basic foundation for any high performing club then everything can be built from there.

When we don’t have that foundation already built we’re asking all our players to hit targets that is always contested or way more difficult because no one runs both ways to create space or easy positions because we are so unfit etc

Not only that but tackling and pressure takes a lot of running and fitness to do a lot of and consistently across 4 quarters

It absolutely needs to be addressed

Jokes aside, I think that was a good aspect of the early Scott tenure.

Seeing all the boys far away trekking in the snow, doing silly vids back at the lodges etc would've been great for team bonding and allowed for them to really focus on training. The altitude aspect was just a nice bonus if it had any benefit at all.

We were pretty fit and had fairly low injury counts over the period to about 2015-16.

Clarko did a number of Kokoda trips with the Hawks in his early days. The benefits of these trips would outweigh the negative, especially with a young group.

Its mental.

Sheezel is a great kick and he missed his first four kicks under no pressure the other week.

I'm picking him out not cos he's young but cos he's one of the best kicks in the side and has the ability to kick like very few others in our side, as well as excellent endurance.

He's not missing the first four kicks of a game because he's unfit or unskilled. He's both of those things and its less than halfway thru the first quarter.

So unless we completely don't warm up properly (I don't believe that either,) then its cos players aren't focused.

ie They aren't present in the moment playing football. Same reason sides lose composure and drop leads/games.

Viney admitted in the QA that we didn’t focus on our fitness over the preseason and went with the game plan instead.

And I agree with him we need to lift in that aspect.
Thought it was good by viney to offer a counter as to what the focus of the preseason was.

Clearly they are frustrated at the continuity of the core squad, of which some injuries are unavoidable via contact or freak nature etc - but I’ve got a feeling the lads will be but through the ringer this summer.

Kev white is smart enough to manage potential loading issues too so hopefully we have a squad that are just raring to go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was this person suggesting they didn't train hard before the season started? Or is this just something to fit the narrative?

Why wouldn't you say all that before the season if its your job to comment on all the visits you do during the pre-season?

Not buying it.

Was this person suggesting they didn't train hard before the season started? Or is this just something to fit the narrative?

Why wouldn't you say all that before the season if its your job to comment on all the visits you do during the pre-season?

Not buying it.
IMG_6119.gif

I don't know how they train but I have seen how they play and Clarkson does not seem to care that we lose or even about the manner in which we lose. Apparently every one at the club expected to be lucky to win a game this year and this part of the plan.

Lucky Mitch Lewis play last week (I say with a chuckle)

I have seen a few training sessions and they barely break a sweat

First time I agree with The Nostradamus I thought Clarko and the new staff would at least identify that our training is soft as *

Craig at Collingwood sets extremely high standards at training and instead we got a soft fluffy Clarko that is not even concerned to win this year. Where the * is our “bring your mouth guards to training”

Nothing will change unless this is resolved.

Other than some exceptions, our players have not been great at two-way running during and since the Brad Scott days.

When I saw Sydney take us apart at the SCG after our 9-0 start with their hard running and transition, I realised that we had to fix that first if we wanted to compete with the top teams. I am still waiting ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back